Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Anyone know what the deal is w/ SCCO?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by 171590, Dec 1, 2008.

1. I know a few people who have applied there (and I've read a lot of post-ers with the same question) and it seems that SCCO is SUPER behind on interviews. Anyone have any information on that to share? I'm getting ancy since I applied back in September and still no interview. I emailed and asked what the deal is & they gave me a wishy-washy answer that they are behind from the Academy meeting in Anaheim,CA in late October. There is a rumor that they have only had one major interview day!!!! (seriously?!)

Anyone know when the bulk of their interviews happen? Seems like the holidays are going to interfere! :thumbdown: I wonder how far into next year they are scheduling interviews. Insights appreciated.

2. brighteyes5555

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    from what i gathered from my interview invite (received in oct. sometime) they only had two days set: nov. 15 and dec. 13. i don't know if they've opened more days since then.

3. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist

hmmm that is strange. I have an interview set up with them on Jan 24 09. And for the OP, it's kind of strange you still haven't heard back because I sent out my apps 2 weeks ago and received an email two days after for an interview. I would keep bothering them if I was you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP

Thanks brighteyes5555. That's what I have been hearing. I am really trying to be patient but SCCO is THE school I want to go to. Seems like one week passing = 3 weeks! The added stress is that it's getting to be the end of the year--- holiday time---- and I have vaca days I specially saved for interviews. If I don't use them, I lose them in 2009... and I'm not about to let them go to complete corporate waste! Looks like I need to use one to decompress. Sorry. Personal rant. ;)

5. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    When I got my interview invite October 2, they only had two options, like brighteyes mentioned. I had my interview 11/15, and there were 32 people there. Dr. Munroe mentioned on her Facebook SCCO group that they offered 23 of those people from the first interview day acceptances.

Assuming they'll have the same amount of people at all the interviews, they'll definitely need to have AT LEAST 3 more interview dates after December. And that's only making the HIGHLY UNLIKELY assumption that they would accept EVERYONE they interview at all the rest of the interviews. She said during the tour that they fully intend on keeping the class size at 98.

Honestly, if you haven't heard back yet and your vacation days expire in January, you should probably use them. This doesn't mean that you won't be offered an interview, only that they started offering the 12/13 interview back in October, and there's a good chance that it'll be full.

They give 15 days to pay a deposit for those they accept... and for the first interview, that deadline is tomorrow. So try not to get discouraged, because as with any school, there are going to be people who are accepted that release their seat.

Good luck! :xf:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. afasano

afasano ICO class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Does that mean you picked SCCO over SUNY???

7. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    It's looking that way :)

But I paid both deposits just to be sure (SUNY is 100% refundable until April & SCCO gives 500/750 back).

8. afasano

afasano ICO class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student

congrats!!!!
    welll maybe ill see ya @ a conference or something!!

9. oculusmedicus

oculusmedicus Spectator

Post Doc
    I second blysssful's statement

10. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Thanks woman! We'll all have a big reunion :D

11. KeyeL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I applied to 4 optometry schools OSU, FSU, SCO, and SCCO. I had already interviewed and 2 schools and been accepted to 1 of them before SCCO even contacted me for an interview.

When they did send me a letter in the mail, I was offered either Nov 14 or Dec 13 (approximate dates). When I called a few days later, I was told all the interviews are full for the rest of the year... that for me put it over the top and I wasn't going to consider SCCO any more. Just in case I was placed on a waiting list.

They gave me a call 2 weeks before the first interview date, and I accepted. They have a nice campus and seem to have a good program going for them. Apparently this year they only have interviews on 1 Saturday per month, but they have 32 students at at time. It was very organized and efficient, I would say. My group of 32 was the very first group interviewed this year.

I have deposited at SCCO ($750), but I'm also depositing at SCO ($500). Not yet decided where I'm going yet.

By the way SCCO refunds $250 of the $750, NOT $500. I will lose $100 if I back out of SCO and I will lose $500 if I back out of SCCO.

12. OP
    OP

$500 loss sounds like a comittment to me! :rolleyes:

13. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Ah, you're right. I definitely misread the letter. :thumbdown: