Anyone know where to find average GPAs of each dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it'll be helpful in deciding where to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe this is the undergrad GPA of students who are accepted to dental school. I've already been accepted so that doesn't help. I want to know GPAs of dental students while in dental school to see which dental school is harder than others.

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe this is the undergrad GPA of students who are accepted to dental school. I've already been accepted so that doesn't help. I want to know GPAs of dental students while in dental school to see which dental school is harder than others.

The entering GPAs of students can tell you this. If the entering GPAs are higher, then you will probably face stiffer competition at that school. So, use the entering GPAs as a proxy for the relative distribution of GPAs of students at that school.

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

You talk to your momma that way?

The entering GPAs of students can tell you this. If the entering GPAs are higher, then you will probably face stiffer competition at that school. So, use the entering GPAs as a proxy for the relative distribution of GPAs of students at that school.

good point

GPA is a useless metric. Grade inflation is the norm in undergrad around the country. The majority of people in my class were magna cum laude at their respective schools or better, and the class average is somewhere around a 3.3 at my school. But then, a 4.0 is a 95 here and grade scales and inflation are different at different schools.

I know people who had 4.0's in undergrad who are near the middle of the class and people who had poor GPAs at the top. And then people who had 4.0's who are, honestly, idiots and only here b/c of the product of privileged life circumstances.

GPA should not be a factor AT ALL in choosing a dental school. You need to be asking questions like: will I actually get to do Endo or is get going to get referred to grad and I'll have to learn after dental school? Is there a good social scene and camaraderie within and between classes? How much debt will I be in? Graduation and licensure requirements. Etc.

It really is sad dental students are so caught up in this bubble of faux academia and fail to look at the bigger picture of becoming an actual competent doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
GPA is a useless metric. Grade inflation is the norm in undergrad around the country. The majority of people in my class were magna cum laude at their respective schools or better, and the class average is somewhere around a 3.3 at my school. But then, a 4.0 is a 95 here and grade scales and inflation are different at different schools.

I know people who had 4.0's in undergrad who are near the middle of the class and people who had poor GPAs at the top. And then people who had 4.0's who are, honestly, idiots and only here b/c of the product of privileged life circumstances.

GPA should not be a factor AT ALL in choosing a dental school. You need to be asking questions like: will I actually get to do Endo or is get going to get referred to grad and I'll have to learn after dental school? Is there a good social scene and camaraderie within and between classes? How much debt will I be in? Graduation and licensure requirements. Etc.

It really is sad dental students are so caught up in this bubble of faux academia and fail to look at the bigger picture of becoming an actual competent doctor.
I want to like this multiple times.