Anyone knows about DUAL DEGREES like DO/JD or DO/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC Medic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to a dual degree program, specifically DO/JD(or DO/PhD). Does anyone know how the application process for dual degrees works (like by when do i need to have an LSAT score ) and which schools have such programs?

Members don't see this ad.

The application process is different at each school. Some don't require to take an additional Test, while others (DO/PhD at MSUCOM) make you take the GRE. There is no real way to answer this...there aren't too many DO schools - you just have to go to each one and look at their application procedures. I know that PCOM-PA has DO/MBA, DO/MPH, and DO/PhD programs.

Do any DO schools even have a program like this?? This is two very different ways of thinking and the two disciplines are taught in very different ways. It would be very difficult to combine the two at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any DO schools even have a program like this?? This is two very different ways of thinking and the two disciplines are taught in very different ways. It would be very difficult to combine the two at the same time.
I know UMDNJ-SOM has a DO/JD! anyone knows about their application process?

I am considering applying to a dual degree program, specifically DO/JD(or DO/PhD). Does anyone know how the application process for dual degrees works (like by when do i need to have an LSAT score ) and which schools have such programs?

I do think that maybe PCOM has a dual DO,PhD program. I am not very sure though - but maybe this can help you somehow.

PCOM PA has a lot of dual degree options. Most of the time you get the extra degree from another one of the universities here in philly. If I'm accepted for the class of 2012 I'll probably do the joint DO PhD in nutrition. Go to the website (www.pcom.edu) and look at all the options. You'll find all the info you need there.

DO/JD or DO/PhD..... any particular one interest you more?

They just seem to be very different combinations. My wife is a JD and I could not imagine dealing with law school. My eyes glazed over with some of the law stuff I was exposed to, but at the same time she'd 'bout fall asleep if I brought up any science or medical related stuff.

One of our professors is a DO/JD, as far as I know it wasn't a combined program, he did one and then the other at a later time, not sure the order.

I have finished my JD--now hoping to do a DO. I could not imagine doing them both at the same time!!!

VCOM has a 5 yr DO/PhD program.....check it out!!!

DO/JD or DO/PhD..... any particular one interest you more?

They just seem to be very different combinations. My wife is a JD and I could not imagine dealing with law school. My eyes glazed over with some of the law stuff I was exposed to, but at the same time she'd 'bout fall asleep if I brought up any science or medical related stuff.

One of our professors is a DO/JD, as far as I know it wasn't a combined program, he did one and then the other at a later time, not sure the order.
Well I am more interested in DO/JD, but if the application process is too complicated or if I am late applying I would go for DO/PhD.

I'm interested in DO/MPH at PCOM but I don't know anyone else out there doing it. I know about the 5 year track and classes at Temple but can anyone provide more information about what the coursework is like?

Are you only looking at DO schools? I know there are some MD/JD programs.

If you went the JD route would you want to practice medicine or law? And if you're going to practice law sometimes it matters more which law school you went to as opposed to which med school. So you could go to a DO/JD or MD/JD program and maybe the law school that the program is associated with isn't that highly ranked or looked well upon. There's still a health good 'ol boy network component to law and sometimes it's who you know and what school you went to.

I've always been interested in the DO/MBA programs (specifically at KCUMB), but I worry about the additional cost of these programs.

Are you only looking at DO schools? I know there are some MD/JD programs.

If you went the JD route would you want to practice medicine or law? And if you're going to practice law sometimes it matters more which law school you went to as opposed to which med school. So you could go to a DO/JD or MD/JD program and maybe the law school that the program is associated with isn't that highly ranked or looked well upon. There's still a health good 'ol boy network component to law and sometimes it's who you know and what school you went to.

I was interested in pursuing such as well (going for a JD in between 2nd and 3rd year to be better equipped to handle malpractice), but was discouraged to do so after speaking with an attorney that provided a malpractice lecture to our class. He basically said that if I was interested in malpractice law that that law school wouldn't necessarily address it and that I could learn all about malpractice law on my own. He mentioned that all law school did was make you "think like a lawyer".

I heard OSUCOM had their first DO/PhD student graduate last year... Took her ten years!!!! :thumbdown: I almost think it could be easier to get a PhD first. Who knows?

I was interested in pursuing such as well (going for a JD in between 2nd and 3rd year to be better equipped to handle malpractice), but was discouraged to do so after speaking with an attorney that provided a malpractice lecture to our class. He basically said that if I was interested in malpractice law that that law school wouldn't necessarily address it and that I could learn all about malpractice law on my own. He mentioned that all law school did was make you "think like a lawyer".

Yea, a lot of it is learning how to think, research, and the process of looking at a legal issue. From what I've seen the classes and curriculum are pretty similar across the board, while some schools may offer additional classes in something like environmental law, or maybe the ability to become "certified" in a specific area. But really you just "specialize" by getting a job at a firm that does the sort of law you want to do and then learning there.

I don't think my wife's school had any sort of specific med-mal classes, though there may be some law school out there that offers more extensive classes in that area. Kinda funny in that most of her case studies they looked at in classes that dealt with doctors, they mostly dealt with a doctor who was married throughout med school, and then once he started working left his wife for the young nurse.....needless to say I'd get an earful when she'd come home after having a professor go on and on about those cases.

I kinda of got a similar impression from a faculty member here who's a DO/JD, didn't seem to be to all that satisfied with his JD, though I don't believe he ever practiced with it.

I've always been interested in the DO/MBA programs (specifically at KCUMB), but I worry about the additional cost of these programs.

At KCUMB, the MBA costs $26,000, but you graduate in four years with both the DO and MBA program. The programs run concurrently.

Here's some more information on the dual program:

http://www.kcumb.edu/pstudents/mbahealthcare.asp

http://rockhurst.edu/HSOM/programs/domba/index.asp

I am most likely going to enroll in this program.

Enjoy!

Make sure you know what you are getting into before you go for a JD. I have heard of people hiding the fact they have a JD because the market for lawyers is so incredibly bad. You can't go wrong with a DO degree however.

At KCUMB, the MBA costs $26,000, but you graduate in four years with both the DO and MBA program. The programs run concurrently.

Here's some more information on the dual program:

http://www.kcumb.edu/pstudents/mbahealthcare.asp

http://rockhurst.edu/HSOM/programs/domba/index.asp

I am most likely going to enroll in this program.

Enjoy!

Very cool. How is Rockhurst regarded for it's MBA? Just curious. Also, how does that cost compare to getting one's MBA elsewhere??