Anyone learned the Piano quickly as a young adult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last weekend, I went to a garage sale and noticed that someone was selling an electric piano for really cheap. I bargained with him and ended up taking the piano back home.

Later that week, I have been trying to learn how to play some basic songs from YouTube like "See You Again" by Whiz Khalifa or "Shake it off" by Taylor Swift.

As I was playing, I noticed that I am not as coordinated as I thought! How long did it take you to learn piano to play some trendy songs from the radio?

Are there any techniques to speed up my learning process?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I was learning piano, the hardest part was getting my left hand to play base cleft while my right played treble cleft.

Can't give you advice though bc I quit taking lessons. :laugh:

It's harder for your left hand to move indepedently from your right hand as an adult I think. What you can I do practice one hand first, really well, then practice the other hand really well then put ot together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last weekend, I went to a garage sale and noticed that someone was selling an electric piano for really cheap. I bargained with him and ended up taking the piano back home.

Later that week, I have been trying to learn how to play some basic songs from YouTube like "See You Again" by Whiz Khalifa or "Shake it off" by Taylor Swift.

As I was playing, I noticed that I am not as coordinated as I thought! How long did it take you to learn piano to play some trendy songs from the radio?

Are there any techniques to speed up my learning process?
might wanna learn how to read the notes first

Reactions: 3 users
All it takes is some much needed practice! I had piano lessons when I was younger, around 9-12 years old, and I disliked practicing so much at the time and eventually quit. I wish I had practiced more often because I still can't read notes fast enough :( I tried self-teaching myself the ukulele and that was fairly easy to learn trendy songs from the radio, or any song for that matter as long as you had the chords figured out (uku-tabs website is a great source). So if you want to pick up an easy instrument, ukuleles are great!

Reactions: 1 user
All it takes is some much needed practice! I had piano lessons when I was younger, around 9-12 years old, and I disliked practicing so much at the time and eventually quit. I wish I had practiced more often because I still can't read notes fast enough :( I tried self-teaching myself the ukulele and that was fairly easy to learn trendy songs from the radio, or any song for that matter as long as you had the chords figured out (uku-tabs website is a great source). So if you want to pick up an easy instrument, ukuleles are great!

Well since you know how to read notes, it's easier for you to learn now. You can start reading notes again and eventually will read faster :)

I did piano for like 5 years, I took lessons and used
Lesson Book: Piano Adventures
I would recommend getting that book and learning the music note values, reading music, doing/ learning scales and going through those books. Try playing one hand at a time before putting it all together. It takes a good amount of time to be able to read notes quickly and accurately. Good luck!

Well since you know how to read notes, it's easier for you to learn now. You can start reading notes again and eventually will read faster :)

That's true! I just need to put in the time to re-learn again. The piano we have at home is collecting dust with an empty bench to match :whistle: I'll probably get back into it again once the waiting game begins for me next cycle.

Thanks for all the advices! I probably should learn how to read notes before even trying to play a song.

I just want to buy a grand piano for my house one day!

Thanks for all the advices! I probably should learn how to read notes before even trying to play a song.

Lol that's my dream. I'm selling my upright piano and my dad just told me I should wait until I settle and have a house to buy a grand piano since I'm living in an apartment while I'm in school.

I've taken weekly piano lessons for about 8 months and I still feel like a total nub :( reading notes is not hard... Reading notes while coordinating two different hand moments without looking at your fingers is hard...

Yeah def learn the notes first. It lays the basic foundation you need to build on.

Get a basic lesson book like Piano Adventures for Adults and work through it. For now, if you don't have a teacher, use google or youtube if something doesn't make sense. If your aim is to play popular music, if you get good enough with basic music theory (reading music, chords, chord progressions) and technique you should be able to learn things by ear and sheet music. Transcriptions of songs for piano are terrible - you'll need to 'spice' them up yourself to make it sound more like the real thing. If you want to play the really good stuff (Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy) you'll need to take lessons from a good teacher and it is a lifelong endeavor, but totally worth it.

Play it slow first. As slow as you need to to keep a steady tempo without messing up. Make sure you have good posture and hand positioning. Do it for a few minutes everyday. Overtime, you'll notice that you're not even thinking about it because it will become part of your muscle memory.

I first learned it in 9th grade when I got access to an old upright piano. I remember practicing everyday and loved it so much. Agree with MolarBear11, the hardest part is getting your left hand to play independently from your right hand. I practiced each hand separately then tried putting them together. It felt surreal the first time I was able to do that. But be patient with yourself and learn to keep a steady tempo and correct form as PocketRocket said. I still have trouble with that. Looking back, I would rather take beginner classes instead of spending so much time figuring it out on my own and not even getting it entirely right

Learn hands separate like others have said, and after you learned look for the piano piece and try learning the piece, it'll be easier since you already know how to play the song and so you will pick up reading a tad bit easier as well. It takes a while to put both hands together too so don't get frustrated. Once you learn notes, sight reading is so fun and you can make it challenging or easy, piano I awesome!
Source: been playing for 16 years =)