anyone left grad school for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMD?

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last April and did pretty well. Like a fool, I decided to see what grad school was like instead of trying medical school right away. Three months into it I am HATING my life as a Molecular Bio/ Biochem PhD student at the U of Arizona. Fortunately, I was able to cram my AMCAS together at last minute and applied to 8 schools ON the Nov. 1 deadline. That surely will work against me, as will the grad schol thing, right? Is it "bad" to leave grad school? Thing is-- I now realize medicine IS the path for me, but I keep thinking they will turn it on me: "How do we know you won't leave us?", or "Were you not doing well in grad school?" Actually, this last question worries me b/c I might not do that well. I had a 3.9 undergrad GPA and a 33 on the MCAT, but if my most recent academic experience turns out to be a turn downward, won't that hurt my chances? I'd appreciate help from anyone who knows. Thanks--

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
One problem you might run into is that some med schools either require a letter from your advisor promising you'll finish your program b4 starting med school, or will require you to finish your degree before matriculating. (BU and UVM at least do this) I would call a school that you didn't apply to with a policy like this to see what they say, then make your judgement from there. Good Luck!!

....or some schools require you to officially drop out of the grad program if you are unable to finish before matriculation into med school (that may be a good excuse if you apply to one of "those" schools). I'm not sure which schools have that policy...but they're out there. Dude/Dudette, if I had those stats, I would definitely go straight for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know-- I feel like a complete idiot doing it like this. Truth of the matter is I had no idea I'd do that well on the MCAT. I left feeling like I had done horrible. Anyway-- I called Temple, one of the 8 schools I applied to, and told them my story. The admissions counselor I spoke to said "we would definitely encourage you to go ahead and apply." What a great guy.

MDMD,

My best friend was in a position very similar to yours two years ago. After graduating from college, he decided to enter a pharmacology program at a very good school. About six months into his program, he realized that he hated grad school and hated living where he was. He quit his grad school, studied for the MCAT, and is now a first year med student at U of A in Tucson. He had many of the concerns that you have (e.g., what will the adcoms think of me dropping out of grad school?). In the end, he tackled the problem directly by proving to the adcoms that he honestly felt that the medical field was where he wanted to be. It sounds like you have pretty good stats, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble in that regards. If you could get some sort of letter of rec from your current program, it would be even better. Also, some sort of direct patient care is a must if you don't have any already. Good luck.

That's funny-- I'm in grad school here in Tucson at U of A now. Getting a letter is not possible-- these people hardly know me and I'm not a model grad student. It is the most unstimulating environment I've ever been in and I am making that known. I will get rave reviews from my profs/ pre-med advisor back home b/c they loved me there. I have been here only 3 mos, and don't even have transcripts from here. I am thinking of not even mentioning it unless adcoms bring it up (surely they will want to know about what I am doing this year). I have no patient contact, but lots of other "well-rounded" extra-curriculars (pilot's license, publication of a poem I wrote, third-world travel) and long-term research and publication of that as well. Hopefully that will carry me, and I will start shadowing a doc this winter before interviews if possible. I will get this, if not this year, hopefully the next.---

Since most med school applicants don't even have their baccalaureate degree before applying, why do grad students have to finish their programs before matriculation to med? Just interested.

a friend of mine left our masters prog (2yr prog) after 1yr for med schl, but she has 6yrs from when she started to finish. SHe is in her 1st yr now in med schl.

I'll probably end up doing the same cause i wont be done with my thesis, and so i'll have 6 yrs from when i started to finish my thesis. :)

I was in graduate school before applying to med school this year. I did not complete my PhD program (took a masters degree). As long as you are aware of your own motivation for (1) applying to medical school, and (2) leaving graduate school, and can communicate this in a clear and convincing manner in your personal statement, you will be okay. Undoubtedly during an interview, someone will ask you again why you decided to enter medicine, etc., and they will want to know exactly why you wanted to leave grad school (and why you went in the first place).

Think about this: are you looking to medicine because you don't like grad school? Or are you leaving grad school because of something in particular that you do not like (and how is this going to be different in medical school)?

Good luck,
PD

It was always my intention to go to med school. Grad school was supposed to be a back up, but the grad school application calendar-of-events is ahead of the med schools', especially since I was accepted before I even took the MCAT. I struggled with what to do, and informed my grad school. THEY are the ones who suggested I come on out and to leave if I decided medicine was right for me. It never occured to me that the med schools would be the ones to take offense. I figured a master's couldn't hurt, but now I realize I'd prefer the MD alone, and that I can always get a masters in med school, so waste anymore time, right?