Anyone licensed in California after going to an out-of-state school?

  • A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!


5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
I still have almost a year left in my MSW program, but I wanted to get a jump on preparing for licensure. I live in Los Angeles, but am getting my degree online from an accredited school in NY. I will be starting my fieldwork here in LA this week. I will be supervised by an LCSW and was required to get a Live Scan prior to starting, which I believe allows me to qualify under the 90-day rule?

As I'm dealing with an out-of-state degree while being supervised at an in-state agency, with plans to continue working in CA, I'm confused by the requirements and order of steps.

For example, appears to say that I qualify for Path A, and am required to take the coursework on page 2, but appears to say I only qualify for Path B and lists a longer coursework requirement on page 8.

I've reached out to CA's licensing board, but I'd also really appreciate guidance anyone could provide!
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.