Anyone list a shadowing experience as their most meaningful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence about doing this because I feel my shadowing experience actually was very meaningful and did change my perspective on medicine as a whole. However, I have seen some posts/stuff on the web that are sort of advising to stray away from doing so.

I was wondering if anyone has listed shadowing as their meaningful experience or have any thoughts on this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who better to decide what is most meaningful to you but yourself?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Who better to decide what is most meaningful to you but yourself?

My thoughts exactly. But just wanted to get some more opinions perhaps of those who have done this in the past.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am listing shadowing as my most meaningful experience; I have a lot to talk about and it truly did change my whole perspective. My shadowing has been very interactive and hands on, I learned more than I thought possible and plan to shadow until I matriculate.

I plan on making it a most meaningful. What's the argument not to?

Never heard of anyone advising against it. I chose to write about a shadowing job because I could talk about it passionately. It would've been silly for me not to.

I also chose a shadowing experience as my most meaningful. I don't think theres anything wrong with it. Just make sure you explain why it was your most meaningful and you will be ok. :). And I also will be shadowing throughout this next year. I am lucky to shadow a doctor with some pretty awesome connections which allows me to see/experience some really cool stuff.

Building off this idea - what if I list my 4 hours of shadowing as most meaningful (1 of 3, so I view it as my 3rd) it was important for me because I was exposed to the exact patient population I want to work with and it inspired me to keep shadowing this next year, which I am already lining up. The meaningful paragraph gives me space to say all that, but is it really weak given that it was just 4 hours? Again, I view it as my 3rd most meaningful after two much more involved things

I definitely did. Because the doc blew my mind with joy, I spent many hours with her, and I had so much to say about the experience. :)

Yes, shadowing was one of the most important factors in solidifying my commitment to medicine. Of course it was one of my most meaningful.

As someone else said, nobody can decide what is most meaningful for you.

I included one of my shadowing experiences in my personal statement as a major perspective changer in regards to the way I viewed medicine. I also included an internship (glorified shadowing for a summer) as one of my most meaningful. It must have been ok because I got in!

You guys just made my day, I was stressing about this hard.

Lets go Team Shadow!

I'm including my shadowing and clinical experience as most meaningful. What you have to say is more important than what you're talking about.