Anyone looking to do research/work before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choirgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who is looking for something to do since they are pretty sure they will not be going to school in the fall? I currently work in clinical research and will be leaving my position to start med school in August. Do most people already have their back-up plans in order, or are there still people out there looking for options? Just curious in case we look for someone to replace me...

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone out there who is looking for something to do since they are pretty sure they will not be going to school in the fall? I currently work in clinical research and will be leaving my position to start med school in August. Do most people already have their back-up plans in order, or are there still people out there looking for options? Just curious in case we look for someone to replace me...

well... where do you work?

I work as a Clinical Research Assistant in Pediatric Cardiology at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. I am actually an employee of Medical College of Wisconsin, which is right next door to the hospital. I have been in this position for two years and am heading off to med school in the fall, so I am trying to help look for a replacement.
My main job responsibility is working on an NIH-funded multi-center trial that is looking at two surgical options for infants born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. The patients get 4 echocardiograms as part of the study. The doctor I work for is the director of the Echocardiogram Core Laboratory for the study, so we receive all of the echos for the trial to analyze them and collect data.
Outside of this one study, I am also able to see and do a lot of other things in this job. I get to attend fellow lectures and surgical presentation conferences. I have also worked on numerous other research projects going on here in our department. I am actually presenting at a national meeting in June, and I haven't even started med school yet! I have also been able to get clinical exposure, which is something I didn't have a lot of before starting at this job.
Feel free to send me a message if you want more details or if you are interested and want to find out about applying. I am not leaving the position until the end of July, but I know many people may be looking for something to do if they are sure they won't be going to school in the fall so we're looking for people now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good gig. You could try posting this in the "Help Wanted" forum for some more directed attention. Although, I don't know how many pre-meds go there.

That's how I got my current job, guy I knew was heading off to medical school.

I currently looking for a new job because my PI is moving and I can't/won't go with him. At least I should be able to get a raise and benefits out of this;)

The position has officially been posted...if anyone wants to see the job description, you can send me your email address and I will have it sent to you.

We are still looking for applicants for this job, so if anyone is interested, send me a message with your email address so I can direct you to the application.