Anyone lucky enough to turn an interview down yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my chance. I thought I was gonna be able to do it...then I found out that they weren't giving me an interview anyway. It was the ole' "oh YEAH?? you can't fire me, I QUIT!!" Attitude. I wanted to reply to the rejection letter by saying, Dear Georgetown, Even if you WOULD have invited me, I wouldn't have said yes.
But that would have been lame.
Does it feel good to turn down a school?? :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

JayQuah said:
Does it feel good to turn down a school?? :hardy:

Not really. I mean, they were nice enough to show an interest in me, so I felt bad and wrote an its-not-you-its-me email to decline it.

But it does feel better than getting rejected! :)

probably not a good idea because if you so happen to need to go there for residency, then guess who has the last laugh :D

Members don't see this ad :)
nimotsu said:
probably not a good idea because if you so happen to need to go there for residency, then guess who has the last laugh :D
that's ridiculous. You don't have to be a jerk about it, but there's nothing wrong with politely declining an interview.

Don't imagine it's lucky. It's good to have the confidence to do it, but after hoping for so long for any interviews from any of the schools you applied to, turning one down is painful :(

Last edited:
I hated traveling to interviews...in fact, one of the first things I said once i got an acceptance was "I don't have to fly anymore!" THAT felt good.

had to turn down albany, drexel, tulane, and south alabama after i got into some state schools. did not feel sorry one bit, it was a joyous occasion.

786 said:
had to turn down albany, drexel, tulane, and south alabama after i got into some state schools. did not feel sorry one bit, it was a joyous occasion.
I turned down USC after getting accepted at JHU.

It was a painful process because I ended up having to do it like 6 times because they kept processing it as a "postpone" interview even though I clearly requested my application to be withdrawn every time. Kinda crazy.

Indryd said:
I turned down USC after getting accepted at JHU.

It was a painful process because I ended up having to do it like 6 times because they kept processing it as a "postpone" interview even though I clearly requested my application to be withdrawn every time. Kinda crazy.

it sounds like a bad breakup

I had the honour of turning down Albany; if someone told me just 2 months prior that I'd be turning down interviews, I'd ask what he was smoking. It was a mixed feeling. On one hand it felt good to be stickin' it to Albany for not even interviewing me last year. On the other hand I do feel kind of bad about it. If it weren't for the exhaustion, inconvenience, and costs of travelling I would have gone just "for fun".

Messerschmitts said:
if someone told me just 2 months prior that I'd be turning down interviews, I'd ask what he was smoking.

ya, I second that. It didnt feel right, like I should not be turning down an interview :eek:

I've turned down two interviews so far. One was for a safety school that I really didn't want to attend. The other interview I would have loved to have gone to but I couldn't justify the expense of the trip to myself. Neither one felt particularly good or anything like that.

I kinda feel bad about turning down my interview at temple. At first they said i can only have the interivew in october but I could not take a day off work for it so i had it rescheduled for november. The lady even called me back the next day to approve it. Then on the day before the interview, I recieved my first acceptance, and immediately called up to cancel my interview, while still sounding excited becuase of my acceptance. They told me to email them and I just wrote a very generic email telling them to withdraw my app and I didn't even offer an explanation. Should have handled it better...

I do feel bad turning down interviews (though I have fed them plenty of $$$ already), but I don't feel justified in spending another $300 to visit a school I'd love to see, but will almost certainly not attend next year. While $300 shouldn't mean much to me now, it really kinda does (if that makes sense). Plus, I'm tired of travelling. But I'd still love to see the students and school. Maybe if they'd fly me, I'd be more willing to go!

I also have trouble withdrawing pre-interview. Don't know if it's that I want to see if I'd get an interview or not (may be, and I'm ashamed that I'm greedy), or if it's just that I can't absolutely rule out the school as an option yet.

And now I feel bad about "whining" about such a trifling detail, when plenty of people on here are still begging for their first interview! Ahhhhh, I'm a heartless bastard! :(