Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone major in American Studies?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cavgirl, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier

I'm thinking about majoring in American Studies. I've taken a few classes related to it and absolutely love them. Would medical schools look down upon the American Studies major?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lil'trooper

Pre-Medical
    I was a comparative literature major in my undergrad, though I'm not into med school yet. And I took all my pre-req's at a different school, 6 years after graduation.

I LOVE liberal arts and learned a lot. I don't think it's detrimental at all and may even make you stand out more in the application process, as long as all of your science-related school work, MCATs etc. are strong.

On the other hand, your level of exposure to science will be lower and that can be important for the MCAT. Not to mention the fact that if you love your liberal arts work, you might wonder if you should be going to grad school instead of med school...

4. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier

I have heard that it is a BS major. Is it true? Or will it help me stand out a little from the other applicants with science majors?

5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    You're asking two different things here: Is it bad to major in liberal arts and is AmStudies a BS major.

I think majoring in liberal arts can be an asset, as it sets you apart from the steady drone of biological sciences majors. But I'd _really_ recommend taking more than the bear minimum for med school to get a strong science foundation.

As for American Studies, I'm sure it varies a lot from school to school, but I'd have some concerns about it being perceived as a bull$hit major. I was toying with the idea of majoring in it, but the field is so ill-defined that I got nervous about the idea.

There are elements of just about every field in AmStudies (anthropology, history, feminist studies, minority studies, linguistics, sociology, etc.) that it can be a very wide breadth/shallow depth major. I ended up finding what I liked most about American Studies and majoring in that, rather than doing the smorgasborg thing.