anyone majored in a non-science degree in undergrad and got into OD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babiegurlbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just wondering because i want to see what the chances are of getting into OD school when a person did not receive a BS degree.

if the individual has taken all the prereqs with C averages but retakes the courses at a CC level with As/Bs and the experience of shadowing and volunteering, would that help with their application?

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem is not the degree your are receiving, its your C average. Call the school and ask would it help to retake those classes at a CC. I won't even say what my personal opinion is.

Ouch! I actually agree with Sarah.. but just to make sure, you are the one that got C's in all pre-reqs right? Hm.. if you make C's in your pre-reqs, Idk if that's a good sign, because it's pretty indicative of how well you'll be doing in optometry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
if there was a valid reason for those C's in all of the pre-reqs, thats one thing. but, if you just couldn't cut getting above a C in them, you might want to consider a different career. my experience is that optometry school is significantly harder than undergrad. i just finished my first year at PCO and am now starting my second year, and it is tough.

...and i left out that i was a biology major in undergrad.

if the individual has taken all the prereqs with C averages but retakes the courses at a CC level with As/Bs and the experience of shadowing and volunteering, would that help with their application?

It would more than just help. A C average isn't going to cut it. Having a 3.0 is cutting it close, if you have a 2.0, you're in trouble.

Like previous posters said, if you have C's in all your pre-reqs you probably aren't ready for OD school.

Well.. say you really really really want to get into optometry school. I think it would have been better if you retook them at the same place you took them in the first place. The goal is to show them that you've improved with taking it the second time around. Going to a CC and taking them doesn't mean squat because 4 year colleges are harder! The equivalent of an A in a CC is definitely not the equivalent of an A at a 4 year. If you do well on your OATs, then let's talk. I don't mean to scare you or come off rudely, but I think you really need to know what's up. GL!

A BA is possible.

Last edited:
if "that individual" is seriously committed to retaking most/all of her prereqs and expect to get mostly As/ some Bs in it, then that individual will have a good chance at getting into optometry school - of course, assuming that individual would have alot of work/volunteer experience, GREAT OAT SCORES, and other aspects that make such an individual stand out above the rest of the applicants. BTW, i assume you have/ are going to have a BA.

i know too many people who screw up and then say something the resembles the following:
"I am going to retake ALL of my classes, get a killer OAT score, and do lots and lots of volunteering and interning on the side - all within a year and then get myself into optometry school. Hoooah!"
90% of the time it actually never happens. it's kind of like quitting smoking, unless you're absolutely determined and mentally ready to take on the task, chances are you won't be able to cut it.