Anyone move out of COUNTRY away from your SO?

osteohopeful09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm facing the very real possibility I might be heading off to the Caribbean for MD school next year. my girlfriend, whom I was planning on proposing to once I figured out my plans for next year, will be doing a PhD program here in the states.

obviously I would like to get into an American DO school near by, but if I go to the Caribbean, it will be at least 2 years before I can come stateside (if I can even do clinicals in the US, that is).

Aside from coming home for vacations (which will be expensive), I will hardly see her if I go abroad. This feels like such a troubling time coming up. I'm sure she would want to make the relationship "work" long-distance...but... how can we both say how we'll feel after a year or more?

just wanted to vent a bit...

Members don't see this ad.

You also made a post about leaving a motorcycle behind. If you have these things in the States about which you are passionate, maybe you should re-think going to a Caribbean school. They are horribly expensive with horrible residency placement rates. Why don't you wait for a year, improve your application, and re-apply to DOs by your SO?

I have spent time overseas, away from my wife, and let me tell you, it sucks. Don't do it.

You also made a post about leaving a motorcycle behind. If you have these things in the States about which you are passionate, maybe you should re-think going to a Caribbean school. They are horribly expensive with horrible residency placement rates. Why don't you wait for a year, improve your application, and re-apply to DOs by your SO?

I have spent time overseas, away from my wife, and let me tell you, it sucks. Don't do it.
thanks for the input :thumbup: