Anyone moving from Canada to US to go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichiMO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how you are planning on getting your stuff there. I don't know if I should just send them via Canadian post or go through some shipping company.
I have 7 boxes and a week to figure out how to get everything from Montreal to Phoenix.
Any advice would be most welcome!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My partner and I just moved the other way -- Tucson and Seattle to Ottawa. I think your decision depends on cost vs. convenience. If cost is the primary concern, your best bet might be to drive down to Vermont and ship your stuff via UPS. They have pretty good rates for books and such. If you ship from Canada to the U.S., though (or vice versa), UPS will hit you with a huge "customs clearance fee." A shipping company will help you clear customs, but their shipping rates take this into account. Really, customs is absolutely nothing to worry about and you don't need any help with it -- as long as you keep a list of the items and they're all for your personal use, you'll be fine.

You might also check and see if Amtrak can send your stuff to Phoenix. Again, you'd have to drive down to the nearest station in the US, but they have good rates per flat and you can put a huge amount of stuff on them.

If money's not an issue, though, the shipping companies do make it easy (unless you lose your stuff, or they damage it, or you incur extra costs for overweight, ...etc.)

Good luck -- and enjoy the sunshine down south!

I am I am!!! But I'm lucky- I have a Jeep that I'll be taking to Chicago from Vancouver... I'm just gonna stuff it full of clothes, personal items, and do major furniture shopping once I get to the States. Since I've been living at home with my parents for grad school I don't have to worry about relocating all of my worldly possessions.

Still, the thought of moving irks me.

my ex-bf's uncle moved here from canada. He just packed his car full and drove down whatever would fit in there and then just bought new furniture.