Anyone not going to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Anyone not planning to go to residency after graduation? What will you do instead? Will you enter the match in the future? If so, how are chances affected? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you graduate med school then try to match you're grouped into the 'independent applicants' section. This very much reduces your chances of matching.

If you at all think you want to practice medicine in the future, you should apply for the match as an MS4. If not, take time off between M3/M4 and do something else. See how it compares to medicine. You'll have to sell it to interviewers, but it's a better situation than being an independent.

If you don't do the match at all, after a few years it will be like you never went to medical school. Programs don't really want people far removed from medical school without any residency experience unless they're a rural family medicine program that chronically doesn't fill or something. I knew a guy who didn't do the match and went into finance. Now that he's 5 years removed, his MD is worthless except as a source of random information. It would be exceptionally difficult for him to get into medicine again.

Now, if you do an internship year and get your medical license, you can afford a much longer break from medicine. You could even do a few shifts a month at a doc-in-a-box clinic for extra pay while you do whatever else. From that position you could slide back into a residency more easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how hard it would be to do a residency in another country if you got your MD a few years ago.

Some people do MD/JD...

I wonder how hard it would be to do a residency in another country if you got your MD a few years ago.

It seems that most foreign countries will require you to take their versions of the USMLE exams if you have not completed residency training. I think some will allow you to get a license without taking their exams if you have completed residency in the USA. And unless you are fluent in another language, you're typically limited to english speaking countries (Ireland, Scotland, England, Australia, South Africa, etc.)

Some one is working for McKinsey from my school's graduating class.

Hey there. Anyone not planning to go to residency after graduation? What will you do instead? Will you enter the match in the future? If so, how are chances affected? Thanks.

Are you looking for options for yourself to avoid doing a residency?

I am thinking of applying for disability and living off the taxpayers' dime.

lol... i was walking home last night from the hospital at around 1 am cuz i cant afford a car, all day taking care of HIV+ meth addicts who get everything for free - free food, free housing, free healthcare.... who is really smarter? They can stay home all day high as a kite and play video games versus me working my ass off...

oh my point as relating to a disability i see tons of people every day who aren't really disabled getting everything free - their only disability is drug addiction

lol... i was walking home last night from the hospital at around 1 am cuz i cant afford a car, all day taking care of HIV+ meth addicts who get everything for free - free food, free housing, free healthcare.... who is really smarter? They can stay home all day high as a kite and play video games versus me working my ass off...

oh my point as relating to a disability i see tons of people every day who aren't really disabled getting everything free - their only disability is drug addiction

Would that be the right thing to do?

Sigh - I suppose not:( I was really thinking about getting a masters after med school.

Sigh - I suppose not:( I was really thinking about getting a masters after med school.

Hang in there. We work hard but we also contribute more to people's lives than freeloaders.

Take a day off and recharge. Good luck.

If you graduate med school then try to match you're grouped into the 'independent applicants' section. This very much reduces your chances of matching.

If you at all think you want to practice medicine in the future, you should apply for the match as an MS4. If not, take time off between M3/M4 and do something else. See how it compares to medicine. You'll have to sell it to interviewers, but it's a better situation than being an independent.

Great advice.