Anyone not use first aid? DIT +uworld+pathoma sufficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mopitup85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm considering not using first aid as my main study tool, but just for reference. I never got much out of trying to sit down and read 100 pgs etc of first aid. I just don't have the patience and can't retain much that way. Integrating audio learning definitely helps me remember more, like pathoma/DIT style. I've annotated DIT into my first aid. I've started rewatching DIT again and I feel like it's sticking more and I'm considering watching it a third time 10 days or so before my exam. I'm doing a block of questions each day from UWORLD and will finish the qbank probably 1.5X before my test date and am also taking NBMEs to assess myself. In addition I've made 1 pass through pathoma and am halfway through it again. So I plan to have 3 passes of pathoma before my test.

Basically is pathomaX3, uworld X 1.5 and DIT X 3 + NBMEs sufficient for a score of 220-230. Or is not reading first aid over and over a big mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

reading 100 pages at one time is probably at least part of the problem..

Reactions: 1 user
I thought that that's typical for a second or third pass. Don't people review all of first aid in about a week before their exam?

If you're using DIT, then you're going over FA also. Are your NBMEs similar to your goal score?

Members don't see this ad :)
my last score was in the low 200s but I've only done about 25% of qbank. Taking the test in 5 wks. I feel like i'm retaining DIT better than the first time now that I don't have to stop it every minute to annotate/write things down.

Last edited:
but unless you read super slowly, watching DIT even at 2x lecture speed takes more time. When you know the material, reading 100p. is doable in less than 2 hours.

but unless you read super slowly, watching DIT even at 2x lecture speed takes more time. When you know the material, reading 100p. is doable in less than 2 hours.
Your post actually gave me cancer !
100 pgs of FA in < 2 hours

I definitely don't read that fast. Maybe if I knew everything already and it was my 4th pass. I feel like the majority of people I know spend 4-5 hrs reviewing a section.

I gave up on First Aid about two days into my Step 1 studying. Maybe it would've been helpful if I'd been using it throughout the years, but I hadn't. I only did questions- QBank, UWorld, all the Rapid Review and Pre-Test books.

Reactions: 1 user

What now. Pretty sure I couldn't read 100 pages of the "a, b, c, ..."s in less than 2 hoursl

I gave up on First Aid about two days into my Step 1 studying. Maybe it would've been helpful if I'd been using it throughout the years, but I hadn't. I only did questions- QBank, UWorld, all the Rapid Review and Pre-Test books.

Attending. Back in your day wasn't FA like 50 pages long?

:smuggrin: