Anyone on J2 visa now in school or soon joining?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilingdays1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to know if theres anyone on a J2 visa who is currently in school or soon joining? I am on J2 visa, and I believe that one can attend college on the same visa. but many people told me its better to change to F1. If theres anyone in the same situation or been through this process, plz share the info. I would really appreciate it. Happy New Year to all. Take care everyone!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I want to know if theres anyone on a J2 visa who is currently in school or soon joining? I am on J2 visa, and I believe that one can attend college on the same visa. but many people told me its better to change to F1. If theres anyone in the same situation or been through this process, plz share the info. I would really appreciate it. Happy New Year to all. Take care everyone!:)

Hi smilingdays1 I am in the same boat as u are. I have been accepted at UOP. Like u said we need to get converted to f1 visa. I have not called the school yet to know the details. Once I get some information I will surely let u know.

Hi Pooj, Congrats on getting into UOP!! its good to know that there is someone to share the info. Good luck! Keep in touch, and Happy New Year to u!
Hi smilingdays1 I am in the same boat as u are. I have been accepted at UOP. Like u said we need to get converted to f1 visa. I have not called the school yet to know the details. Once I get some information I will surely let u know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have a J2 visa, just been accepted to a Perio program (very exited) :D . I went to a lawyer whith the same question and she told me NOT TO CHANGE MY STATUS. There are a few reasons, Ej. the fact that you can work as a J2 (as long as you dont earn more than the J1) is very helpful in a future whan you apply for residency; you can study without a problem with your J2 and you will receive your OPT (1 year work permit) after ending the program just like with a student visa; you can also change your status any time you want, I mean, if in the middle of your program your husband has to change to a H1 (there for you will receive the H4 with wich you can not work or study) you can simply apply to a student visa and that is it. A lot of people say that having J visas is a pain in the a..... but after talking to the lawyer I realise that it is not that bad..
Good luck

Hey Venedoctor! Thanks a ton for the info! and congrats for your acceptance!!
Hello, I have a J2 visa, just been accepted to a Perio program (very exited) :D . I went to a lawyer whith the same question and she told me NOT TO CHANGE MY STATUS. There are a few reasons, Ej. the fact that you can work as a J2 (as long as you dont earn more than the J1) is very helpful in a future whan you apply for residency; you can study without a problem with your J2 and you will receive your OPT (1 year work permit) after ending the program just like with a student visa; you can also change your status any time you want, I mean, if in the middle of your program your husband has to change to a H1 (there for you will receive the H4 with wich you can not work or study) you can simply apply to a student visa and that is it. A lot of people say that having J visas is a pain in the a..... but after talking to the lawyer I realise that it is not that bad..
Good luck