Anyone on their clinical externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostDr

AlmostDr
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a disease site made up of 8 ophthalmologists and 3 optometrists. I feel like a technician with some of these doctors. Definitely frustrated by the fact that i feel like they are just getting cheap labor from us. anyone in a similar situation??!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

AlmostDr said:
I'm at a disease site made up of 8 ophthalmologists and 3 optometrists. I feel like a technician with some of these doctors. Definitely frustrated by the fact that i feel like they are just getting cheap labor from us. anyone in a similar situation??!! :eek:

1, What is that you want them to do for you?
2. How do you want your externship to be?

I'm a site for an externship and am interested in making as enjoyable as possible for my extern.

Richard_Hom

I made sure the sites that I picked for my externships will allow me semi-autonomy, like how it is at The Eye Institute. I knew by talking to the doctors as well as looking at the evaluations of the site from the class above us.

I am sorry you feel frustrated, I can understand. I know someone in the class above me who feels the same way as you. She tried talking to the doctor, but thats just how the site is set up. She only has to be there three months. So, hopfully, you'll get a more enjoyable experience at your next site! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on externship right now at a VA hospital. I see my own patients and the ODs only come in to check something if I ask them to. Otherwise, I'm on my own and they're there as sounding boards only. I'm loving it. next semester I'm in an ophthalmology clinic with 8 OMDs (I'll be the only OD) so things might change.... I'll keep ya posted.

i'd definitely sit down with someone and tell them how you feel... tell them you know how to do more than what you're doing !! Try to get the most out of where you are if you can... hopefully without hacking them off in the process. ;)

r_salis said:
Do you guys have any classroom responsbilities while you're on externships?

I do have to write two case reports... that's it :) I just turned in my first one today !! But next semester I still have to do that and study for Part 2.. .so it'll be busier.

christie said:
I made sure the sites that I picked for my externships will allow me semi-autonomy, like how it is at The Eye Institute. I knew by talking to the doctors as well as looking at the evaluations of the site from the class above us.

I am sorry you feel frustrated, I can understand. I know someone in the class above me who feels the same way as you. She tried talking to the doctor, but thats just how the site is set up. She only has to be there three months. So, hopfully, you'll get a more enjoyable experience at your next site! :)

Thanks! I hope i have a better experience next time too. I need to talk to the preceptor optometrist. This site is really not too bad but i was really feeling frustrated yesterday. I definitely don't think i want to work at an ophthalmologist's office in the future.

cpw said:
I do have to write two case reports... that's it :) I just turned in my first one today !! But next semester I still have to do that and study for Part 2.. .so it'll be busier.

cpw,

what are the guidelines for a case report?
i.e - how long does it need to be, what should be included in it, do you need to site primary literature etc., and how is it graded (pass/fail/grade)

(I think Im gonna like Optometry school........ :thumbup: )

Tony. said:
cpw,

what are the guidelines for a case report?
i.e - how long does it need to be, what should be included in it, do you need to site primary literature etc., and how is it graded (pass/fail/grade)

(I think Im gonna like Optometry school........ :thumbup: )

at least at UHCO , I write it and the preceptor reads it. If he likes it, he signs it. The schools just takes a copy of it to make sure I finished it. It's all up to my preceptor. The school wants a 3-5 page case summary with etiology of the disease or disorder. Fairly easy and straight forward. I wrote mine in one night once I'd gathered all my research. and yes, you do have to site literature, but no footnotes.. just a list of references.
So basically it's pass/fail, yes.