Anyone on welfare or medicaid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millepora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would seem like it would be possible, since technically we have no income.

Is it possible to get on welfare or medicaid in medical school, or do the stafford loans counteract any chance you have on getting on the two?

Members don't see this ad.

i knew of a couple of classmates in medschool with families who were. their rationale was that it was too costly to buy health insurance through the school for their 3-4 dependents, so they might as well get it from Uncle Sam. it seemed somehow wrong...

I assume if depends on the state in which you live if the loans would impact anything since each state has their own mandate. There are a good number of married with children classmates who get some kind of assistance. Some people take full advantage and get everything and others just get health insurance or food stamps. We have our kids on CHIP and it helps out just enough for us to get by.

may depend state by state, but med student loans are just that.. loans that have to be paid back. They're not income, and don't count against you in considering applying for federal aid. I'm looking at applying for something to supplement family income as well; my rationale is that in the specialty I'm looking at most seriously, the avg income is $400K per year; I'll pay around 1/2 of that in federal, state, and local taxes, which will repay many times over any assistance that I am eligible to receive now. Can't have a lot of pride when you're scraping bottom to pay the bills.