1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone out there try to match in more than 1 specialty?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by fiatslug, Mar 20, 2002.

1. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As a somewhat indecisive second year, and surrounded by many soon-to-be MS4s who seem similarly uncertain of what kind of doc they want to be when they grow up, I just wanted to see if anyone out there gave this a shot. I know it's sort of frowned upon, and requires that you get two entirely different sets of letters, etc. Good luck to all MS4s tomorrow--we're very excited for you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Acinetobacter

Acinetobacter Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Last year, my friend who was an M4 was undecided about what he wanted to do. The only thing he was sure of was that he wanted to go back to Southern California. He applied and interviewed for both both Ortho and Radiology programs. When it was time to submit his list, he ranked radiology programs #1, #3 and #5. He ranked ortho #2, #4, and #5. When the monday before match day passed without a phone call from our administration, he knew he was going back to cali. he just wasn't sure what he'd be doing. When he finally opened his envelope on match day, he found out he was going to be a radiologist.

4. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in a similar position, except that my only goal in life is to LEAVE Southern California and return to the Bay Area, where all is right in the world. Except for the rents... I wonder if you have to get separate Dean's letters for each specialty.

5. hosskp1

hosskp1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by fiatslug:
    <strong>I'm in a similar position, except that my only goal in life is to LEAVE Southern California and return to the Bay Area, where all is right in the world. Except for the rents... I wonder if you have to get separate Dean's letters for each specialty.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">--

It could be worse, You could live in Long Island or NYC and its boroughs ,-- I really wish I had your problem. I am sure most people love it here and never want to leave, but I want out. I would love to be in either southern or northern California. I would fit in there way better than I fit in here.

About trying to match in one or another specialty-- It is hard to show interest in more than one specialty.People can tell if you are sincere or are using one specialty as a back up (for example in case you do not Get radiology you try IM). you might want to get a transitional year and think about what you want to do with your life. I have been told to just Pick one for now and work to it. So I hope to match into surgery and forgo trying to get EM.