Anyone palliated a primary effusion lymphoma before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emt409

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2018-7-5_10-40-1.png

I'm worried boom boom isn't enough for a lesion this size. Maybe 2Gy x 5?

Background: 37yo s/p liver transplant for HCV/etoh cirrhosis who developed HH8 effusion lymphoma thereafter. Has bad CKD, so can longer get much cytotoxic therapy. CD20 negative, so can't get rituximab.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds reasonable. I have given similar palliative doses for visceral kaposi to large fields in the chest and abdomen, which is also hh8 related- never heard of this entity before. If you are giving a really large field to the abdomen, consider a bit of decadron and zofran prior to each treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why try to get cute with palliation? Just do 2 Gy x 10 IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 236642

I'm worried boom boom isn't enough for a lesion this size. Maybe 2Gy x 5?

Background: 37yo s/p liver transplant for HCV/etoh cirrhosis who developed HH8 effusion lymphoma thereafter. Has bad CKD, so can longer get much cytotoxic therapy. CD20 negative, so can't get rituximab.

Have done 4 gy x 2 to larger fields for lymhoma. Effective quickly and shorter treatment duration than 5. Room for more with either if ever necessary, though I get the impression it probably won’t be.

Edit: to answer your initial question, no.

Last edited:
I'm not overtly familiar with HH8 effusion lymphoma, but is it high grade lymphoma? I thought 2Gy x 2 was only used for palliating indolent lymphoma? I'd just do 2-3Gy x 5-10. Either opposed laterals or IMRT.