Anyone planning on STAYING in "foreign" country after attending "foreign" Med Sc

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by mulingo, Apr 5, 2002.

1. mulingo

mulingo Junior Member

I am curious as to whether any of you are actually interested in possibility of staying in whatever country in which you attending medical school. I understand all the reasons for wanting to return to the US for residency, etc. and don't want to address those issues here. I am more interested in hearing from folks who would like to devote their medical careers to developing world issues, specifically working in impoverished areas and focusing on treatable and preventable diseases most commonly associated with poverty?
    Have any of you ever thought of perhaps doing locum tenens (sp?) work in the US supplemented by volunteer or charitable medical work in the third world, since we owe much of our medical opportunities to these countries?
    I would love to hear from like-minded folks who are in for the "long haul" so to speak concerning issues of health and human rights, access to care, development of low cost, high-tech solutions for the third world (public health, prevention, etc.) Thanks a million!!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am very much interested in what you said. I am not sure in what country I will end up or for how long, etc., but I definitely want to work in the underserved parts of the world. I see such a great need there as compared to the developed countries. I mean, in the US, there are regions in which healthcare is not EASILY accessible, but comparing this to certain places in the third world, they would easily take the not easily accessible healthcare over what they have, which may be none at all.
    I think it is important though if you are a doctor practicing in a country other than your own to be very easily adaptable and try to "blend in" with the local culture and traditions. I have seen some American doctors doing volunteer work in other countries that, even though they are doing a great service, still think they are in the US and should still expect the same privileges and comforts.
    Anyway, that is all I have to say for now!!!
    Any thoughts??

4. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I suppose it depends where you practice. If you stay for residency in the place where you attended med school 1) It could be very hard for US citizens to obtain residency in foreign countries straight off med school, because competition among natives is usually high and priority goes to them 2) If you do residency in a foreign country, it could be a barrier later if you wanted to switch countries or return to the US, like you might have to repeat your residency years.

I don't have anything to offer on the 3rd world country front. In several European programs, they slot a mandatory elective where the students Must go to a 3rd world country or an underserved area for a couple months and work there. Some go to Indonesia, others help the indigenous people of Australia, etc etc etc. It's part of their training.

5. abu barney

abu barney resident revolutionary

Certainly. I think doctors everywhere should be more in touch with the poor and needy throughout the world. However, I think this should be most greatly instilled in native doctors in poor countries. From my experience, many doctors in the third world could really care less about the poor and rather exploit their medical degree and US residency to cater to the higher SES groups, ie, to be doctors for the elite, while offers more money. The problem I think is mainly economic. If doctors there were better compensated, they might be less concerned with fighting for the "good life", and hopefully turn to the more serious, yet amenable, problems affecting their societies.

As for US doctors, I think all should do a lot of humanitarian work, inside the US and abroad. Knowledge of medicine is a heavy responsibility, and doctors should feel it as such to those who don't have access to it.

6. IRON_DUKE

IRON_DUKE MEDICAL RED NECK ROYALTY

Mulingo ,

Still waiting for you to get back on the email I wrote you .

Take care ,

Mox

7. loualouis

loualouis Junior Member

Hi,

I believe that more med students should feel concerned about the third world situation. Basicaly, I am studying to graduate in France but I would like also work for a couple of years in your country since it is so amazing. I have been there once in a volunteering program in Philadelphia. I was so surprised to see that in the same city, a University as big as one district of Paris can stand near as many poverty.
    Here even if it is true that there is poverety, poor people can even though access to top hospitals for free.

I wish I could take part to other programs such as year long job in a third world hospital for a residency. I guess it is up to you to consider a career in decisional organisations. For that we should consider a bit more Public Health programs interest.

See you soon all,

Loualouis