1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Anyone planning on taking and preparing for the April 2015 MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Dmnrtsnake, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Dmnrtsnake

Dmnrtsnake 2+ Year Member

How are you feeling about it? Why are you taking the April exam?

Mostly just want to talk to other people who are definitely taking the new MCAT and is applying for entering class of 2016. PM me.

I. am. freaked. out.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    Hi. I have to retake the exam and I'm considering taking the April 2015 mcat exam. To my knowledge, there's nothing we can do about it :/. Just study now. That's my plan. I have to retake the MCAt..unfortunately..so my plan is just to study it all starting now.

Silence in ER likes this.
  4. Dmnrtsnake

hello. It's just the uncertainty that kind of worries me. like how are they going to compare our score with people applying at the same time but took the old mcat? Have you looked at the new materials? How similar are they to the old MCAT?

5. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    So, the other day I went to the bookstore and looked at the 2015 TPR and Kaplan books (for the old sections) I didn't look at verbal...because for those I will get the new verbal anyway to get as much practice as I can. The bio books (aside from the biochem)..physics..ochem..gchem..the topics are basically the same. What I plan on doing is using my 2014 books for content review of the old sections and then buying new books for psych and soc + verbal + biochem (I also think they're adding some weird math/statistics thing to the exam? but yeah..) Oh..also..if you're worried about those sections being changed like I am. I would just go study in the bookstore without having to buy the books and use the practice questions they have to see really how different they are.

Do you know what books you're going to use if you're taking the new exam? I was planning on getting EK psych + soc and ek verbal + princeton psych and soc...and then a biochem book from kaplan or something. Any advice?

Honestly, I think they will be comparing us to the old MCAT people because when I apply at least.the old MCAT still can be used (I'm a rising Junior) so they will compare us..but I'm not sure how they will otherwise it's not fair to the people who took the old MCAT if the new MCAT has more weight. I did read a post on this site that 510 is the new 30? So if I were you I'd aim for 520+ and then hope to get above 515 lol.

If you have any other questions just keep posting xD. I'm also a fellow MCAT 2015er who's pretty scared at how I'm going to study for this...since I'm also a full time student :p.

Last edited: 09.26.14
  6. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    Hey! Also just wanted you to know I checked out Khan Academy just now and it is amazing! It makes me feel so happy! I'm currently organizing a schedule for myself with exactly what resources I will use. I think that's a good start. I could eventually post that here if you'd like!

NicoleA likes this.
  7. litotes

litotes

Pre-Medical
    Good luck guys and let me know what resources you end up using!! I'll be taking it in August, I think.

8. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    So! Right now this is my plan for resources. Do you think there's anything I should add?
    Resources
    Kaplan Review Books 2015 (2014 Released)
    TBR Books 2014 Released
    EK Psych and Sociology 2015 Released 9th Edition
    EK CARS 2015 Released 9th Edition
    Princeton Review 2015 Psych and Sociology
    EK 101 Verbal
    AAMC Official Guide 4th Edition
    AAMC Full Length Sample Test 2015
    AAMC Official MCAT Study Questoins - released early 2015
    Khan Academy Videos
    Khan Academy Practice Passages

9. Dr.TonySoprano

Dr.TonySoprano 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Can we post here a complete list of resources for the new test so that people can pick and choose?

10. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    When you say that, do you mean you want a complete list posted by someone else?

AAMC Resources: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/
    Interactive Tool for What's on the MCAT 2015 Exam -just get to know what the exam is about.
    The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (MCAT 2015, Fourth Edition) - I advise if you get thi probably get it from Amazon.....the shipping for AAMC is hefty.
    The Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT exam (2015 MCAT, Fourth Edition) -online version of practice questions
    Official MCAT Sample Test - Releasing in Fall 2014
    Official MCAT Study Questions - available early 2015
    Official MCAT 2015 Practice Test 1 - Releasing in Fall 2015

Some Video Resources from the AAMC + Khan Academy (Both which are listed on the AAMC webiste for prepping)
    https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/about/initiatives/prehealth/
    http://www.khanacademy.org/mcat

Kaplan Review Set - currently has 7 books out for MCAT 2015.

The Princeton Review Set -already released.

ExamKrackers Review set - releasing October 1st

TBR - I haven't heard anything about when they're releasing their books.

Next Step Tutoring is releasing new things and I'm told they will have ~5 practice exams available to us. They said this in the MCAT 2015 discussion forum under their thread. They currently have a psych and sociology practice questions book.

If there's anything I'm missing feel free to copy and paste this and then add to it!

11. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
    Idk how long it will last, but for the moment you can get the 2015 Kaplan books free as a Kindle edition on Amazon.com. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-7-book-review-mcat-2015-amazon-com.1100796/ If you don't have a Kindle, you can download the app to your pc/mac or iDevice or you can use the Kindle Cloud reader to read it online. I'm almost certainly going to have to retake the MCAT (I got a 21), and I plan to use this.

litotes and aryias like this.
  12. Dr.TonySoprano

Thanks you :) yes please someone add if anything is missing.

13. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    Have Courage! Determination! I got a 29..so I'm retaking as well. Are you definitely taking the April MCAT?

14. Dr.TonySoprano

I took the mcat in August and have to retake due to low verbal score. I don't have time to study for the current test. I feel like studying for the new one would be a better investment since that will be the new test.

I also will not have time to take the test in April due to a heavy class load and research. What I'll probably do is take the test sometime during my senior year around January 2016 and take a gap year. For the next year or so I'll continue with my classes and research while also reading to get my reading comprehension up as well as study psych and sociology. My science scores were pretty good so I'm not worried about those.

aryias likes this.
  15. Evirus

Evirus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Im in 4th year, and Im takiing 2 biochem course during this academic term. Hope those courses will help in MCAT 2015

Im also in a dilemma because Im applying this cycle and if I dont get in with the score I currently, then definitely I would have to rewrite.

But during the time of waiting, I am going to study hard for school courses and get a high GPA cause that will definitely help on application, and in this case the biochem section mcat 2015.

Also maybe do periodic AAMC tests just to keep up the endurance for the exam!

aryias likes this.
  16. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student

Well, I don't know yet. I haven't yet registered as I don't have $100 just lying around. I'd LOVE to have gotten a 29! That's a pretty good score for DO schools, which, tbh, is what I want to attend.

aryias likes this.
  17. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    Yeah! I'm applying to medical schools only :/ so yeah.

That's good! Make sure you keep reviewing for the bio and PS sections. you don't want your scores in those ones to decrease!

18. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    yeah! Good luck! You'll be able to succeed if you have determination and study well! i will probably be struggling to get high scores in my science classes while studying for the MCAT.

19. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
    DO schools are medical schools. The DO and MD are considered equivalent.

TheLeadSeed and TactFR44 like this.
  20. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    I know. I just feel like it's too complicated for me to fully grasp. When my application cycle approaches (next summer ish) I will probably consider my options then.

I just want to approach one thing at a time you know? :]

21. litotes

litotes

Pre-Medical
    personally, I don't see why you would decide on MD vs DO until you get your MCAT and can see where your scores + GPA would place you in terms of competitiveness for different schools

aryias and Dr.TonySoprano like this.
  22. banzi22

banzi22

Pre-Medical
    UGH I am in the same boat. I have to retake the mcat too and at this point I think I'll have to retake the NEW mcat... What are you doing to study for it? Also, any reasons why you're not retaking the old mcat?

aryias likes this.
  23. Dmnrtsnake

hey guys, sorry haven't check in for a while. I asked the next step tutor a question about practice exams, and basically they suggest we focus on content review for now and don't need to worry about practice tests until april. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-2015-discussion.1053559/#post-15726928
    which is something that I am happy about because I was super anxious about whether we will be able to get enough practice for the exam.

anyways, ariyas, those khan academy things are really good. I found some additional psychology and sociology resources

http://www.sociologyguide.com/basic-concepts/
    http://www.psychologyconcepts.com/

for those of you still taking classes, how are you planning your MCAT study around classes?I hate that when I have an exam coming up I fall behind on my schedule which makes me anxious. Any suggestions on a way to keep a flexible schedule while still getting things done?

24. aryias

aryias

Pre-Medical
    I have a bunch of resources and i'm starting to study now. Verbal especially. I live in CA and can't affor to go out of state to take the old exam =(
    I'm starting now! If you start now and budget your time wisely you should be able to do it.

25. TactFR44

TactFR44

Pre-Medical
    In a hospital, no one cares whether you are DO/MD. The only ones who do care are the doctors with their heads up their rear ends.

26. aquarius67

aquarius67

Pre-Medical
    I'm also taking the MCAT on April 17th. I am a senior who is about to graduate, so I won't be taking a biochem class. I'll be self -teaching it to myself using lipincott/ online lectures from Oregon state university. Apparently, the new test tests only one 1 semester of general biology (presumably heavily), but I'm hoping it will be fine. I don't think there are other resources listed yet except for the ones already mentioned. Does anyone know if AAMC will post another practice test?

27. litotes

litotes

Pre-Medical
    I don't think they will before your test date, alas

28. iamjohn

iamjohn

Pre-Medical
    does anyone know if there is a schedule posted somewhere for studying the new mcat?

TheLeadSeed likes this.
  29. TheLeadSeed

TheLeadSeed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  30. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

While I may not be taking the 2015 exam with you guys, but I definitely empathize with your uncertainty and hesitation of sitting for a brand new exam. But keep in mind, you guys will NOT be alone. There will be ~90k MCAT testers who will be facing the same new exam with limited available resources so the percentiles and scaled scores will be reflective of that (hopefully).

My best advice to anyone taking the MCAT now, tomorrow, or in 6 months is to really develop your own individualized plan. You know yourself how you study best. You got through undergrad premed classes and you know what study techniques work for you. This exam is NO different. You need preparation, focus, consistency, reliable material, and above all, self-confidence!

Wishing you all the best!

31. Morpheses

Morpheses 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Judging on how well I did on the december 6th exam, I'll be retaking. Hopefully I wont have to though!!

32. Morpheses

Morpheses 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is one on this forum post, though it's by NextStep, a relatively new program designed for the new exam. Idk how much to trust them as would anyone with something new, but it's worth a look. Also, you can always change the guide to your specific needs. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-study-strategies-and-study-plans.1053555/

do Ctrl+F for excel and it should show a downloadable schedule file

33. Isabelle28

Isabelle28

Pre-Medical
    hey guys, im going to be studying for the new mcat and i have graduated in 2014. I haven't taken psych or soc... do you think its a good idea to enroll in those classes next semester to have those under my belt for the exam or just use prep materials. are psych adn soc required for med school 2015 and beyond?

34. TheLeadSeed

TheLeadSeed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    @Isabelle28 Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think soc and psych are necessary classes for med school admittance (need 1 year gen chem, 1 year orgo, 1 year bio, 1 year physics, and some want biochem and stat and english). Psych and soc aren't too difficult to self-teach, but if you can take a class, I would recommend it. When do you plan on taking the MCAT?

35. NothingWasTheSame

NothingWasTheSame 2+ Year Member

I plan on taking the new MCAT in April/ May.. About to start studying this week. What are you all using to study?? I was thinking about using old material. And buying new material only for Sociology, Psychology and Biochem.

36. summergirl

summergirl 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll sign up for the May 22nd date:scared:

37. The Brown Knight

The Brown Knight

Pre-Medical
    For retakers, why don't you guys sign up for a 01/23 spot of which several seem to be opening now?

38. RodofAsclepius

RodofAsclepius 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What materials/courses are y'all using to prepare? I took TPR course for the current MCAT and was thinking about using it again for MCAT 2015. But I wanted to check out the other options out there. Can anyone who has already registered for a course (TPR, Kaplan, EK, etc) tell me what the materials both in book form and online look like?

Would it even be worth taking the prep course given how early it is in the new MCAT's "life"?

39. Silence in ER

Silence in ER 2+ Year Member

i might have to, didn't feel like I did so hot on my last mcat. So I want to start know. I'll probably buy a biochem book and read it while waiting for scores to come out.

40. Next Step Tutor

Next Step Tutor MCAT Guru 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN
    Sponsor

About the ads