Anyone planning on taking and preparing for the April 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmnrtsnake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you feeling about it? Why are you taking the April exam?

Mostly just want to talk to other people who are definitely taking the new MCAT and is applying for entering class of 2016. PM me.

I. am. freaked. out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I have to retake the exam and I'm considering taking the April 2015 mcat exam. To my knowledge, there's nothing we can do about it :/. Just study now. That's my plan. I have to retake the MCAt..unfortunately..so my plan is just to study it all starting now.

Reactions: 1 user
hello. It's just the uncertainty that kind of worries me. like how are they going to compare our score with people applying at the same time but took the old mcat? Have you looked at the new materials? How similar are they to the old MCAT?

So, the other day I went to the bookstore and looked at the 2015 TPR and Kaplan books (for the old sections) I didn't look at verbal...because for those I will get the new verbal anyway to get as much practice as I can. The bio books (aside from the biochem)..physics..ochem..gchem..the topics are basically the same. What I plan on doing is using my 2014 books for content review of the old sections and then buying new books for psych and soc + verbal + biochem (I also think they're adding some weird math/statistics thing to the exam? but yeah..) Oh..also..if you're worried about those sections being changed like I am. I would just go study in the bookstore without having to buy the books and use the practice questions they have to see really how different they are.

Do you know what books you're going to use if you're taking the new exam? I was planning on getting EK psych + soc and ek verbal + princeton psych and soc...and then a biochem book from kaplan or something. Any advice?

Honestly, I think they will be comparing us to the old MCAT people because when I apply at least.the old MCAT still can be used (I'm a rising Junior) so they will compare us..but I'm not sure how they will otherwise it's not fair to the people who took the old MCAT if the new MCAT has more weight. I did read a post on this site that 510 is the new 30? So if I were you I'd aim for 520+ and then hope to get above 515 lol.

If you have any other questions just keep posting xD. I'm also a fellow MCAT 2015er who's pretty scared at how I'm going to study for this...since I'm also a full time student :p.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Also just wanted you to know I checked out Khan Academy just now and it is amazing! It makes me feel so happy! I'm currently organizing a schedule for myself with exactly what resources I will use. I think that's a good start. I could eventually post that here if you'd like!

Good luck guys and let me know what resources you end up using!! I'll be taking it in August, I think.

Good luck guys and let me know what resources you end up using!! I'll be taking it in August, I think.
So! Right now this is my plan for resources. Do you think there's anything I should add?
Resources
Kaplan Review Books 2015 (2014 Released)
TBR Books 2014 Released
EK Psych and Sociology 2015 Released 9th Edition
EK CARS 2015 Released 9th Edition
Princeton Review 2015 Psych and Sociology
EK 101 Verbal
AAMC Official Guide 4th Edition
AAMC Full Length Sample Test 2015
AAMC Official MCAT Study Questoins - released early 2015
Khan Academy Videos
Khan Academy Practice Passages

same question,Can we post here a complete list of resources for the new test so that people can pick and choose?
b4gaWr
When you say that, do you mean you want a complete list posted by someone else?

AAMC Resources: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/
Interactive Tool for What's on the MCAT 2015 Exam -just get to know what the exam is about.
The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (MCAT 2015, Fourth Edition) - I advise if you get thi probably get it from Amazon.....the shipping for AAMC is hefty.
The Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT exam (2015 MCAT, Fourth Edition) -online version of practice questions
Official MCAT Sample Test - Releasing in Fall 2014
Official MCAT Study Questions - available early 2015
Official MCAT 2015 Practice Test 1 - Releasing in Fall 2015

Some Video Resources from the AAMC + Khan Academy (Both which are listed on the AAMC webiste for prepping)
https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/about/initiatives/prehealth/
http://www.khanacademy.org/mcat

Kaplan Review Set - currently has 7 books out for MCAT 2015.

The Princeton Review Set -already released.

ExamKrackers Review set - releasing October 1st

TBR - I haven't heard anything about when they're releasing their books.

Next Step Tutoring is releasing new things and I'm told they will have ~5 practice exams available to us. They said this in the MCAT 2015 discussion forum under their thread. They currently have a psych and sociology practice questions book.

If there's anything I'm missing feel free to copy and paste this and then add to it!

Idk how long it will last, but for the moment you can get the 2015 Kaplan books free as a Kindle edition on Amazon.com. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-7-book-review-mcat-2015-amazon-com.1100796/ If you don't have a Kindle, you can download the app to your pc/mac or iDevice or you can use the Kindle Cloud reader to read it online. I'm almost certainly going to have to retake the MCAT (I got a 21), and I plan to use this.

Reactions: 1 users
When you say that, do you mean you want a complete list posted by someone else?

AAMC Resources: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/
Interactive Tool for What's on the MCAT 2015 Exam -just get to know what the exam is about.
The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (MCAT 2015, Fourth Edition) - I advise if you get thi probably get it from Amazon.....the shipping for AAMC is hefty.
The Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT exam (2015 MCAT, Fourth Edition) -online version of practice questions
Official MCAT Sample Test - Releasing in Fall 2014
Official MCAT Study Questions - available early 2015
Official MCAT 2015 Practice Test 1 - Releasing in Fall 2015

Some Video Resources from the AAMC + Khan Academy (Both which are listed on the AAMC webiste for prepping)
https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/about/initiatives/prehealth/
http://www.khanacademy.org/mcat

Kaplan Review Set - currently has 7 books out for MCAT 2015.

The Princeton Review Set -already released.

ExamKrackers Review set - releasing October 1st

TBR - I haven't heard anything about when they're releasing their books.

Next Step Tutoring is releasing new things and I'm told they will have ~5 practice exams available to us. They said this in the MCAT 2015 discussion forum under their thread. They currently have a psych and sociology practice questions book.

If there's anything I'm missing feel free to copy and paste this and then add to it!
Thanks you :) yes please someone add if anything is missing.

Idk how long it will last, but for the moment you can get the 2015 Kaplan books free as a Kindle edition on Amazon.com. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-7-book-review-mcat-2015-amazon-com.1100796/ If you don't have a Kindle, you can download the app to your pc/mac or iDevice or you can use the Kindle Cloud reader to read it online. I'm almost certainly going to have to retake the MCAT (I got a 21), and I plan to use this.
Have Courage! Determination! I got a 29..so I'm retaking as well. Are you definitely taking the April MCAT?

Have Courage! Determination! I got a 29..so I'm retaking as well. Are you definitely taking the April MCAT?
I took the mcat in August and have to retake due to low verbal score. I don't have time to study for the current test. I feel like studying for the new one would be a better investment since that will be the new test.

I also will not have time to take the test in April due to a heavy class load and research. What I'll probably do is take the test sometime during my senior year around January 2016 and take a gap year. For the next year or so I'll continue with my classes and research while also reading to get my reading comprehension up as well as study psych and sociology. My science scores were pretty good so I'm not worried about those.

Im in 4th year, and Im takiing 2 biochem course during this academic term. Hope those courses will help in MCAT 2015

Im also in a dilemma because Im applying this cycle and if I dont get in with the score I currently, then definitely I would have to rewrite.

But during the time of waiting, I am going to study hard for school courses and get a high GPA cause that will definitely help on application, and in this case the biochem section mcat 2015.

Also maybe do periodic AAMC tests just to keep up the endurance for the exam!

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I don't know yet. I haven't yet registered as I don't have $100 just lying around. I'd LOVE to have gotten a 29! That's a pretty good score for DO schools, which, tbh, is what I want to attend.

Well, I don't know yet. I haven't yet registered as I don't have $100 just lying around. I'd LOVE to have gotten a 29! That's a pretty good score for DO schools, which, tbh, is what I want to attend.

Yeah! I'm applying to medical schools only :/ so yeah.

I took the mcat in August and have to retake due to low verbal score. I don't have time to study for the current test. I feel like studying for the new one would be a better investment since that will be the new test.

I also will not have time to take the test in April due to a heavy class load and research. What I'll probably do is take the test sometime during my senior year around January 2016 and take a gap year. For the next year or so I'll continue with my classes and research while also reading to get my reading comprehension up as well as study psych and sociology. My science scores were pretty good so I'm not worried about those.

That's good! Make sure you keep reviewing for the bio and PS sections. you don't want your scores in those ones to decrease!

Im in 4th year, and Im takiing 2 biochem course during this academic term. Hope those courses will help in MCAT 2015

Im also in a dilemma because Im applying this cycle and if I dont get in with the score I currently, then definitely I would have to rewrite.

But during the time of waiting, I am going to study hard for school courses and get a high GPA cause that will definitely help on application, and in this case the biochem section mcat 2015.

Also maybe do periodic AAMC tests just to keep up the endurance for the exam!

yeah! Good luck! You'll be able to succeed if you have determination and study well! i will probably be struggling to get high scores in my science classes while studying for the MCAT.

DO schools are medical schools. The DO and MD are considered equivalent.
I know. I just feel like it's too complicated for me to fully grasp. When my application cycle approaches (next summer ish) I will probably consider my options then.

I just want to approach one thing at a time you know? :]

personally, I don't see why you would decide on MD vs DO until you get your MCAT and can see where your scores + GPA would place you in terms of competitiveness for different schools

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. I have to retake the exam and I'm considering taking the April 2015 mcat exam. To my knowledge, there's nothing we can do about it :/. Just study now. That's my plan. I have to retake the MCAt..unfortunately..so my plan is just to study it all starting now.

UGH I am in the same boat. I have to retake the mcat too and at this point I think I'll have to retake the NEW mcat... What are you doing to study for it? Also, any reasons why you're not retaking the old mcat?

hey guys, sorry haven't check in for a while. I asked the next step tutor a question about practice exams, and basically they suggest we focus on content review for now and don't need to worry about practice tests until april. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-2015-discussion.1053559/#post-15726928
which is something that I am happy about because I was super anxious about whether we will be able to get enough practice for the exam.

anyways, ariyas, those khan academy things are really good. I found some additional psychology and sociology resources

http://www.sociologyguide.com/basic-concepts/
http://www.psychologyconcepts.com/

for those of you still taking classes, how are you planning your MCAT study around classes?I hate that when I have an exam coming up I fall behind on my schedule which makes me anxious. Any suggestions on a way to keep a flexible schedule while still getting things done?

UGH I am in the same boat. I have to retake the mcat too and at this point I think I'll have to retake the NEW mcat... What are you doing to study for it? Also, any reasons why you're not retaking the old mcat?

I have a bunch of resources and i'm starting to study now. Verbal especially. I live in CA and can't affor to go out of state to take the old exam =(
hey guys, sorry haven't check in for a while. I asked the next step tutor a question about practice exams, and basically they suggest we focus on content review for now and don't need to worry about practice tests until april. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-2015-discussion.1053559/#post-15726928
which is something that I am happy about because I was super anxious about whether we will be able to get enough practice for the exam.

anyways, ariyas, those khan academy things are really good. I found some additional psychology and sociology resources

http://www.sociologyguide.com/basic-concepts/
http://www.psychologyconcepts.com/

for those of you still taking classes, how are you planning your MCAT study around classes?I hate that when I have an exam coming up I fall behind on my schedule which makes me anxious. Any suggestions on a way to keep a flexible schedule while still getting things done?

I'm starting now! If you start now and budget your time wisely you should be able to do it.

I'm also taking the MCAT on April 17th. I am a senior who is about to graduate, so I won't be taking a biochem class. I'll be self -teaching it to myself using lipincott/ online lectures from Oregon state university. Apparently, the new test tests only one 1 semester of general biology (presumably heavily), but I'm hoping it will be fine. I don't think there are other resources listed yet except for the ones already mentioned. Does anyone know if AAMC will post another practice test?

does anyone know if there is a schedule posted somewhere for studying the new mcat?

While I may not be taking the 2015 exam with you guys, but I definitely empathize with your uncertainty and hesitation of sitting for a brand new exam. But keep in mind, you guys will NOT be alone. There will be ~90k MCAT testers who will be facing the same new exam with limited available resources so the percentiles and scaled scores will be reflective of that (hopefully).

My best advice to anyone taking the MCAT now, tomorrow, or in 6 months is to really develop your own individualized plan. You know yourself how you study best. You got through undergrad premed classes and you know what study techniques work for you. This exam is NO different. You need preparation, focus, consistency, reliable material, and above all, self-confidence!

Wishing you all the best!

Judging on how well I did on the december 6th exam, I'll be retaking. Hopefully I wont have to though!!

does anyone know if there is a schedule posted somewhere for studying the new mcat?
There is one on this forum post, though it's by NextStep, a relatively new program designed for the new exam. Idk how much to trust them as would anyone with something new, but it's worth a look. Also, you can always change the guide to your specific needs. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-study-strategies-and-study-plans.1053555/

do Ctrl+F for excel and it should show a downloadable schedule file

hey guys, im going to be studying for the new mcat and i have graduated in 2014. I haven't taken psych or soc... do you think its a good idea to enroll in those classes next semester to have those under my belt for the exam or just use prep materials. are psych adn soc required for med school 2015 and beyond?

@Isabelle28 Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think soc and psych are necessary classes for med school admittance (need 1 year gen chem, 1 year orgo, 1 year bio, 1 year physics, and some want biochem and stat and english). Psych and soc aren't too difficult to self-teach, but if you can take a class, I would recommend it. When do you plan on taking the MCAT?

I plan on taking the new MCAT in April/ May.. About to start studying this week. What are you all using to study?? I was thinking about using old material. And buying new material only for Sociology, Psychology and Biochem.

i might have to, didn't feel like I did so hot on my last mcat. So I want to start know. I'll probably buy a biochem book and read it while waiting for scores to come out.