Anyone planning to meet their future wifey/hubby in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that when first year matriculants enter school, roughly 50% are either in a serious relationship or are engaged/married.

i was like WTF???

50% of the class. that means 25% guys and 25% girls. hypothetically.

which slims my chances to very low of finding my future wife. because the girls at my college are so ugly. i swear. either they are thugs, or someone busted them in the face with something. and plus, my school is only 40% girls. so not only are the goods odd, but the odds are not good....

help! where is my future wife at!

Members don't see this ad.

theunderdog said:
I heard that when first year matriculants enter school, roughly 50% are either in a serious relationship or are engaged/married.

i was like WTF???

which slims my chances to very low of finding my future wife. because the girls at my college are so ugly. i swear. either they are thugs, or someone busted them in the face with something. and plus, my school is only 40% girls. so not only are the goods odd, but the odds are not good....

There is always online dating services and mailbridal services, in fact I think there is a dating service for health professionals only.

Members don't see this ad :)
medhacker said:
There is always online dating services and mailbridal services, in fact I think there is a dating service for health professionals only.

hey you hear anything from NJMS yet?

theunderdog said:
hey you hear anything from NJMS yet?

Not a word yet homie, I have to return their parking decal

:laugh:

hey buddy, when did you interview again?

In response to the OP: Yes, I'm counting on it. :D

theunderdog said:

i was like WTF???

hehe, hypothetically, it would be 50% of both sexes! that is assuming the rates for each are equal. i'll assume that little mishap was just your subconscious mind trying to make your prospects look a bit less grim...

theunderdog said:

i was like WTF???

Hey I'm one of those girls who got busted in the face with something and I'll be one of the ones that enter med school in a serious relationship/engaged... Don't assume all the cute ones will be taken! Some of that percentage are the ugly ones like me who just got lucky!

Doc.Holliday said:
hehe, hypothetically, it would be 50% of both sexes! that is assuming the rates for each are equal. i'll assume that little mishap was just your subconscious mind trying to make your prospects look a bit less grim...

nah man, u did the math wrong.

just say there were 100 students matriculated first year.

50 students, just say, were already married or committed.

that leaves 50 total single students that are looking.

hypothetically, 25 would be single girls and 25 would be single guys.

that means only 25% girls would be available to me, and 25% guys be available to the gay guys and single girls.

so ha! i got an A in algebra for something!

theunderdog said:

that means only 25% girls would be available to me, and 25% guys be available to the gay guys and single girls.

50% of the girls would be single (25/50)

50% of the guys would be single

theunderdog said:

right, i misunderstood, i thought you were saying 25% of the female/male students, not 25% of the entire class. i apologize. jeez dude, you need to specify such things to avoid such awkward situations in the future!

theunderdog said:

You're still wrong. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
unfrozencaveman said:

Yes, and the OP also assumes that of the remaining women, they are straight and of the appropriate age range. His best bet is going to be outside of the med school. Or become a monk.

one word: nurses

I plan on getting my MR degree, meet some hot doctor-to-be lady and then be a stay-at-home dad. I'm all about equal rights

i sure hope that that won't be the case, i want to come home and not talk about medicine or science at all :sleep:

but when you meet the right person, they're the right person, and that's that.

i'm hoping to go to a med school with a nice big undergrad campus nearby :laugh:

unfrozencaveman said:

lol. and that is why you're still in the caveman stages of algebra.

25% of the total class would be single girls.

the other 25% of the total class would be single guys.

based on the same statistical numbers and hypothetical situation as described above.

Why is everyone so into getting married?

I have pretty much no intention whatsoever of getting married in med school. If it happens, I guess it happens, but I would be mighty surprised if it did.

the negative 1 said:
Amen, brother.

Don't forget nursing students...oh,man.

unfortunately for us (and if we're straight guys), then we even have a slimmer chance for nursing students. more and more males are becoming nurses.

theunderdog said:
unfortunately for us (and if we're straight guys), then we even have a slimmer chance for nursing students. more and more males are becoming nurses.
Well if you were a gold-digging nurse, would you rather go for another nurse or a doctor? (I'm not saying all nurses are gold-diggers :) )

"i'm just wondering why the postman hasn't delivered my wife yet"

big ups to anyone who knows what artist/song thats from.
-mota

DaMota said:
"i'm just wondering why the mailman hasn't delivered my wife yet"

-mota
Maybe there was a snowstorm in Siberia?

why do so many people get married before or during med school?

anystream said:
why do so many people get married before or during med school?

Med school aside, many people look for a mate in their early to mid twenties - especially girls, because they have the biological clock to worry about.

Meh, I don't know if i'll necessarily find Mrs. Right in med school, but i imagine i may wind up getting married in med school or residency. Personally, i don't want to get married anytime soon....my parents (being middle-eastern) are trying to push me otherwise.

hehehe, we'll see who wins this one.

All this talk about getting married is scaring me. What is the rush, even 50 year old women are having babies nowadays.

yup will definately be lookin ;)

dude we are going to be doctors. that means marrying some 27 year old broad once we are 35 and out of residency.

unfrozencaveman said:
Why is everyone so into getting married?

I have pretty much no intention whatsoever of getting married in med school. If it happens, I guess it happens, but I would be mighty surprised if it did.

word

theunderdog said:
lol. and that is why you're still in the caveman stages of algebra.

25% of the total class would be single girls.

the other 25% of the total class would be single guys.

based on the same statistical numbers and hypothetical situation as described above.

that's a really confusing way of putting it then...

if 1/2 the class is single, then your chance of meeting a single PERSON is 50%, and meeting a single GIRL is 25%...so if you're into girls and girls only, you'll find a single girl 50% of the time.

I too will be looking for that someone in med. school... :rolleyes:

One problem at a time for me though. :p First I gotta get a girlfriend (in med school or otherwise) before we can talk about marriage, obviously. Well, even before that I am trying to get into a good school. Being single and lonely does suck when everyone around is already hitched, some with children!

I'm torn. Mayo would have a good selection of Lutheran guys, but my family would like me to marry a Southerner so maybe Duke would be a better choice. For now, I am simply going to wait for my acceptance offers. In due time, they will of course arrive (how could anyone reject me???) And then, I will choose the school that I feel will provide me the most chance of mating success... For after all, isn't that what higher education for women is all about? :laugh:
Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're meant to get married in med school, you will whether you meet the solitary single person in your class or a fabulously wealthy attorney at your church...

mashce said:
I'm torn. Mayo would have a good selection of Lutheran guys, but my family would like me to marry a Southerner so maybe Duke would be a better choice. For now, I am simply going to wait for my acceptance offers. In due time, they will of course arrive (how could anyone reject me???) And then, I will choose the school that I feel will provide me the most chance of mating success... For after all, isn't that what higher education for women is all about? :laugh:
Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're meant to get married in med school, you will whether you meet the solitary single person in your class or a fabulously wealthy attorney at your church...

Either Mayo or Duke would be good for you I think...that way you can free up that OSU acceptance for me! Hey btw I think we interviewed at OSU on the same day! Are you that tall pretty girl from Arkansas? I'm the Chinese guy who liked your accent (though you claimed you had none!) and joked about the adcom filming us and seeing which one went crazy first in the waiting room. Looks like you were the better applicant. :p

Messerschmitts said:
Either Mayo or Duke would be good for you I think...that way you can free up that OSU acceptance for me! Hey btw I think we interviewed at OSU on the same day! Are you that tall pretty girl from Arkansas? I'm the Chinese guy who liked your accent (though you claimed you had none!) and joked about the adcom filming us and seeing which one went crazy first in the waiting room. Looks like you were the better applicant. :p

let the courting begin! it sounds like a missed connection from craigslist

Messerschmitts said:
Looks like you were the better applicant. :p

Nope, but I offered to sleep with the dean, so maybe I seemed more enthusiastic :laugh: JK- It's sometimes just the luck of the draw with interviewers... I think mine probably said good things about me since she felt guilty about being half an hour late:) I thought from your MDapplicants profile that you were the one I'd interviewed with, but I wasn't sure. I promise if I get Mayo or Duke, I'll withdraw from Ohio.... :D

caffeine37 said:
let the courting begin! it sounds like a missed connection from craigslist

You just had to bold everything, didn't you caffeine37? I tell no lies, she knows she's cute. :D I'm a real sucker for southern accents too. Damn, where's that blushing emoticon they have on other forums? Closest they have is :oops: Ha ha but no, she's going to Duke or Mayo, didn't you hear (hopefully, for both of us)! We'll be nowhere near each other.

mashce said:
Nope, but I offered to sleep with the dean, so maybe I seemed more enthusiastic :laugh: JK-

We can add spunk and sense of humour to the list of her many lovely attributes. ;)

theunderdog said:
I'm not sure what nursing students you've seen, but the classes I see are like 85-90% female. And of that percentage, at least 2/3 are smoking hot. :D

Besides, I'm not talking about marriage at all.

the negative 1 said:
I'm not sure what nursing students you've seen, but the classes I see are like 85-90% female. And of that percentage, at least 2/3 are smoking hot. :D

Besides, I'm not talking about marriage at all.

Yeah, med school hookups! Its gonna just be like undergrad, who's with me?

justskipee said:
Yeah, med school hookups! Its gonna just be like undergrad, who's with me?

Whaddya talkin' about, I was studying my @$$ off in undergrad! Ha ha, j/k

Well the only reason that I would say that I hope to meet my future husband in medical school is because I just don't know if I will meet anyone outside of med. school if I am always living and breathing med school: studying, reading, etc.

For me, it would be great to meet someone with similar interests.
NOT so we can talk about work ALL NIGHT after work but for the practical reasons: and that we care about health, people, etc. just being on the same page in one extra aspect: intellectually. I also tend to think that our personalities, interests, values, may be more alike if we are both med. students.

Of course you see that a lot: I am currently a psych. major turned non trad, and most of my professors married other psychologists.
:) :)

DaMota said:
"i'm just wondering why the postman hasn't delivered my wife yet"

-mota

Atmosphere baby. Can't remember the song...eh...do I get partial credit?

Who actually goes somewhere planning to find a husband/wife? That's just weird.

letmein!please? said:
Atmosphere baby. Can't remember the song...eh...do I get partial credit?

Arrival

I want to get married so I can use my husband every morning for sex. Nothing like a quickie to start the day to counter all of that studying/stress :D

So yes, I am definitely looking for a hubbie.

Ok--this is mainly directed at the girls here. Does anyone else feel like everyone is trying to find a husband for you too? This has only gotten worse since I have been accepted to medical school. Now it seems like everyone wants me to marry a doctor because we will have "something in common."

e.g. I went to a charity event a few weeks ago and people tried to fix me up with FOUR doctors in ONE night! (not exaggerating!)

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of perks to having a bf--but during medical school, I want to be focused on my education and future career, not a serious relationship!

Anyone else feel the same way?
(By the way, I'm only 23 and have no intention of being married anytime soon!)

RunnerMD said:
Ok--this is mainly directed at the girls here. Does anyone else feel like everyone is trying to find a husband for you too? This has only gotten worse since I have been accepted to medical school. Now it seems like everyone wants me to marry a doctor because we will have "something in common."

e.g. I went to a charity event a few weeks ago and people tried to fix me up with FOUR doctors in ONE night! (not exaggerating!)

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of perks to having a bf--but during medical school, I want to be focused on my education and future career, not a serious relationship!

Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm not necessarily against a serious relationship, but I do feel like my family is beginning to pressure me to look for a nesting mate. Gotta love the South:)