Anyone planning to meet their future wifey/hubby in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nightowl said:
I want to get married so I can use my husband every morning for sex. Nothing like a quickie to start the day to counter all of that studying/stress :D

So yes, I am definitely looking for a hubbie.

Oh...god yes! Use me, woman! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Minion677 said:
dude we are going to be doctors. that means marrying some 27 year old broad once we are 35 and out of residency.
and what if we're 27 year old broads going into med school? i guess all of my classmates will be 22 year old boys.. *sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
not to be contrary here, but seen i've started dating my girlfriend i've actually had other people kind of discourage our getting married (and we haven't even talked about it ourselves!), even if we are serious, because the divorce rate is something huge for a med student who is married. Like my dad said, med school is like having a wife. And who can handle two wives?

I'm gonna be 28 when i apply =( .....wait though....does that mean 22 year old girls? Guess it isn't as bad the other way around.

I'll be a 27 turning 28 female... it is definitely much easier being an older single guy than an older single girl. I'm just lucky that I'm going to a school with a little bit of an older average, not that it means I'll meet anyone, but we can all hope. Plus I'll be living in a city with tons of single people so I figure there are plenty of fish in that sea :)

Going out into town...What is that? I think I remember doing that before I got back into school. =P My memory is a little fuzzy though. Must be my old age.

ugh...I couldn't imagine being married to another med student / doctor in the future. I think two OCD and anal personalities in one house is waaay too much. I mean if it happens it happens i suppose, but there are a lot of places to meet women...assuming of course you are not attending med school in a real rural setting with zero nightlife and stuff. There's always nurses...and PAs and PTs, and maybe undergrads if the other campus is nearby....so don't despair.

I also don't see the rush of getting married so soon. Im only planning to get hitched when Im financially stable (like a year into residency). If you get married in med school, how do you handle the financial stuff? Who pays the mortgage?

RunnerMD said:
Ok--this is mainly directed at the girls here. Does anyone else feel like everyone is trying to find a husband for you too? This has only gotten worse since I have been accepted to medical school. Now it seems like everyone wants me to marry a doctor because we will have "something in common."

e.g. I went to a charity event a few weeks ago and people tried to fix me up with FOUR doctors in ONE night! (not exaggerating!)

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of perks to having a bf--but during medical school, I want to be focused on my education and future career, not a serious relationship!

Anyone else feel the same way?
(By the way, I'm only 23 and have no intention of being married anytime soon!)

Same here

RunnerMD said:
Ok--this is mainly directed at the girls here. Does anyone else feel like everyone is trying to find a husband for you too? This has only gotten worse since I have been accepted to medical school. Now it seems like everyone wants me to marry a doctor because we will have "something in common."

e.g. I went to a charity event a few weeks ago and people tried to fix me up with FOUR doctors in ONE night! (not exaggerating!)

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of perks to having a bf--but during medical school, I want to be focused on my education and future career, not a serious relationship!

Actually, the depressing thing about this comment is the abundance of unmarried doctors.....

RunnerMD said:

Hm...I got mixed feelings for this. Sometimes I want a serious relationship but sometimes I don't want one. I don't see myself getting married any time soon but it will be kind of nice if there is someone that you can always run to after a bad day and not to worry about what he might think.

My Mom is telling me that when she was at my age, she had already got married. BUT what does that have to do with me?? :(

You realized you can date/marry someone outside of the medical field...gasp! And I understand there's not a lot of time for socializing but if you get better at time management you can still have time to go out and play. So for those of you not wanting to be with another doctor, you do have options ;-)

USAF, whether or not the person is in the medical field is not the issue (for me at least). I'm just kind of disturbed by the fact that I feel like everyone around me is talking about marriage all the time. What's wrong with being 23 and wanting to be single? (does this apply to anyone else, or am I just weird?)

On another note, my boss who married his wife while she was in med school (he's in a non-medical field) gave me two pieces of advice. "Don't get married during medical school, and don't get pregnant during your residency. My wife and I did both, and it made stressful situations 10x worse."

I think they're both pretty obvious, but I'm sure they both happen quite often. Any thoughts/comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true, there are a variety of places to meet people, but if you're a nerd like me who's more of an indoors "Barnes-and-Noble" kind of guy who never really learned how to party, med school might be as good a place as any other.

RunnerMD said:
USAF, whether or not the person is in the medical field is not the issue (for me at least). I'm just kind of disturbed by the fact that I feel like everyone around me is talking about marriage all the time. What's wrong with being 23 and wanting to be single? (does this apply to anyone else, or am I just weird?)

On another note, my boss who married his wife while she was in med school (he's in a non-medical field) gave me two pieces of advice. "Don't get married during medical school, and don't get pregnant during your residency. My wife and I did both, and it made stressful situations 10x worse."

I think they're both pretty obvious, but I'm sure they both happen quite often. Any thoughts/comments?

I know a few people who got pregnant during med school and they all said it's the best time to be pregnant. I'm not sure how they work it out, but they seem really happy about it.

angietron3000 said:
and what if we're 27 year old broads going into med school? i guess all of my classmates will be 22 year old boys.. *sigh*

So apparently, 27 year old broads are the broad of choice for 35 year old residents? This is actually much better than I positioning than I thought I would have in medical school. I mean, that would be what I would say if I werent celebrating my 25th birthday for the third time this christmas.

Has anyone also heard about the "unwritten rule" about dating in hospital settings during med school/residency? When I was at an interview and stayed with some M3s, they told me that it was common for girls to date guys from one "level" above them (e.g. if you're a med student, you'd date a guy resident). But it was REALLY bad to date someone more than one level above you (e.g. if you're a med student, don't date the attending).

Anyone heard of this?

unfrozencaveman said:
So apparently, 27 year old broads are the broad of choice for 35 year old residents?
I guess so.. tho I'm not sure what kind of romance can blossom between two people who get about 8 hours of sleep per night between them.. quickies in the breakroom perhaps? googly eyes over lunch trays in the cafeteria?

nightowl said:
I want to get married so I can use my husband every morning for sex. Nothing like a quickie to start the day to counter all of that studying/stress :D

So yes, I am definitely looking for a hubbie.
uhhhh, damn. :eek: :p :p :p *speachless*

I dont know if I speak for anyone else, but I plan on seducing every cute girl I encounter, ESPECIALLY the ones who are in serious relationships. I will be doing them a favor. The divorce rate is so high that they might as well get started on enjoying promiscuity.

and HELLz no i'm not gonna marry a doctor. I loathed the pre meds at my school- i maintained an uneasy alliance with them to get through, but on the whole all the premeds (now meds) i know are hardcore and incidentally stifling bores. (or if this were a rap song, trifling ******).

jbone said:
uhhhh, damn. :eek: :p :p :p *speachless*

If you get into med school with that kind of verbal prowess, I will be 'speachless'.

RunnerMD said:
Has anyone also heard about the "unwritten rule" about dating in hospital settings during med school/residency? When I was at an interview and stayed with some M3s, they told me that it was common for girls to date guys from one "level" above them (e.g. if you're a med student, you'd date a guy resident). But it was REALLY bad to date someone more than one level above you (e.g. if you're a med student, don't date the attending).

Anyone heard of this?

i wouldn't mind dating an undergrad girl. Maybe a marketing or economics major. :p

Around the US, it seems that many young kids are getting married/engaged these days. I'm talking about early twenties. Well, atleast that what I experienced in Michigan. I don't understand their fascination with getting married young. To each is own I guess.

And I hate the word hubby. It's husband! To me, hubby is the effeminate form of husband. Wifey I can tolerate though. heh.

Rant over.

angietron3000 said:

But us older guys will be suffering from that divorce rate and on the rebound; easy pickings. ;)

Fermata said:
A doc once told me that the older he got, the younger his girlfriends became.

My highschool economics teacher would "trade in" girlfriends every so often for younger ones. (Don't mean to sound sexist). lol. He ended up shacking up with a 33 year old hottie when he was 50. He had the game figured out to say the least. haha.

Fermata said:
A doc once told me that the older he got, the younger his girlfriends became.

That was always my aspiration as a young man . . . come back in twenty years with money and self-possession and get a second bite at the apple with the barely-legals.

It really doesn't work for me, though. :( People under 25 (six years younger than me) and there's really nothing to talk about. Also, being married messes with that plan -- really should have thought about that before. ;)

That really does not work well for girls. There are exceptions, but how many Demi Moores do you see with Ashton Kutcher

angietron3000 said:
I guess so.. tho I'm not sure what kind of romance can blossom between two people who get about 8 hours of sleep per night between them.. quickies in the breakroom perhaps? googly eyes over lunch trays in the cafeteria?

Plus you can pull a Mrs. Robinson with your classmates, and potentially, the undergrads.

And then, "it's raining men" will play in the background of your life at all times.

September, why are you so far away?

The funniest advice my father ever gave me about love and marriage.....

"Never marry for money. Hang around the rich and marry for love!"

He was joking - sort of.

Megboo said:

He was joking - sort of.

To quote Red vs. Blue, and perhaps someone else on this thread that I haven't bothered to read thoroughly through, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

BaylorGuy said:
To quote Red vs. Blue, and perhaps someone else on this thread that I haven't bothered to read thoroughly through, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

Better than the Al Bundy version "why go out for milk when you have a cow at home". :)

RunnerMD said:

There's nothing wrong with being 23 and wanting to be single. I'll be 27 in a little over a week and am very happy single, but as I get closer to 30...who knows. I figure it'll happen when it happens. Don't worry what everyone else wants or is doing, you can only do what feels right for yourself.

USAFdoc2be said:
There's nothing wrong with being 23 and wanting to be single. I'll be 27 in a little over a week and am very happy single, but as I get closer to 30...who knows. I figure it'll happen when it happens. Don't worry what everyone else wants or is doing, you can only do what feels right for yourself.

Glad you're not fretting about it. It WILL happen when it's meant to. I just got married last week and I'm 29 (my hubby is 36). I had a few opportunities when I was younger, but I'm glad it worked out this way now!

Megboo said:

He was joking - sort of.

Heh. My aunt always told me, "It's just as easy to love a rich man as it is a poor one," and "Remember, rich men need love, too!"

Not that I took her advice or anything. :D

TheDarkSide said:
Heh. My aunt always told me, "It's just as easy to love a rich man as it is a poor one," and "Remember, rich men need love, too!"

Not that I took her advice or anything. :D

How do I get one of those signs like in your avatar?

Why the hell should guys worry? On a night out, go to a club or a bar, and talk to a hot chick. When she asks what you do, just say,
"I'm a doctor, it's no big deal."

With a few drinks, if you can't proceed into her pantsafter that line, finding a wife is the least of your problems.

deleted.

Hey I'm one of those girls who got busted in the face with something and I'll be one of the ones that enter med school in a serious relationship/engaged... Don't assume all the cute ones will be taken! Some of that percentage are the ugly ones like me who just got lucky!

Last edited:
lol. and that is why you're still in the caveman stages of algebra.

25% of the total class would be single girls.

the other 25% of the total class would be single guys.

based on the same statistical numbers and hypothetical situation as described above.

EDIT: WTF, 4 year old thread...why did I waste my frustration.

Dude, he's not trying to insult you, you're just interpreting it wrong.

Out of 100 students, half are girls and half are boys. That means there are 50 boys and 50 girls. If 50% of the total class is already in a relationship, that means 25 boys and 25 girls.

25 girls in a relationship/50 girls in the class total = 50% of girls taken

You were including the boys into your calculation, that's how you got 25%.

EDIT: WTF, 4 year old thread...why did I waste my frustration.

Dude, he's not trying to insult you, you're just interpreting it wrong.

Out of 100 students, half are girls and half are boys. That means there are 50 boys and 50 girls. If 50% of the total class is already in a relationship, that means 25 boys and 25 girls.

25 girls in a relationship/50 girls in the class total = 50% of girls taken

You were including the boys into your calculation, that's how you got 25%.

LOL! Resurrecting dead threads and it's not even Easter...and that was only 3 days dead that time....

Great thread though, lol...

lol. and that is why you're still in the caveman stages of algebra.

25% of the total class would be single girls.

the other 25% of the total class would be single guys.

based on the same statistical numbers and hypothetical situation as described above.

You explained it very poorly the first -- and, well, second -- time.

EDIT: My god 4 years old?! Why was this resurrected? Now I feel dumb... lol

My gf is a Chemical Engineer from Berkeley. I'm gonna be a doctor, and shes going to get her MBA degree. We are going to have the best looking kids. My side of the genetics will bring analytical intelligence and muscles. Her side of the genetics will bring good complexion and good public speaking skills. I am hoping she will relocate to where I end up in med school.

My gf is a Chemical Engineer from Berkeley. I'm gonna be a doctor, and shes going to get her MBA degree. We are going to have the best looking kids. My side of the genetics will bring analytical intelligence and muscles. Her side of the genetics will bring good complexion and good public speaking skills. I am hoping she will relocate to where I end up in med school.

Lost interest after this.

Nah I'm sure she's great. Or at the very least capable of conducting google searches.

Until 1/4 of your kids inherit the recessive genes. They will have luke warm IQ's and look like a Picasso painting.

haha just kidding :)

I wasn't planning on meeting my fiance in medical school, it just happened that way. It has worked out great, and the best part is actually in your 3rd and 4th years when you are busy and get little sleep. She understands what it's like to be post-call because she has been there too. There's something to be said for the ability to understand the plight of your partner and be there for him/her in ways that only you would be able to understand. Intern year next year will be rough, but the more miserable school/work is, the happier we seem to be with each other. The only tough part about the whole thing is the dreaded couples match, which we're going through now.

I recently went on my first interview, and everything went really well. The school was very beautiful and modern, it's got a good academic reputation, and all the students seemed really happy to be there.

Yet I felt like something was missing. I couldn't place my thumb on it.

Then I realized it was because the med students and fellow interviewees were f'ugly. It made me sad. Partially because I realized I must be pretty shallow and partially because birds of a feather flock together.

This is a very relevant topic. Studies show that doctors have a higher divorce rate than most people, and that is pretty high. Studies also show that when doctors get married to one another their success rate is much higher. Think about it, only another doctor, or other medical professional, will understand the things one must deal with being a doctor, and the hours.

I would not worry too much about meeting someone. From what I have heard, both law and medical school can be swarming with students who need a sexual release from their troubles.:rolleyes:

P.S. The reason why MD's get divorced at a high rate is because they are used to making decisions fast and barking orders. The then tend to carry that home and start trying to run their families like their team. Something to think about.

This is a very relevant topic. Studies show that doctors have a higher divorce rate than most people, and that is pretty high. Studies also show that when doctors get married to one another their success rate is much higher. Think about it, only another doctor, or other medical professional, will understand the things one must deal with being a doctor, and the hours.

I would not worry too much about meeting someone. From what I have heard, both law and medical school can be swarming with students who need a sexual release from their troubles.:rolleyes:

P.S. The reason why MD's get divorced at a high rate is because they are used to making decisions fast and barking orders. The then tend to carry that home and start trying to run their families like their team. Something to think about.

Actually, I think it's due to long hours and being on-call that causes the wife/husband to be dissatisfied, thus causing a divorce.