anyone practicing in Hawaii?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewEnglandParky

Reaction score
Hi. Everyone
Is there anyone practicing in Hawaii here? I heard Honolulu is saturated but how saturated is it compared to some other major cities such as NYC, D.C, Boston, L.A etc?
I've been thinking about moving to Hawaii but I have not been able to gather enough information yet. Is there any major differences in terms of practicing dentistry and managing dental offices in Hawaii compared to practicing in mainland??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I bet it's not worth it. The high cost of living for relatively low income compared to if you were on the mainland.

Anecdotal, I’ve heard it’s worse than NYC. That you basically have to be from there to break in and even then reimbursements are lower compared to the high cost of living.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just got a job offer in Hawaii. There was a guarantee base salary for 90 days and then a variable percentage of production based on how much you produce. It did not seem like there was all that much opportunity to grow beyond basic restorative work, though. They did have a restrictive covenant, which is more of a big deal on an island. I just didn't think it was worth it considering the high cost of living. I'd rather make my money on the mainland where it goes further, and then retire on the islands 😎

I'm curious what the % production/collections is in Hawaii. Anyone know? I'm guessing it's a bit higher than average to help offset the cost of living. How about lab fees?

I'm curious the same with Alaska though it's probably not as severe as Hawaii.

I'm curious what the % production/collections is in Hawaii. Anyone know? I'm guessing it's a bit higher than average to help offset the cost of living. How about lab fees?

I'm curious the same with Alaska though it's probably not as severe as Hawaii.
The offer I got had a % of production ranging from 25-35% depending on how much you produced.