Anyone provide an example of how they cited themselves on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an example

I've been published in a book (non-science) and am 1 author out of over 10. How am I expected to cite this? I was told that I should do it just as I would with a scientific journal... since adcoms are familiar with that format. After doing multiple searches, the advice I found in the pre-allo board and what I have found online is conflicting. I thought, why not ask the MD/PhDs... they're experts at this.

For citing the actual authors: Primary authors, me, author 3, 4, 5 ,6 ,7 ,8,9 etc....

Or is it: Primary author, and then the rest of the authors in alphabetical order of last name?

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused by your question; did you write a chapter? In that case, there should be someone (maybe a couple of people) who are the editors for the entire book, and then each of the chapters would have their individual author or two. You can cite it similarly to how you'd cite a journal pub; it is just published in a book instead of a journal. You'll have to also include the editors' names and the book title.

Here's a sample that I found on line for a chapter author citation following MLA format:

James, Nancy E. "Two Sides of Paradise: The Eden Myth According to
Kirk and Spock." Spectrum of the Fantastic. Ed. Donald Palumbo.
Westport: Greenwood, 1988. 219-223.

This style (which I actually like better since it has the year up further) is APA format:

Roll, W.P. (1976). ESP and memory. In J.M.O. Wheatley
& H.L. Edge (Eds.), Philosophical dimensions
of parapsychology (pp. 154-184). Springfield,
IL:American Psychiatric Press.

Under "Activities/Awards", in "Publications", I put the entry under "Experience Description":

Lanning Smith, L.C. Dual diagnosis: effective recognition and management of severe mental illness and substance abuse. JAAPA 2001; 14(2): 22-38.

Hope this helps

L.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup I am the author of 1 chapter in the book. There are 10+ chapters in the book with 10+ authors, 1 for each chapter.... and with 1 primary author/editor (my professor). So far I know the publication company and the names of the authors. I was just wondering if I should include ALL the authors, and if so, how I would go about doing that. (I don't know the names of the chapters yet)

1) Primary author, 10+ authors arranged in alphabetical order

or

2) Primary author, me, 10+ authors arranged in alphabetical order

I only bring up 2) b/c I don't want to adcoms to assume I'm the "last" author like in a journal pub and assume my role was minimal. We all had equal roles and produced chapters.

Yup I am the author of 1 chapter in the book. There are 10+ chapters in the book with 10+ authors, 1 for each chapter.... and with 1 primary author/editor (my professor). So far I know the publication company and the names of the authors. I was just wondering if I should include ALL the authors, and if so, how I would go about doing that. (I don't know the names of the chapters yet)

1) Primary author, 10+ authors arranged in alphabetical order

or

2) Primary author, me, 10+ authors arranged in alphabetical order

I only bring up 2) b/c I don't want to adcoms to assume I'm the "last" author like in a journal pub and assume my role was minimal. We all had equal roles and produced chapters.
You only wrote the one chapter, right? You shouldn't cite any of the chapters that other people wrote unless you also co-authored them. That would be about like citing every article in a single journal volume just because you authored one paper in it! Cite your chapter like one of the examples I posted above with you as author, the chapter title, the book title, and your prof's name as editor--no one else's names or chapters. If you're not sure what the title of your chapter will be, give it a tentative working title for now.

You only wrote the one chapter, right? You shouldn't cite any of the chapters that other people wrote unless you also co-authored them. That would be about like citing every article in a single journal volume just because you authored one paper in it! Cite your chapter like one of the examples I posted above with you as author, the chapter title, the book title, and your prof's name as editor--no one else's names or chapters. If you're not sure what the title of your chapter will be, give it a tentative working title for now.
+1.

Risk for not having the most aboslutely impressive citation? Maybe someone isn't quite so impressed with one part of your CV.

Risk for citing more than your work as your own? Accusations of academic dishonesty, shunning by the Ivory Tower and being made a pariah of academia.

You only wrote the one chapter, so you can only cite that chapter (unfortunatey I don't have a citation format for you to copy). Good thing though, you're the two authors on that chapter, so that will look better to someone giving it the once-over, as opposed to the 12 names you were suggesting.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice! I was just wondering which of the following methods would work best:

1) Professor, Me. (in press) "Chapter Title," BOOK TITLE, Publishing Company, NY

or should it be

2) Me (in press) "Chapter Title," BOOK TITLE, Ed. Professor, Publishing Company, NY

Are you the first and only author? Then the second could work (I'm assuming the editor edited the entire book, not just your chapter). If it says your name + the other guy, then you have to go with #1.

thanks Guys! I Really Appreciate The Advice! I Was Just Wondering Which Of The Following Methods Would Work Best:

1) Professor, Me. (in Press) "chapter Title," Book Title, Publishing Company, Ny

Or Should It Be

2) Me (in Press) "chapter Title," Book Title, Ed. Professor, Publishing Company, Ny

Are you the first and only author? Then the second could work (I'm assuming the editor edited the entire book, not just your chapter). If it says your name + the other guy, then you have to go with #1.

Haha these terms confuse me. I am the first author of my own chapter. Noone else has worked on my chapter. The MAIN head honcho who has written multiple chapters (the professor) and whose name will appear on the cover of the book is also the editor. The rest of us are students, and we each have our own chapters. I'm going with #2 I guess.

Haha these terms confuse me. I am the first author of my own chapter. Noone else has worked on my chapter. The MAIN head honcho who has written multiple chapters (the professor) and whose name will appear on the cover of the book is also the editor. The rest of us are students, and we each have our own chapters. I'm going with #2 I guess.
I'm sorry - I'm assuming things in my language and not being specific. I meant "are you the first author on your chapter," and not the entire book (the MAIN head honcho :laugh:). #2 is still the best.

#1 would work in the situation of you and some other guy collaborating on one specific chapter, which is then edited/proofed by the MAIN head honcho.

In any case, good luck and congrats on the accomplishment.