Anyone really have a TOUGH advisor/ health committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor is tough!! She will look at your grades and say for example, a 3.45 is not enough for dental school, and she will refuse to write a letter of rec! Just like that. A friend of mine (medical) had her as an advisor and she wouldn't work with him, needless to say, he still applied souly and got into 2 medical schools. Im pretty scared to face her haha but can anyone else relate?

Members don't see this ad.

My advisor is tough!! She will look at your grades and say for example, a 3.45 is not enough for dental school, and she will refuse to write a letter of rec! Just like that. A friend of mine (medical) had her as an advisor and she wouldn't work with him, needless to say, he still applied souly and got into 2 medical schools. Im pretty scared to face her haha but can anyone else relate?

Haha. I had a tough premedical advisory committee. My advisor looked at my grades and said some really discouraging things and questioned my motives and reason for pursuing this field (my junior year)...until I came back to face her again the following year (senior year), and told her that I wanted a LOR from her, and she didn't really discourage me anymore...I also had friends who found ways to get out of using this premed committee letters...but if you need it, good luck. Just go back in...sometimes they're just trying to see if we can be strong and how we handle their criticisms...after all we're representing our schools. :p

I never even met ppl on my committee. I asked them how is this going to work, they said they will look over all of your LOR's, and then from what professors, and ppl who really know you, say about you, they will sort of cut and paste their oppinions onto one combined letter.

It sucks that you don't get to read over what other ppl say about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
just had one advisor which was nice because i didnt have to get a committee letter she was helpful but forgot send one of my LORs which held some stuff up but it all worked out

Wow thats crazy. How discouraging. I had a 3.4 with a D and several C's and my committee advisor said i was a "shoe in"

very discouraging!!

My gpa is hurtin ~3.2 but still have 4 semester to go!
My superior DATs will change her mind hehe :D

If you've got an advisor like that, I'd recommend getting your LOR's directly from your professors. Yeah, dental schools "prefer" a committee letter, but by no means is it a requirement.

In my experience, I didn't have a committee letter. There were five science professors on the committee, none of which I had ever had. Therefore, I didn't want my letter based off of a 30-minute interview with faculty that didn't know me.