Anyone reapply without retaking the DAT and get in???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squints02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is possible. I have been waitlisted to 2 schools and am starting to think about reapplying however don't really have time to take the DAT again before the next application cycle starts. My first scores were good enough to get me a couple of interviews but no acceptances yet. I am finishing my undergrad this semester so that should bump up my GPA a bit.

Just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and was able to get in without having to retake the D A T :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if this is possible. I have been waitlisted to 2 schools and am starting to think about reapplying however don't really have time to take the DAT again before the next application cycle starts. My first scores were good enough to get me a couple of interviews but no acceptances yet. I am finishing my undergrad this semester so that should bump up my GPA a bit.

Just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and was able to get in without having to retake the D A T :luck:

can you tell us what your application is like? gpa? dat? ECs? time you applied?

It is possible.

I applied to two schools last year, UMKC and ASDOH, and was waitlisted at both. I thought a DAT retake was unnecessary (19AA; brought down by that damn QR), so I just made it a point to shadow A LOT (total of 350 hours). I applied to 5 schools (Oklahoma, Nebraska, MWU, UMKC, and ASDOH), interviewed at 4, was waitlisted at 2, and accepted at 2. I have a high GPA though (3.9/3.8, I only say this because you mentioned raising yours), so I did not think that my academic ability was in question at all.

I also had over 1000 hours of experience as a phlebotomist. I am sure this helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.... it is possible.
I applied last year.... got waitlisted at 3 schools. I had a 3.3 and 19DAT.
I thought about retaking the DAT, but decided my time would be better spent boosting my experience. So I decided not to retake it, and got an assisting job instead. I got in to Temple this cycle.

I got in without retaking the DAT, but the DAT wasn't my weakest point, although I did get 17s for o-chem and the PAT, but my AA was 22 and TS was 21. My GPA was ok, at about a 3.2, but far from excellent for pre-dent. The only things I really did to help my reapplication was shadow a bit more (I only shadowed about 50 hrs. in all honesty, but felt it was sufficient for watching a GP, after all, how many fillings and root canals do you need to see to get a sense of what's going on. Would have liked to witness some oral sugery, but I digress), and I got a job in a hospital. I think one of the biggest changes to my application after being waitlisted last at Temple was applying very early. As soon as the cycle opened up I did all my info quickly and requested my letters of rec again and applied in mid-June as opposed to late September. Got my letter of acceptance in early Dec. I do have to say I felt my interview after the first year did go really well, even though I made fun of Brian for how bad the Flyers sucked last year:D.

It is possible, just need to be persistent! Good luck!

yea i did also.. shadowed more the second time around.. improved personal statement and applied 3 months earlier

If you think your dat is fine, no need to retake it. Put emphasis on early application and personal statement.

thank you all for the responses so far...this gives me hope..
My stats for this year were 19/18/22, science gpa 3.5, academic gpa 3.4, 60 hours shadowing, 1 year of research, lots of volunteer work and my application was recieved in July but didn't take the DAT until August.

I really want to apply earlier this year but won't have time to study enough for the DAT to do better on it before June. Maybe i'll just reapply with the DAT i have and retake it again in August or something...

Thanks again to everyone

I interviewed at 3 schools last year, was waitlisted twice, and was not accepted. This year I applied earlier, interviewed at 7 schools, have 5 acceptances, 1 rejection, and haven't heard what the other decided (Case).

I didn't do anything different this year except apply earlier - no shadowing, no classes, no DAT retake. I even used the same personal statement. Best of luck to you. Be sure to apply EARLY.

I interviewed at 3 schools last year, was waitlisted twice, and was not accepted. This year I applied earlier, interviewed at 7 schools, have 5 acceptances, 1 rejection, and haven't heard what the other decided (Case).

I didn't do anything different this year except apply earlier - no shadowing, no classes, no DAT retake. I even used the same personal statement. Best of luck to you. Be sure to apply EARLY.

Did you apply to the same schools, and did you interview at any of the same schools that you did last year?

I probably won't reapply to the schools that didn't even give me a nod this year, but was wondering if I should reapply to the the ones that I have already interviewed at?

Sorry, like everyone else i'm just trying to figure out what the next best move is with the situation I have been placed in...while holding on to the hope that I will get in this cycle!

Every reapplicant needs to really study their application and situation to discover what kept them from getting in last time. Without seeing all your DAT sections, your specific research & EC's, your individual grades & GPA, your interviewing skills, your personal statement, etc., it is hard for any of us to give you a personalized remedy. Find a few friends or colleagues who got into dental school this cycle who can sit down with you to really pick apart your app. If you think that it looks solid and your time is best spent retaking the DAT, then go for it. My estimation though is that too many predents waste their time trying to retake the DAT when their time is better spent beefing up their app. Only retake if it is the glaring factor in your app.

Also, really research your schools and make wise choices. If you're willing to go anywhere, find out which schools might tend to accept an applicant like you. Pull out the ADEA guide to help. If you're setting your bar really high about the school you want to go to, then realize what you will need to do to be accepted there.

I got 19/20/20, did not retake, and got some acceptances. My flaws were: applied WAY too late (Oct), had zero dental-related service or research, limited shadowing, and weak LOR's. I put my energy toward those things instead of retaking the DAT and I am pleased with the results.

Good luck!

Did you apply to the same schools, and did you interview at any of the same schools that you did last year?

I probably won't reapply to the schools that didn't even give me a nod this year, but was wondering if I should reapply to the the ones that I have already interviewed at?

Sorry, like everyone else i'm just trying to figure out what the next best move is with the situation I have been placed in...while holding on to the hope that I will get in this cycle!

I reapplied to schools that interviewed me last year and applied to several additional schools this year. Of the three schools that I reapplied to, I've only been accepted to one, UPenn. UNC rejected me again (grrrrr, no love from my state school), and I haven't heard back from Case yet (non-factor at this point).

In my experience, timing was everything. Good luck.

I applied late last year with the same DAT scores and I interviewed at majority of the dental schools I applied. Applying early is very crucial!!! :thumbup:

i think i'll continue beefing up my application then, and get it in the day the application cycle opens...thanks again for the responses...

Any additional advice is always appreciated.

I got in my second time w/o taking the DAT again. 20 TS 19 AVG 21 PAT.

My second application was basically EXACTLY the same. Changes in it were i had more hours shadowing, one new letter or rec, i graduated from my undergrad, and have one more year or research. So i guess maybe it was a little different, but basically i just added more hours of everything.

In my interview, it did come up what was different then and now, and i really had nothing to say. Just make sure you apply to the same schools and some other ones too.

The first year i interviewed at temple and NOVA (and some others), and the second year i got interviews there and accepted to both. So i think me applying the next year helped me some too.

I just got accepted today after applying three times. I retook that DAT before my second application, but I didn't retake it before applying a third time.

Congrats on getting accepted! I have to keep reminding myself that all hope is not lost until the first day of classes.