Anyone reapplying to MD, and also applying to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I applied to MD schools last cycle and didn't get in. Through this process, I learned about DO schools and decided to apply to them as well this time around.

I'm working on my personal statement right now. I know it seems late, but it's because I'm waiting on my summer school grades to blow through before applying so I won't send out my amcas stuff until mid July.

I am almost done with my personal statement for MD schools, currently getting people to look it over. In my essay for allo, I took what I had last year and added on stuff I've done since then to improve my application.

However, when I was looking over what to do write for my DO PS, I wasn't sure if I should mention I am a reapplicant for medical school since technically I am not a reapplicant to DO schools. OTOH, if in at a later time, it comes out I have applied to MD schools before, and I didn't mention it in my application, I'm afraid it would make me look like I'm hiding something.

Was anyone in the same situation as me? What did you do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to only MD last year basically because I knew nothing about WHY DO is different. Silly because I worked in EMS for 15 years with both MDs and DOs and knew they were different -- I just always thought that a good doc was a good doc and a bad one bad no matter what alphabet they had behind their name. This year I'm applying to both MD and DO programs.

I did not mention anything about reapplying in either PS. I completely changed my PS from last round (and quite frankly it's a whole heck of a lot better this time), and there was no place (or room!) for discussing the fact that I'm a reapplicant. I'm sure they'll figure it out. As for hiding something - if they want my life's dissertation they should give me more than the paltry few characters they allot for the PS. I have nothing to hide - they have only to ask :).

Yes, I'm applying to both. No, I'm not mentioning it except when directly asked, then I'm just being totally honest. One secondary asked me to list what medical schools I'm applying to this cycle, so I listed them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a reappicant big time. So long ago that I need to retake the MCAT.

I'm applying to MDs now and thought I'd wait on the OD until later. Isn't their applicant cycle after MDs? I got the impression their cycle starts in the winter, not the full 16months out?

I'm already getting secondaries for the MD application...to my amazement! And it only asks if and when I've applied to that specific school.

If an MD school asks, I'll say that I'm considering both, and if I do an MD, I hope to do some OD rotations and vice versa. Both have strengths that I favor, so I'm prepared and so many students get in only after reapplication, trust me.

We're probably a minority, but not a big one.

s

PhDtoMD said:
I'm a reappicant big time. So long ago that I need to retake the MCAT.

I'm applying to MDs now and thought I'd wait on the OD until later. Isn't their applicant cycle after MDs? I got the impression their cycle starts in the winter, not the full 16months out?

I'm already getting secondaries for the MD application...to my amazement! And it only asks if and when I've applied to that specific school.

If an MD school asks, I'll say that I'm considering both, and if I do an MD, I hope to do some OD rotations and vice versa. Both have strengths that I favor, so I'm prepared and so many students get in only after reapplication, trust me.

We're probably a minority, but not a big one.

s

What is an OD? Are you sure you're talking about an osteopathic physician (DO)? The application cycles are simultaneous. I was actually able to submit AACOMAS slightly sooner than AMCAS. I think the AACOMAS final deadline may be slightly later, but not by more than a couple of months.

I might apply to DO if it looks bad for getting into an MD program. But I'll wait until November to do it. If I have no allo interviews scheduled by then, I'll apply to DO programs.

I put down I'm a reapplicant for MD on my MD essay (can't avoid it), for those in my situation, did you mention you had applied to MD schools the previous year on your DO schools? Would it be considered bad if I don't put it on my essay?

Just wondering. Thanks!

i did not mention in my MD PS that i was a reapplicant. but when asked on the secondary form if i have applied before, i put yes. i did not say i was a reapplicant on AACOMAS because although i applied to MD schools 2 years ago, i have never applied to DO schools before.

about the AACOMAS PS, are you guys just cutting down the AMCAS PS and adding a little bit about why you want to be an osteopathic physician? or are you writing a completely different statement?

your help would be much appreciated!!

medgirl? said:
i did not mention in my MD PS that i was a reapplicant. but when asked on the secondary form if i have applied before, i put yes. i did not say i was a reapplicant on AACOMAS because although i applied to MD schools 2 years ago, i have never applied to DO schools before.

about the AACOMAS PS, are you guys just cutting down the AMCAS PS and adding a little bit about why you want to be an osteopathic physician? or are you writing a completely different statement?

your help would be much appreciated!!

I shortened my AMCAS PS, and I added reasons for wanting to become a DO.