Anyone reason not to wait a few years/go untrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reno

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted in then general MD forum as well but anyways..

I am 23, graduated with a BS in bio last June, 3.0, MCAT 27 (x2) and was originally going to take the MCAT again this year and apply this coming cycle. However, I am now leaning towards, taking the MCAT again and making sure I am fully prepared and applying the next cycle afterwards.

I shouldn't have taken the MCAT to begin with, both times, but I just felt the pressure from my family, friends and peers that you had to go to med school right after college, can't wait, time is a wasting and honestly I just fell right into that whole mind frame. I've sort of realized in the long run a year or two shouldn't make a big difference. No one will ever question me why wasn't a doctor at 27 as opposed to 30 or whatever. Additionally, the application process is expensive and I wouldn't mind another having another year or two working and saving up some cash.

Basically, I am pretty confident on this decision and it feels right listening to my self rather then falling into the opinions of everyone else. However, I still wouldn't mind to hear what some random people on the internet premed board would think?

Only down fall I could think of is I should still take the MCAT sooner rather then later so the material from college is still there.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have decided already. Honestly, waiting isn't the worst thing that you can do. If you're not in a mental mindest where you are ready to go to med school, then don't. Take a couple of years, work, save some money, get some experience. Just don't spend that time doing nothing or working in retail. See if you can get your EMT license or work as a nursing assistant in the interim so you can get medical experience. When you're ready you can always take a prep course to refresh the material for the MCAT. Or if you take it now, your scores are good for 3 years.

You may hear that taking a break is not good because it may look like you are unsure of your choice, or that your coursework won't be recent anymore, but I really think that rushing into this would be much worse. Just be prepared to show a good life experience over the time between your undergrad and med school. I really don't think that anyone will hold it against you.

I am 23, graduated with a BS in bio last June, 3.0, MCAT 27 (x2) and was originally going to take the MCAT again this year and apply this coming cycle. However, I am now leaning towards, taking the MCAT again and making sure I am fully prepared and applying the next cycle afterwards.

I shouldn't have taken the MCAT to begin with, both times, but I just felt the pressure from my family, friends and peers that you had to go to med school right after college, can't wait, time is a wasting and honestly I just fell right into that whole mind frame. I've sort of realized in the long run a year or two shouldn't make a big difference. No one will ever question me why wasn't a doctor at 27 as opposed to 30 or whatever. Additionally, the application process is expensive and I wouldn't mind another having another year or two working and saving up some cash.

Basically, I am pretty confident on this decision and it feels right listening to my self rather then falling into the opinions of everyone else. However, I still wouldn't mind to hear what some random people on the internet premed board would think?

Only down fall I could think of is I should still take the MCAT sooner rather then later so the material from college is still there.

Waiting is not a negative if it means you will show up to med school actually ready to tackle it. Lots of us on this board started med school a lot later than you will, with no impediment.
One suggestion -- absolutely do not take the MCAT again until you are scoring your target score or above on at least 3 consecutive full length practice tests. This is not a test that you wing and hope for luck. You already have multiple scores schools will look at so you really don't want to touch the test again unless you are sure you can show real improvement, even if it means missing a test date or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take some time to experience life! I am in a similar boat as you. I have taken a year off already, will take the MCAT this August for the first time, and then I will work in research for a few years until I feel I am ready for the committment of med school (since MCAT scores are good for 3 years).

Once you enter medical school, you are narrowed in what you are able to do for a long time. So, if you long to do something else (work, make money etc.) then take that time to do it. For me, I feel WAY more mature now than I did when I graduated, and I feel that by the time I enter medical school, I will be even more mature and make a better physician than I would have been if I entered right out of undergrad.

Good luck.

absolutely do not take the MCAT again until you are scoring your target score or above on at least 3 consecutive full length practice tests. This is not a test that you wing and hope for luck. You already have multiple scores schools will look at so you really don't want to touch the test again unless you are sure you can show real improvement, even if it means missing a test date or two.
Agreed. Many more applications are killed by folks playing too fast than those playing too slow. Do it once and do it right. You'll find that applying as a slightly older nontraditional student is not nearly as unusual as you might think.

well, i'll give you one reason i wish i *hadn't* waited: several schools to which i applied reported receiving record high numbers of applications this year, substantially more than the previous year. and a recent ny times article shows the same phenomenon for applicants to top colleges (some of whom will be med school applicants in a few years). i make swift pedal contact with my buttocks just thinking about it.

This is your most powerful argument for waiting a bit.

A couple years is nothing.

Just remember that adcoms will expect you to have done something if you reapply. You can either 'try it' one year and then have to do something more to 'improve' your application when reapplying OR you can wait a year, get your stuff together, and apply and get in. Save money. Save angst.