surgeon_hopeful

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hi,

I posted the reverse of this in the medical forum, but I was wondering whether any of you regret your decision about going into dental school vs medical school. Right now, this is what I'm currently debating between. If you did, why do you regret this decision, or if you are perfectly content, do you have any reason why you recommend ds over ms?

sincerely,
S_H (the over-zelous hs student :D)

Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2005
Blythewood, South Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hi,

I posted the reverse of this in the medical forum, but I was wondering whether any of you regret your decision about going into dental school vs medical school. Right now, this is what I'm currently debating between. If you did, why do you regret this decision, or if you are perfectly content, do you have any reason why you recommend ds over ms?

sincerely,

I think you should do some research on both fields further. Don't let us tell you what you need to be when you grow up. DP

vize

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
You're in high school, enough said. Actually that's not enough... go out and enjoy life.

About the Ads

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Pretty ambitious name. You have a LONG way to go. While I applaud you, you have many hoops to jump through and obstacles to overcome. No matter what career you decide, stay motivated and humble. Work hard and you will reap your rewards............did I mention you have a LONG way to go.:eek: ;)

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I don't regret my decision in going to dental school. Even though there are hard times....like having an exam in what seems like every subject you're taking at the same time, but I'll have to go through this even if I'm in med school. I chose dental school because let's face it.....being in and going through professional school is a l-o-n-g process. I don't want to go through another 3 years of residency that' s mandatory THEN some more years to specialize if I don't want to just end up being a family physician. Dental school gives me the flexability to be done and working in the real world after 4 years of training/learning. Then I can *CHOOSE* to do a residency and/or specialize. I guess I like the freedom to choose.

But yea...I agree with what others said..enjoy your high school and undergrad years! They'll pass by faster than you'll realize! Esp. hs...you can't really screw around as much in undergrad.

Jaybe

Lazy Tongs
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Man, when most people are in high school they think they will be young forever. . . Here we have a kid that's already trying to be old.

Weird.

OceanDMD

Rather be fishing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Man, when most people are in high school they think they will be young forever. . . Here we have a kid that's already trying to be old.

Weird.

When I was in high school, all I thought about was being a professional baseball player, or a fireman....

piko00

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
lol.. Ok, at least you remember what your high school was like. I personally have no recollection whatsoever.

To the OP, Problem with most of us here is we're still in dental school and still learning which can be frustrating at times and can make some of us a little disgruntled (not on this thread so far). We also arent't really dealing with issues like writing up a business plan or applying for a bank loan to open up a practice, or managing our offices, or marketting to get patients yet, so you gotta remember that our opinions now shouldn't be used to extrapolate our opinions later when we actually become dentists. They still count for something, but as students we deal mostly with a different set of issues than real dentists. There are people who have a really tough time in dental school but then have a blast once they're out in private practice and vice versa. I'm not saying don't ask, I'm just saying remember that our opinions aren't exactly representative.

And to answer your question, no I don't regret going to dental school vs. med school one bit, but then I've always thought that dentistry was a much better profession (for reasons that I won't get into here) and I never applied to med school.

dheav005

keepin' it movin'
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Norfolk
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
as impressive as it is that you are looking so far ahead...STOP! for the love, go roll a house or tip a cow or something equally as marginally destructive to property whilst you are still young. if they were to find me in a cow pasture after some good tippage, it would be a tightly wrapped jacket and padded room for me.

if you really want to get some experience, dont just find a dentist to shadow. get a job pouring study models for an ortho. if you can get some jollies dealing with a maxillary alginate that some 8-year old has just ralphed in, then dentistry may just be for you.

MrVagus

licensed to fill
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2006
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Pretty ambitious name. You have a LONG way to go. did I mention you have a LONG way to go.:eek: ;)

Just this past week we had 4-5 HS students interviewing for a 3+4 BS/DMD program... Now thats what I call motivation....But I agree with shabu2... its a long time to have to change your mind....

muz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
surgeon_hopefull....more like FUTURE GUNNER!

go eat a cake for us dental students busting our asses!

BigEd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hi,

sincerely,

best advice, make your own decisions in life.

LAZYGUY

Playing the match game
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
isolation....
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I don't want to go through another 3 years of residency that' s mandatory THEN some more years to specialize if I don't want to just end up being a family physician.

We don't do 3 years of residency to become family physicians and then specialize. We finish medical school and do residency=specialty. So if you want to SPECIALIZE in Anesthesiology you do 4 years of residency immediately after graduating medical school, if you want to specialize in Family medicine you do 3 years of residency after medical school. If you want to SUBSPECIALIZE, in your specialty, pain management in Anesthesiology, you do a fellowship which are 1-2 years on average.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.