1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone regret their decision about going into medical school?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by surgeon_hopeful, Mar 2, 2007.

1. surgeon_hopeful

surgeon_hopeful New Member
    2+ Year Member

Hi,

I posted the reverse of this in the dental forum, but I was wondering whether any of you regret your decision about going into dental school vs medical school. Right now, this is what I'm currently debating between. If you did, why do you regret this decision, or if you are perfectly content, do you have any reason why you recommend ms over ds?

sincerely,
    S_H (the over-zelous hs student :D)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    shouldn't you be debating colleges or prom dresses?

4. filter07

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The pre-requisite courses in college are very similar for dental school vs medical school. I suggest delaying your decision as much as possible and taking the time to explore all the different opportunities available to you in college.

Regret is common because the grass is always greener on the other side. When I think of dental school I think of a relatively high salary with a low stress schedule and the ability to work straight out of dental school. Sometimes I regret not choosing that path but those times are transient. I wasn't the biggest fan of medical school but fortunately I found something I liked in surgery. The big advantage of medical school is the variety of specialties where anyone with a little bit of intellectual curiosity can find their niche.

It's a matter of what you value in life. Prestige, money, or lifestyle. Choose 2.

Dentistry is less prestigious, has +/- money, far better lifestyle.
    Medicine is more prestigious, +/- money, usually worse lifestyle.

I think most young people will put prestige above most things, which isn't always wise. Give yourself a lot of time for introspection and don't make rash decisions.

5. surgeon_hopeful

surgeon_hopeful New Member
    2+ Year Member

yeah see thats the thing I'm having the most trouble with. How does one see what it is really like to work in each field? I would be positive on dental school, but I really like surgery, and I'm not sure if there is any speciality in dentistry that fits the bill since OMFS is soooo hard to get. So how would you go about trying to figure out this conundrum (not sure if thats spelled right) if you were me?

6. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do NOT worry about this stuff now. Life is too short.

deejaymd likes this.
  7. ortho060802

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you get to that point do well in dental school and then a MD fellowship in oral surgery

8. cytoskelement

cytoskelement Dr. D.R.E.
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That would be OMFS!

OMFS residencies are very difficult to obtain and those that get them are usually top of their class.

I would suggest volunteering in both settings to get a feel... then enjoy college and do well!

9. naegleria brain

2+ Year Member

i think it depends on the type of person you are

are you a pathological overachiever with an insane work ethic and love being active, researching, working, treating...especially life and death?

or are you more relaxed, calm, and just wanna sort of enjoy life in the slow-lane making a good salary without too much stress

certain aspects of medicine (esp some surgery) is the former, whereas dental is usually the latter; HOWEVER, in medicine you could achieve the latter.

think - family practice or peds, you treet the same patients as in dentistry, but for different issues, with a similar lifestyle, and maybe a slightly better pay. but the road to it is tougher and a bit more stressful

or are you the former? then you pretty much have to do surgery because i dont know any dentists like that? OMFS fellowships are once in a blue moon, don't put all your eggs in one basket

so my advice is enjoy college, take some tough classes, but remember to live the experience. during these 3-4 years you'll learn what type of person you are, and can then decide whether its dentistry or medicine.

i wished i had chosen dentistry. then i got involved with surgical research. now i'm classic pathologic overachiever (i know i know, then what am i doing on this forum?). sometimes just finding what you want can change your general outlook. you've got time to figure all this out, it can't be decided in one day. just keep your eyes open and you'll learn the answer.