Anyone remember any Questions on PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you remember any questions on PCAT for Inorganic and Organic Chemistry and Calculus, please write down? =) so we know what is going to be on it =)

Members don't see this ad.

For calculus mine were just from calc one, I think there were only 2 or 3 questions that were calculus and from what I remember it was just to give the derivative of a quotient, so just use the quotient rule, and their answer choices were not in simplified form, they were still in this form (X + Y)/(Z + W), so it was really easy.

PharmDster said:
If you remember any questions on PCAT for Inorganic and Organic Chemistry and Calculus, please write down? =) so we know what is going to be on it =)

I remember having, on the Nov 2004 PCAT, no fewer than three questions that were basically
x = log sub b of y
or
b^x = y

On the chem, know molarity and molality, but you won't need do the calculations to get the solution, you only need to know how to set up the calculations.
There will probably be at least one question involving quantum number.
You will probably also have a question on 1st order, 2nd order reaction.

I remember at least one of the org chem questions asking "which of these four choices shows the reaction of X plus an alcohol to yield Y". It was pretty easy once you looked at the answer choices and realized that only two of the choices contained an alcohol.

I recommend the Kaplan guide. I felt like some of the questions in the PCAT came straight from the Kaplan book, especially in the biology and chemistry sections.

But definitely don't bypass the writing, vocabulary, and reading comprehension portions of whatever study guide(s) you're using to prepare for the PCAT.

I took the pcat in October 04 and got an 86 percentile. I didn't get into a school for Fall 05 so I'm going to take it again with the hopes of getting in the 90's. I found the quantitative EXTREMELY difficult. I took calculus over the summer last year and it was such a crash course. I ended up with a B but I really don't think I retained ANYTHING! I was so confused by what I saw that I didn't even recognize it and therefore am not much help with that! By the way, I never took Pre-Cal but does anyone know if there are topics covered on the PCAT that you would only learn in a Pre-Cal course?
As for what I DO know:
Organic Chem: I found the basic Organic Chem overview that you will find at the end of a General Chem book to be sufficient. Know functional groups and I remember saponification as well. There wasn't a LOT of organic but enough. I had only had 2 months of organic I and I got an 88 on that section. (I remember a questions that asked why is it harmful to drink a strong acid... I didn't know the answer and because it will hurt your esophagus wasn't a choice :) )
Biology: a lot more from Bio 2 that what I expected. mesoderm/ectoderm/endoderm was on there. basic stuff, not too hard.
Verbal Ability: not bad at all; if you aren't so great with verbal look at one of those books with the most frequently tested words. I used a word list and recognized at least 10 words from the list I didn't previously know.
Reading Comp: pace yourself; time is the main issue. Don't OVERTHINK the questions
Hope this helps someone!
Jessica