Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm desperately looking for some advice... I used up all my sources for verbal (EK101, and Princeton verbal) during the summer and I ended up with a 4 on practice test MCAT#3

Since November I've been practicing using EK101 but this time I take full tests under 60min then review my mistakes the next 3 days after taking a full test, by doing that I've been able to improve my score to 5-6

English is my second language, and I do understand that one of my issues for not doing well is simply because I do not understand the passages properly, so I really would appreciate some advice on how to improve my score based on my situation.

Thank you all

Reactions: DanniD

MrMention

5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2012
At a Bar near you.
Status
Non-Student
I am sure that it can be done and has been done. It will not be easy. Below is a thread on that very subject:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/anyone-start-with-a-score-of-4-or-6-on-verbal-and-improve-tremendously.185450/

1. Are you finishing the test. Try to finish at all cost. Do not go back to the passage if you are not currently finishing the test. Just keep going forward.

2. Start reading the Economist on a daily basis. Try not to miss any day of reading.

I would suggest that you get your hands on as many practice material as possible, evening the ones that are not considered as good, such as Berkeley Review, Kaplan, Gold Standards, etc. Also do not be afraid to used LSAT material. The more practice you do, eventually you will move closer to your goal.

I myself is down in the 7-8 range, I am about to purchase either PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning and/or Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning. I can not recommend either at the moment, since I have not use them as yet. Maybe you can look into those also. Best of luck.

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I am about to purchase either PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning and/or Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning.
Be careful here.

I am both an LSAT tutor and an MCAT tutor (I got a perfect 180 last time I took the LSAT, and graduated high honors with my JD) and you can pick up some very bad habits from the LSAT that can hurt your performance on the MCAT.

The LSAT rewards a very specific kind of hyper-detail-oriented, hyper-picky, and hyper-logic-oriented reading. For students with *very* poor critical reading skills, it might help a little bit to do LR problems from an LSAT workbook but there are limits on how applicable such skills are on the MCAT. The MCAT *much* more rewards an ability to read for large points and overall themes/opinions/main ideas. If you go too far down the road of LSAT reading, it will actually hurt your VR performance.

Personally, I spent SO long doing LSAT tutoring and my natural reading is very "LSAT-like" so even as an MCAT tutor I really struggle with the VR section.

OP
J
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am sure that it can be done and has been done. It will not be easy. Below is a thread on that very subject:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/anyone-start-with-a-score-of-4-or-6-on-verbal-and-improve-tremendously.185450/

1. Are you finishing the test. Try to finish at all cost. Do not go back to the passage if you are not currently finishing the test. Just keep going forward.

2. Start reading the Economist on a daily basis. Try not to miss any day of reading.

I would suggest that you get your hands on as many practice material as possible, evening the ones that are not considered as good, such as Berkeley Review, Kaplan, Gold Standards, etc. Also do not be afraid to used LSAT material. The more practice you do, eventually you will move closer to your goal.

I myself is down in the 7-8 range, I am about to purchase either PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning and/or Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning. I can not recommend either at the moment, since I have not use them as yet. Maybe you can look into those also. Best of luck.
Hey thank you for your response!
I've been following EK strategy, that is not relying on the details and looking at the big picture, utilizing the strategies given in EK, i still havent been able to score in my desired range.
I also hear alot of people having various opinions about reading journals but for the most part I believe it will help me since english is my sec language so thank you for that advice.
I still not sure which LSAT book I should use for practice

OP
J
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Be careful here.

I am both an LSAT tutor and an MCAT tutor (I got a perfect 180 last time I took the LSAT, and graduated high honors with my JD) and you can pick up some very bad habits from the LSAT that can hurt your performance on the MCAT.

The LSAT rewards a very specific kind of hyper-detail-oriented, hyper-picky, and hyper-logic-oriented reading. For students with *very* poor critical reading skills, it might help a little bit to do LR problems from an LSAT workbook but there are limits on how applicable such skills are on the MCAT. The MCAT *much* more rewards an ability to read for large points and overall themes/opinions/main ideas. If you go too far down the road of LSAT reading, it will actually hurt your VR performance.

Personally, I spent SO long doing LSAT tutoring and my natural reading is very "LSAT-like" so even as an MCAT tutor I really struggle with the VR section.
Hey! so basically you are saying that LSAT is more detail oriented while MCAT is exactly the opposite?
so that means using LSAT practice passage will not benefit me?

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
so that means using LSAT practice passage will not benefit me?
It might but I would never recommend it as a first-line approach to a student.

Instead, start by trying different strategies rather than just doing the EK. Maybe the EK approach isn't best for you. I have a short discussion of this over on my office hours thread.

Next, read every day. Lots of folks like to recommend the Economist, and that's fine, but I'm a fan of reading the worst possible thing onthe MCAT: philosophy

Good luck!

OP
J
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
It might but I would never recommend it as a first-line approach to a student.

Instead, start by trying different strategies rather than just doing the EK. Maybe the EK approach isn't best for you. I have a short discussion of this over on my office hours thread.

Next, read every day. Lots of folks like to recommend the Economist, and that's fine, but I'm a fan of reading the worst possible thing onthe MCAT: philosophy

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice! I will refer to your thread.

anyone else been through the same situation as mine? that english is your second language and being able to raise your score significantly?

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for your advice! I will refer to your thread.

anyone else been through the same situation as mine? that english is your second language and being able to raise your score significantly?
Yes, it's possible, but it is really, really hard.

I had a student this past cycle who started at a 4 on her first MCAT in March. We spent the summer doing verbal (spent like 95% of her tutoring time on VR) and on her second MCAT in August she got a 9 in VR. So it's definitely do-able.

Oh and English was, I think, her third language (after Hindi and Marathi, iirc)