Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone see Hillary on Good Morning America this morning?

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by MJB, Mar 26, 2007.

1. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    In general, I pretty much disagree with everything this woman TRULY stands for (not what she says), but she did have some interesting thoughts on improving technology in healthcare to make the system more efficient, etc..

I wondered if anyone saw the whole thing, as i did not get to, and if much discussion has taken place as to why some of these technologies have not been more quickly implemented into our healthcare systems.

One example...having to fill out/give the same personal information over and over and over and over rather than having an ID system of some sort in place.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MJB

MJB Senior Member

Attending Physician
  4. p9142

p9142 UR out of your element!

Medical Student
    Yeah I saw that. I hate how politicians weasel their way out of talking about anything mildly controvesial when they are running. When asked how she would pay for this universal healthcare plan she totally dodged the raising taxes question.

5. MJB

MJB Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed.

They like to talk a lot about what they are "going to do", but I have never heard a specifically detailed plan out of her.

6. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    I think on paper the idea of universal health care sounds like a great idea. Everyone gets healthcare and no one is left out. What's not to love?

In practice though it will be a completely different thing. Imagine injecting another 50 million people into our health care system. Compound that by having the gov't begin to cut corners where they can so that they can keep taxes as low as possible. Remember they have to worry about re-election. This could mean large waiting lists, pay cuts with increased hours, limited technological equipment (look at socialize medicine's impact on availability of MRIs in Canada) and a quality decline. How will medication be cheaper if the demand for these medications rises significantly with the influx of patients?

This is all hypothetical but I think the most disconcerting thing is that once we go to a single-payer system we probably will not be able to go back. I have very little confidence in the American public. I think when given the choice they will act in their perceived best interests, which for many would be handing the bill over to the government.

I agree, if someone would come up with a full plan that could be critiqued prior to election everyone would be better off.

7. MJB

MJB Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Considering I'm giving up a very comfortable career to head back to Medical School...the American public scares the crap outta me.

I can see it now, I'll go to school and pay over 200K and be in debt to my ears and get paid less than I do now to do a job I will hopefully like a lot more than the one I have.

Yes, I want to be in the profession because I can't see myself doing anything else and have had time to think about it, but I also don't want to screw myself over and not be able to afford to pay back my loans without working 100 hours/week.

8. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    I totally agree with you on this point. Clearly I came to the profession because it is what I wanted to do. I'm not in it solely for the money. Sure it was a consideration; I would probably not give up 7-10 years of my life and 120K+ to get compensated poorly. I hate how people on SDN (generally a pre-med looking from the outside in) jump on you when you are concerned about your potential earnings. It is a daunting thing to know that you will be giving up most of your young life to spend it in the library or on the wards while racking up tremendous debt. The prospect of getting screwed over by some politician (republican or democrat) who is using you as a political fodder does not sit well with me.

On a relatively related note: I don't like how Schawzenegger's plan would charge all physicians 2% of revenues. It sets a dangerous precedent. If you want to create a single payer system raise the damn taxes so that everyone actually feels the burden. Don't do this shadow dance where you weaken the business infrastructure by taxing businesses or stealing hospitals revenues or for that matter charging the people who are providing the service. What about charging RNs or NPs or PAs? Nope their lobby is too strong.

I'm pretty sure that the gov't doesn't charge all lawyers so that the Joe Citizen can have legal defense if he can't afford it. Ok, rant over.

9. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I like it! You should definitely e-mail that idea to Gov. Arnold! :D :thumbup:

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/