Anyone seen Ken Burns’ “Mayo Clinic” on Netflix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good watch. A bit glorified but inspiring.

Members don't see this ad.

Added to "My List" but it may have to wait behind "Homecoming" ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good watch. Especially loved the historical aspect with regards to the origins of the Mayo Clinic and how medicine was practiced in that era. Could have done without the cheesy patient testimonials though imo; sort of turned what was otherwise a great documentary into an infomercial at times.

I agree-good documentary minus the infomercialization (I mean, is the president and ceo of mayo gonna say other than stellar things about it?)

I thought it was outstanding. I didn't mind the patient testimonials as much, but I definitely found myself more interested in the historical bits. Now I just have to get back to finishing his 15-hour baseball documentary.

I thought it was outstanding. I didn't mind the patient testimonials as much, but I definitely found myself more interested in the historical bits. Now I just have to get back to finishing his 15-hour baseball documentary.

Are you sure it’s a documentary and just not a baseball game?

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I understood cricket — tried watching it and I feel like an alien trying to understand ballet.
it's very easy actually

Overs = At bat, of which you get 6 bowls (pitches)
Wickets = Outs. To get a wicket the "outfield" either catches at hit ball on the fly or the bowler hits the three sticks behind the batter

Scoring
1 - hit the wall (in any way) = 4
2 - "homerun" = 6
3 - put the ball in play and runners run back and forth and each time the cross it's 1 pt. If the ball is in play and they throw the ball back to the "Plate" before runner crosses = wicket, therefor "out"

Also, you bat until you get out on a wicket so some batters can score over 100 runs in an at bat

My favorite rule: "Leg before Wicket": basically, if the batter is blocking "the sticks" during a bowl thereby preventing the bowler from hitting the wickets. If they call it it's a wicket, therefore out

Depending on the match, the urban legend is true that it can last for days and they do actually take "tea breaks" and "lunch breaks". There are some matches call T20, which means they play 20 overs on each side and the side with the most runs obviously wins. it's much shorter (like 3 hrs) than "Test" cricket

Seriously, I was hooked after one trip to London but it's also big (and more exciting) in the Caribbean

it's very easy actually

Overs = At bat, of which you get 6 bowls (pitches)
Wickets = Outs. To get a wicket the "outfield" either catches at hit ball on the fly or the bowler hits the three sticks behind the batter

Scoring
1 - hit the wall (in any way) = 4
2 - "homerun" = 6
3 - put the ball in play and runners run back and forth and each time the cross it's 1 pt. If the ball is in play and they throw the ball back to the "Plate" before runner crosses = wicket, therefor "out"

Also, you bat until you get out on a wicket so some batters can score over 100 runs in an at bat

My favorite rule: "Leg before Wicket": basically, if the batter is blocking "the sticks" during a bowl thereby preventing the bowler from hitting the wickets. If they call it it's a wicket, therefore out

Depending on the match, the urban legend is true that it can last for days and they do actually take "tea breaks" and "lunch breaks". There are some matches call T20, which means they play 20 overs on each side and the side with the most runs obviously wins. it's much shorter (like 3 hrs) than "Test" cricket

Seriously, I was hooked after one trip to London but it's also big (and more exciting) in the Caribbean

You lost me at “Overs”

Reactions: 1 users
Cricket is a gentleman sport of sorts, multiday too. People can sit picnic style and watch. Different style than baseball for sure

felt like a documentary-styled advertisement