Anyone shocked by the number of unfilled surgery spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Cash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone...had an idea...

Not that I'm wishing anyone on this board to have to scramble. However, if anyone gets that e-mail on Monday saying they have to scramble, I wonder if they would be willing to post the PDF file that contains the listing of what surgery programs have spots open (ie. which programs have to scramble to fill).

It would be really interesting to see how many categorical slots are open before the scramlble is completed.

What do ya'll think.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad.

It would be interesting. I bet there won't be many...

I hear applications are up 40% this year, and since the number of open categorical spots last year was half the number the year prior to last, I think there will be fewer than 40 open categorical spots.

I think Scutwork usually has the list of open spots out within a couple of days after Match Day.

Good luck to all the senior med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
40 open spots would be roughly 4X the number open last year - 11 as I recall. If the PD's played the game well, there may be no open slots this year.

I would tend to agree with pilot doc...I bet there may be zero spots open for those who go unmatched. That would really suck if someone didn't match because of a technical error or some other f-up in the system.

Anyone with any "pre-match jitters" worrying if they should have altered their ranks of X, Y, or Z programs?

We will have to get a "matched at..." thread going on Thursday after folks begin to sober up or prior to the onset of intoxication.

Best of Luck to All!!

Go Celtics!!

Good thread going here...there were about 11 categorical slots left open last year (but from what I have heard) that was AFTER the scramble.

I'm interested in knowing who has vacanies BEFORE the scramble is completed. The only way to find this information out would be for someone who has access to this information via NRMP (ie someone who is scrambling...doesn't even have to be in the field of surgery). If they would look at the PDF file NRMP sends Monday afternoon with the vacancies...it would show the surgery programs with spots open before the scramble session is completed.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Yep, droliver's right: 11 unmatched slots BEFORE the scramble.

cash,
no offense, but people who get the you did not match email are probably not going to be interested in feeding your gossip tooth. most likely, they'll be sweating their ass off and worrying where and if they can find a spot to become a surgeon. take it easy and good luck to everybody out there. match day is approaching and the anxiety is making everything a little bit hot in here, so be cool!

no only the unmatched ppl get to see it on tuesday..

general surgery has 377 unfilled spots this year???? what the hey????? how many were there last year??:smuggrin: :smuggrin: (sorry i can't resist this icon)

ur talkin prelim spots right?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not clear how many of these are prelim and how many are categorical. on the website it simply lists unfilled pgy-1 spots by region. still, that's a lot of frickin' spots!!

377 that does seem like a lot!
how many total categorical positions are there and how many prelim positions are in the match?

help put things in perspective

i'm looking on nrmp, where is this website? i can only find 2003 entering data.

Someone told me you can find regional 2004 data on nrmp, but i'm not finding anything relevant.

Originally posted by Crimson&Clover
it's not clear how many of these are prelim and how many are categorical. on the website it simply lists unfilled pgy-1 spots by region. still, that's a lot of frickin' spots!!

Where's the info coming from? Which website are you referring to?

Hello all,

I believe this includes all Cat + Prelim. If you look at last year numbers of total unmatched, it is 369 with this years reported number being 377. This is obviously prelim + cat. Easy reference on Scutwork for last years numbers.

http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?page=MatchReg03&d=1

This years numbers can only be seen by registered NRMP candidates at this time in the report section.

Congratulations to all that matched and good luck on Thursday!

IBS:

the website i'm referring to for this year's numbers is your login page on the residency match system. go to 'my reports' and then click on regional match statistics...

Originally posted by IBS
Hello all,

I believe this includes all Cat + Prelim. If you look at last year numbers of total unmatched, it is 369 with this years reported number being 377.

where did you find 377? (for 2004), post the website.

here is an official spreadsheet from nrmp for 1997-2003, it has cat/prelim broken down.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/adt2003.pdf

Originally posted by Crimson&Clover
the website i'm referring to for this year's numbers is your login page on the residency match system. go to 'my reports' and then click on regional match statistics...

could you post them here? not all of us are seniors yet.. :b

How is possible that 18% (377 of 2118) of all surgery spots went unfilled? I thought this was supposed to be a turn around year for surgery with the limits on resident work hours. Both psych(4%) and pediatrics(4%) were more competitive than surgery this year.

That number includes prelim surgery positions

I guess those numbers are about the same as last year and better than two years ago..

This is the 2004 Regional Match Results

General Surg PGY-1 (Cat + Prelim)

Western Region (Offered/Not filled) 307/65
Central Region (Offered/Not filled) 427/53
Southern Region (Offered/Not filled) 561/107
Northeastern Region (Offered/Not filled) 823/152
Total (Offered/Not filled) 2118/377

Ortho PGY-1

Western Region (Offered/Not filled) 79/0
Central Region (Offered/Not filled) 162/1
Southern Region (Offered/Not filled) 158/0
Northeastern Region (Offered/Not filled) 190/0
Total (Offered/Not filled) 589/1

Plastics PGY-1

Western Region (Offered/Not filled) 11/0
Central Region (Offered/Not filled) 25/1
Southern Region (Offered/Not filled) 14/0
Northeastern Region (Offered/Not filled) 28/0
Total (Offered/Not filled) 78/1

IBS

How is possible that 18% (377 of 2118) of all surgery spots went unfilled? I thought this was supposed to be a turn around year for surgery with the limits on resident work hours.

Uhhhhh....cause life after residency sucks too. Maybe when the attendings are working less than 80 hours a week more people will go into it.

The majority of those will be Prelim spots - most, if they had a choice, choose an IM prelim year over a Surgical one (for obvious reasons). Overall, this is still less than the last couple of years (when the total numbers > 400). So no reason to be "shocked".

i guess we will know today - my money is on 7 spots open

Of the 377, I'd guess 75-80% are prelim spots. Maybe more. The Cat's will fill this year. I'll bet <10 go unfilled.

Numbers look very similar to last year (accord. to scutwork).

2 unfilled categorical spots this year:

Arizona Code Quota Matched

Univ Arizona Affil Hosps
James Warneke 1015440C0 6 5
F: 520-626-2247
[email protected]

Wisconsin Code Quota Matched

Gundersen Lutheran-WI
Thomas Cogbill 1774440C0 2 1
P: 608-775-6650
F: 608-775-4457
[email protected]

The two spots are in Wisconsin and Arizona

Surgery is UP, Again!!!!

missouri columbia filled 1 of 2. they also did not fill an ortho spot though. wondering if they took people outside the match.

thanks, slick

hard to believe Missouri didn't fill. that program seemed to be pretty highly-regarded by my class last year. They only had three attendings, but it looked like a pretty complete program.

good luck on Thursday

Which programs in Wisconsin and Arizona? Anybody know?

Just out of curiousity...and not to down those in the scramble as i truly feel for you...what does/did your email say if you didn't match?

Best of luck to the warriors who are scrambling today. Best wishes to the matched as we are nearing the end of this long and drawn-out process!

Only 2 spots left open!! pretty tight this year...good luck to everyone!

okay, never mind...i can't believe there are only 2 unfilled spots!!!
i guess i got overexcited for nothing:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

hey maxheadroom,

what program are you at? I still have to hold my breath about PRS vs. GSurg till thursday. I guess it'll be more wine every night until thursday.

One spot at University of Arizona

One spot at Gunderseon-Luteran in Wisconsin

Lots of unfilled info can be found at usmle.net (click on "Match") discussion board.

Or you can check out residencyforum.com

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

There were 500 more applicants for surgery this year than last. Can you believe that?

does anyone have any idea how many prelim spots remain after the scramble?

Thanks!

375 prelim, only 2 categoricals. amazing how the pendulum swings. Now if only family practice could swing..

The only shock I found was when I was told only 2 spots were open for those unfortunate souls who didn't match. I knew surgery applications were up this year...but to only have 2 spots to choose from if you didn't match was a little shocking.

Otherwise, the prelim numbers don't mean anything as far as shock factor goes. As other posts have mentioned, if you have to do a prelim year for another specialty, who wants to work their a$$ off for a year when they aren't even going into that specialty...unless you are like some of the bright radiology residents I have seen who did surgery prelim and learned a great deal about it and are a great asset.
:cool:

how many U.S. and total number of applicants were up this year. where's the source to get the statistics?

I heard from a program director that there were 1400 AMG applicants for 950 Categorical positions (up from 1200 last year). This seems reasonable given how many of my classmates didn't match g.surg and had to scramble.

Rumor has it that even the 375 g.surg prelim slots were gone in the first hour of scramble. Definitely have a "there but for the grace of God go I" sympathy for the g.surg scramble this year. Hope everyone figured something out to their satisfaction.

Is is true that PDs and chief residents already know the residents that are in their program?