1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone start early?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Publius, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Publius

Publius Member
    5+ Year Member

I am currently classified as a sophomore, but, due to my situation, it will be another 3-3.5yrs before I graduate. I have just completed my first Gen Chem class and have yet to take a Bio or Physics course.
    I was just curious to find out if any of you started getting in the 'MCAT mindset,' or began using any of the various MCAT study guides this early in the game.
    Out of curiosity, I’ve thumbed through some of the Kaplan, EK, and TPR books, all of which, understandably, over my head for the time being.
    I understand that I need to be concerned with the core classes and setting up a strong base now,
    just curious if any of you started out with these review materials this early in the game and what your experiences were with it. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

- Pub

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chilon85

chilon85 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    it is never too early to start planning. although I would wait until you were "ready" before you took the actual MCAT, it probably would be to your advantage to at least start looking into the topics that are covered, etc so that when you take your pre reqs. you can focus on those areas a bit more so that you won't have to re-learn everything once you begin your "actual" review. im a junior right now and i started studying, even if it was a little here and there, in august (im planning on taking the april MCAT) and I actually wish I had started even earlier because time flies quickly and you always find that there are other things you need to do as well. hope this helps. goodluck.

4. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm there. Probably about a year away from my MCATs, but already looking over material. I was recommended Barron's MCAT study guide.

5. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would not think of it as prepping for the MCAT. You need to do well in your basic sciences so as you progess through your basic science classes you could be reading relevant MCAT review material. By the time you review for the MCAT you will have become very familiar with your book.

I did this for ochem 1&2 and bio 1&2 and I think it helped tremendously. when I finally started my studying for the MCAT I had nearly memorized those books

6. Publius

Publius Member
    5+ Year Member

Really appreciate the replies guys. I think the main thing for me, when it comes to standardized tests, is getting acquainted with the style of questioning and the format of the tests. Have to believe that all of these practice exams are close to the same as far as questioning style, or they wouldn't sell as well as they do.
    I'm terrible about procrastinating, in general, but this is something that I definitely don't want to sit back on.
    Thanks again

-Pub