Anyone start studying for the boards before starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a book to start studying for step 1, possibly this fall. I've seen study questions, and the concepts are things that I understand fairly well. Maybe not in such great detail, but I think I can pick it up on my own.

I've had advanced biological science courses:
- Biochemistry I & II
- Endocrinology
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Microbiology/Immunology
- Animal Virology
- Vertebrate Physiology
- and so on...

Also, I am a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree and a CSCS, so I know my musculoskeletal anatomy pretty well. And I volunteer in the trauma center with a bunch of med students and residents who I can question about stuff.

At this point, I am fairly certain that I will get in somewhere. Not really sure where, but I think I've applied to the right places. My goal in life is now to kick step 1's ass. I also want to take both boards. I know I can get allopathic residencies with COMLEX, but I want to leave nothing to chance. Now this isn't to say that I will ultimately want an allopatich residency, but I want as many options as I can get. So I figure I'll study for USMLE on my own, and maybe take a class for COMLEX, when the time comes. That is, assuming I end up at a DO school, which I'd say is greater than a 50% chance.

Additionally, the subject matter is interesting to me, which is why I want to be a doctor in the first place. I think it would give me a good little head start. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Woah there turbo!! My personal opinion is that you should wait to study for boards after you've been accepted and even after you've matriculated. From what I've read from current med students, they don't recommend even studying for anatomy the summer before 1st year. I think you should kick back, relax and enjoy the ride.

wow! dont you think thats kinda early? may wanna get the material before you start studying...one day at a time folks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not talking about hard core studying. Just wanted to get a prep book and read a little.

Why should I wait? I like this stuff.

I'm not talking about hard core studying. Just wanted to get a prep book and read a little.

Why should I wait? I like this stuff.

Go for it! If you like the stuff, it should be a pleasurable read then.

If you enjoy doing other things though or if you have any other hobbies, try to have fun with that instead though. It's really easy to get lost in studying when you're in med school and neglect all the other things you like to do.

If you know all the insertions, origins, innervations, of muscles, blood supplies, nerves and plexus, as well as all other aspects of gross anatomy to the point where you don't need to think about it, go ahead.

Nothing will take a backseat to my racing next season. But I can't train all the time.

I know origins, insertions, and some nerves and blood supply. I know the brachial plexus pretty well, but not as well as I'd like. I'd say that's a decent start. I also have all the material I need to learn it too.

lol pre-meds are funny

...Additionally, the subject matter is interesting to me, which is why I want to be a doctor in the first place. I think it would give me a good little head start. Any thoughts?

IMO, those books are good for review AFTER you've learned the material in your med school classes. You're a lot better off forgetting about it until the time comes. Use your time in classes to really, really learn the material well. Then, you can spend some time on the review books.

I understand your enthusiasm... but you are way better off focusing on learning the material, rather than focusing on Step One. Focusing on that can actually be very distracting. If you spend the time learning the material the right way, you won't have to worry about the boards.