anyone still sitting on secondaries??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Bounty, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member

I just can't seem to bring myself to do these last few! I know it's crazy and I should just suck it up and finish but I feel sooooo unmotivated. AAAAH! Just needed to vent... :)
    Bounty

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

i've had 2 left for a long time now...what can i say? i'm lazy!

4. DaBruin

DaBruin Member

I know what you mean, I have quite a few sitting actually but I gotta say..answering the SAME questions over and over is extremely frustrating, especially when the school changes the wording so you cant use the same answer as another school! hehe. But I feel you, I cant seem to get myself to do them either...with some schools I just feel like saying "didnt you bother to look at my AMCAS? I already listed coursework and my activities!" So with you Bounty, I too had to vent...hang in there.

5. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

I have U Pitt and U VA to do but I am not going to do the latter because I don't want to.:D

I'm still debating whether or not to do U Pitt since they sent me a letter to apply to their school based solely on my MCAT. I feel as if no school will look past my undergrad even though it was over 6 yrs ago...Blah, Blah, Blah!!!

So, I guess I'm done:clap: :clap: :clap:

6. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

8 more for me. I am leaving the country for two weeks on Saturday. Gotta get them done by then!

7. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member

Seriously! It's annoying because the questions are similar but different enough that if you used the exact same essay, it would sound kinda funny. The worst part is taking something and cutting it down or adding to it to make it fit different character/word requirements. yucky.
    But we can do this!

8. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    I finally forced myself to finish vanderbilt's on sunday - ugh!:mad:
    Seriously - "try and limit your response to 2000 words." :laugh: I'll try and refrain myself. I think i barely scraped together 1000. But that was the last one! Now nothing to do except stress over interviews!

9. athena21

athena21 Senior Member

I have Rush left--I'm way past my deadline but I cannot for the life of me get myself to write those essays--there's too many of them!!!! I can't take it! RUSH!!!! I need to do them though cuz I hear students love it there!

10. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

I've got 11 more to go !!! +pissed+ It is difficult for me to crank these out, work, tutor, take a calc course, and have somewhat of a life. Plus, the thought process for essays is a bit slower for me. I dunno...my goal is to get them all done by December. Personally, I don't feel too much of a rush, since I can't afford to write checks for all of them right now.

11. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

I've done 25+ secondaries, and there's two more left. I just don't feel like doing them anymore, but one of them is for my state school, so I've gotta get some motivation quick!

12. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

I was using the "one of my LOR's still isn't in yet" excuse, but I can't use that one any more (the lousey prof finally sent it) so my last 2 are getting done this weekend by god!!!

13. Street Philosopher

3 left. don't really have an excuse except i was nauseaus for a week, and i do work maybe 4 hrs a week :laugh:

i have a rough draft for one, one is for my state school, and the other one i don't really care about writing a good one for. :laugh:

worst part is that school starts tomorrow. but then again i don't have class on fridays so i still have a 3 day weekend to finish them.

oh yeah, and my computer broke so i don't have access to my regular working environment. :p

14. Tweetie_bird

I feel ilke I have become a secondary cranking out machine lately. You know, I have a whole Word document with ALL my essays to ALL my secondaries typed in. It's my master document. And you know how long it is? almost 30 frekin pages!! SINGLE SPACED!!! How in the world do I write so much crap?

I only have mone left for another 4 or 5 so that's all I'm gonna do. Talk about recycling stuff--I have used the same essay for 4 schools now. Just tweaked a bit here and there to make it seem coherent.

15. Street Philosopher

I'm the opposite way. I have about 5 files, different versions for each essay I write. Like one of them will be my brainstorming file, the other my outline file, then a rough draft file, then another draft file, and finally, maybe a final draft file. :p

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy Taneuma

Resident [Any Field]
    I have two left, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do them. I'm running low on funds now and I'm left with the choice of financing some interviews trips and paying for the secondaries. I guess the secondaries will wait and may not ever be submitted.

18. chloe5

chloe5 Senior Member

Oh God!!
    I've still got to do some of the biggies.
    Hopkins, Case, Pritzker +pissed+ , also Yale and Rush.
    Guess I'm putting myself at a huge disadvantage. Oh well. :(
    Have to get my real work done....

19. rosa

rosa Member

I know!!!:laugh:

20. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

one secondary (drexel's...it was late!!!! i just need to write the why MPH essay) and the primary for a non-AMCAS (oops...). this weekend...i've been doing silly grant apps all week.

21. lola

lola Bovine Member

there was a why mph essay?! i don't remember that... ugh!

22. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell

Resident [Any Field]
    Waiting to send Creighton, (have to wait until next payday) and one to finish, OHSU.

I just sent in Tufts the other day and it was one of the very first secondaries I received! Whoops. I totally relate to everyone else's feeling of secondary burn-out....I don't know what it is, but I had 5 or so sec.'s that were just lurking around for the longest time and I just finally sat down and finished them. Just do them...the sooner the better :cool: !

23. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician

Attending Physician
    ditto that-- i don't remember no stinkin' essay!! stupid secondaries. :rolleyes:

24. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

anyone still sitting on secondaries that they actually PLAN on completing?

i have 6 more to go. i guess 21/27 by late september isn't too bad. but i'm just not motivated to finish these last few

25. New York

New York Junior Member

I have one left(stony brook)..but I cant seem to get this one done and stony is one of my top choice schools!! sigh..
    The deadline is 11/30, do you guys think I'm late in the game now? and for those of you who've already completed these 3 annoying questions, what did you guys talk about for the question asking "what contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed"??

26. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I THINK she means an essay for if you're applying md/mph, not why you have a MPH, lola. I could be wrong though, and if so, and me to the list of people who missed that one. I dont know, einstein asked me to write a little explanation as to why i was getting one when i asked for an interview.........

i've only got one more to go. unfortunately, its UPitt, MSTP no less. and i already have a freakin interview :mad: cant i just tell them everything i was gonna say in person?

27. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

I have 8 more to go after I finish w/ the one I'm currently working on. That'll be 19/27. I can totally feel myself slowing down, which won't help when I start prepping for interviews too.

28. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

Been sitting on Vanderbilt for quite awhile now, but just have to get it done before my interview in a few weeks...

Hmm I sense it slowly beginning to creep up on me...
    ...now, honestly, who really thinks they are going to read through all of these ~2000 word autobiographies?

29. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

D-dubs right....i meant why i wanted an MPH in addition to the MD. sorry about freaking people out!!

30. rae-chill

rae-chill Member

you sdn junkie, maybe someone should deprive you of your posting priviledges until you finish your secondaries - how's that for motivation :p kidding... get on it!!!

31. Kristin_Le

Kristin_Le Member

Ughh...
    You guys who are done ore have 2 left are totally motivating me...I have like 10 secondaries left to do...I guess I just have trouble justifying my existence in 1000 characters or less. Oh well...I guess enough SDN for tonight and more painfull essay writing...blah!

32. cbpremed

cbpremed Senior Member

Got two more, Drew UCLA and Drexel. What's up with Drew asking a million questions...they are right down the street from me...how come I can't just tell them?? I don't know, I'm tired of typing and thinking....hope to get it done this week. Tryin to keep my head up....take care everybody. :cool:

33. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

I've procrastinate a lot lately since I've already interviewed at UIC and if I get in there sometime around the 15th I'll probably toss the rest of my secondaries. I've turned in my secondaries to all the schools I really want to go to and the others are just backups in case the **** hits the fan.

I still have UofC and Rush left since they're just a pain to do but I hope to finish them this week. Ohio State and SLU i"m kind of ambivalent about I'd say there's a 50% chance I'll complete them. Then there's Drexel which I probably won't bother with if I get in to UIC.