1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone still waiting for USN?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by asian pharm, Apr 20, 2007.

1. asian pharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I have still not heard anything from USN after the interview. anyone in the same situation? it is almost the end of april now.:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prescott3200

Pre-Pharmacy
    Interviewed in Jan and still nothing. :(

4. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

so i found out today that i got rejected by USN. :(
    i guess my overall gpa of 3.55 and science gpa of 3.4 is not good enough. I wish they could have taken into consideration letters of reccomendation. I don't understand why they put so much weight on GPA? 60% GPA and 40% interview? My hopes are almost gone. Rejected and waitlisted by all the schools I applied. Maybe I should look into another field. :(

5. rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's because of your screen name...Nah, i am just kidding. Don't give up. The difference between a winner and a loser is: the winner doesn't give up...

6. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

looking back, I realize my mistake during the interview is that I tried to be too funny. I guess my interviewers didn't have a sense of humor.

7. zebiraross

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Did you get a letter telling you this?

8. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

small envelope via snail mail. I guess I'm the first to receive a rejection by USN. I'm hopeless. Sigh.:oops:

9. overhillpharmer

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Did you interview as USN or did they send you a rejection letter notifying you that you would not be considered for admission this fall?

10. SoylentGreen

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I actually asked them why they don't ask for letters of recommendation, and they told me that they don't predict the performance of students - IOW, they're meaningless. Same with the PCAT, which is why they don't ask you to take it either. I suppose your GPA is the closest thing they have to an accurate assessment of your abilities - but we all know that it depends somewhat on your school and your professors, so the process is necessarily imperfect.

Your GPA is a little below average for USN (which is 3.7 or so), so I'd think you would have to do very well in the interview and probably have good ECs and volunteer work to make it, but it's average for a lot of schools. If you already have good ECs and volunteer work, you're might be messing up the interviews, and maybe mock interviews could help.

If they're sending out rejections now, I suppose that those of us who haven't been called yet are mostly not getting in.. at least the agonizing wait will be over - unless you count working for peanuts as a tech for a year while waiting for another chance.

11. SoylentGreen

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I just checked the mail: I got a rejection letter too, as expected.

12. misstofu

misstofu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    oh no, maybe i should check my mail too!! maybe it's in!! jeezzz....when did you guys have ur interview?

13. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

how'd you get rejected with a 3.8 gpa?

14. asian pharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    there is nothing unusual in getting rejected with a 3.8. i got rejected with a 3.89, today. and i dont think i did that bad in the interview. i dont understand what they want to hear from our mouth during the interview.:confused: i would not say anything bad about this school since it would offend somebody, but i am really perplexed and dissapointed with this.

15. lvp0021

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The problem with this school is that your interview result heavily depends on the people doing it, especially the pharm students!! Mine were not that great at all (though I get accepted and decline their offer). The only thing I like about this school is how friendly and helpful Dr. Deyoung is with the applicants. Regarding the interview, if you get one of those mean students who don't know pharmacy themselves, you're pretty out of luck!

16. Smilescali

Smilescali Almost there...
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Isn't this the case with any type of interview?.:confused: :confused: :laugh:

I think I know what you are trying to say though. It does matter who you interview with, but that is why there are 3 interviewers. USN is no different from than any other pharmacy school when it comes to the luck of the draw in regards to who you get as an interviewer. I have conducted numerous interviews and I can say that each interviewer's score carries the same weight, so even if a student gives you a lower score you still can get a decent score if you click with another one of the interviewers.

I am sorry to hear that some of you did not get into USN. Despite what you may hear or read in this forum about USN, the interview can make or break you....it is not only about GPA at USN. I am so sick of hearing that.:p

17. Ray1234

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was pretty much in the same situation last year. I had good gpa, good experiences in three different pharmacy settings (pharm lab, retail, and hospital pharm).. Degrees in Botany and Biology with minor in chem (just needed 9 cr. to get bs in chemistry)..200 + credits..in different universities... i think i did not give a good answer last year when they asked me about a conflict with cutomer and with a superior authority.
    This year, i was even wait listed in Pacific university.. so basically needed some luck too.. i guess.
    And always present yourself as a distinguished applicant in the pool.
    I do not know exactly how they evaluate each applicant.. i was shattered earlier when i was placed in a wait list (#21) in pacific university.
    The only thing i can tell you is ... show your committment to this profession.. persistant work will definately be paid off one day...
    ray

18. SoylentGreen

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The interview didn't go so well, and my volunteer, ECs and leadership experience were weak. And, who knows, maybe they just didn't like my haircut.

19. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

was it short and spikey?

20. sprinkle0420

sprinkle0420 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So I guess this means that those of still waiting are going to get the dreaded rejection letters :(. Damn, this sucks since I am still waiting to hear back from Midwestern CPG which from other postings on here seems to be pretty much only waitlisting people and Touro. Ugh, I just want to get into pharmacy school! I will sell my very soul to the devil, just don't let me have to wait aonther year!!

21. gvsk

gvsk pharMAFIA!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    well i hav to do 3 more pre reqs in the summer with a C or better before i am officially into USA henderson.

CALC I, Eng Com I, Speech

I am currently contemplating where to do these courses if i dont get a colg tat offers thses i am done for as havent gotten admitted into any other colg right now.. and Cant afford to wait a yr like this

22. cw_ek9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    have u tried looking for a community college around Henderson yet?

23. guardians

guardians TSU c/o 2011
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    In Houston, got my rejection letter today from Southern Nevada.

24. cw_ek9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Anyone get a letter to be waitlisted yet?

25. thinkblue

thinkblue Member
    10+ Year Member

I just got the acceptance call from Dr. DeYoung an hour ago. I interviewed back in march.

26. airen

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    guess dr. deyoung was working late tonight.

27. cw_ek9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    did u still get an option on what school you want to go to? also, what is your gpa if you dont mind me asking. btw.. congrats!

28. thinkblue

thinkblue Member
    10+ Year Member

the henderson campus is full, so i have to take the utah campus and have them put me on the waitlist for henderson. i have a 3.6 overall and 3.5 science, and will receive my bs at a UC this june.

29. BigKimchi

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congrats thinkblue, I'm glad you made in into the school ;) Hoping to apply after this year after Fall 07' semester is over.

My stats are similiar, 3.6 overall and 3.6-3.8 prereq depending on this semester. I just hope I get an interview...

30. cw_ek9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Did they say where you were at on the waitlist? like top 20 or anything like that?

31. thinkblue

thinkblue Member
    10+ Year Member

i didn't ask dr. deyoung about it. maybe when i get the official letter, it'll have something about it. I am pretty sure that usn doesn't give you a number on the waitlist though. it's another wait and see thing :( Crossing my fingers for those still waiting.

32. gsinccom

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Congrats to you thinkblue!

Be sure to have yourself added to the rollcall:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=373798

And may I ask you if you plan to attend USN(i.e. - are they your 1st choice) or are you still waiting on other schools?
    If you do end up at USN then may I say "welcome as a classmate"!

Best wishes

33. thinkblue

thinkblue Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks for the welcome gsinccom and I may well end up being your classmate, so hello there. although i'm still waiting for another school, it would be hard for me to turn usn down as they're one of my top choices. i have completed all of my prereqs for usn so at least i don't have to worry about that.