Anyone still waiting for verification after 5 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted August 9 and still have not been verified. I called AMCAS and the lady said that it takes up to 6 weeks, which I already knew. But I've heard of people who have been verified for a while who sent their application a couple of days before mine. Am I the only one waiting this long or are there others out there?

Members don't see this ad.

When did you become active? I went active late Aug...so I have a while. This is my 4th week I believe. I will start bugging them next week.

I called AMCAS and she said I became active on August 11, 2 days after I submitted. So today is my 5 week anniversary. The lady said not to worry, but I want to know if there's a way to speed this thing up! Also, where do you find out what day you went active? I'm going off what she said, although my application says submitted/certified on August 9. I don't see anything on the print view about the active date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
I submitted August 9 and still have not been verified. I called AMCAS and the lady said that it takes up to 6 weeks, which I already knew. But I've heard of people who have been verified for a while who sent their application a couple of days before mine. Am I the only one waiting this long or are there others out there?

i submitted mine july 11th, and didn't get verified until LATE AUGUST, so it took over 6 weeks (4 1/2 after getting my transcripts). they're obviously very busy.

Call them. Send an e-mail. Twice I have called when the process seemed to stall and both times, within hours, I was on the next phase of the process.

definitely call them... i submitted on july 4th, went active july 15 and was not processed until sept. 15. i called them twice during that time, and the last time finally got me on their "priority processing" list... after 2 whole months! sheesh!

i was verified within about 6 weeks.......

but i haven't gotten jacksh1t in terms of 2ndary apps yet....

went active august 7th...verified today!!!! yayyyyyy!!! i mean, it's only september 16th.....i wonder how some people can get verified in a couple of weeks, while for others it takes several? i emailed them a couple of days ago, so i wonder if that had anything to do with it...since i saw on some thread someone said that it helps to do that....

it took me about 4 weeks to verify. i submitted mine in mid-july. don't worry, yours will probably be verified soon. call/email them if you don't receive any word within the next 1-2 weeks.

I hit 5 weeks yesterday. If I don't hear anything by the beginning of next week, I will be placing an anxious phone call.

I'm an August MCATer, so I'm looking to all of you people ahead of me in the game for a little wisdom.

DoctorWannaBe said something about an application becoming "active." What is that?

I submitted my AMCAS on Sept. 7, and it's now on "hold" while they are waiting for my transcript, which my school's registrar presumably sent out around Sept. 5, when I asked them to.

Is it possible they really haven't gotten it? Am I looking at another 4-6 weeks from when they admit to have gotten it? Can I send it to them with delivery cnfirmation of some sort, so that they have to admit to getting it?

Thanks for the info, people.

Delivery confirmation doesn't really mean anything, except to you. You know that they got it, but if they don't admit to having received it i.e. they lose it, it doesn't get you anything. I would check with your registrar and find out when it was sent out, then call AMCAS and see if they can tell you if they received it. If they can't, have it sent out again immediately.

You're "active" when they've acknowledged recieving everything and can start verifying that your transcripts match the grades on your AMCAS application.

The 4-6 weeks they talk about includes the time it takes your transcripts to surface in the huge mound they're presumeably slogging through.

Originally posted by ewing
Am I looking at another 4-6 weeks from when they admit to have gotten it? Can I send it to them with delivery cnfirmation of some sort, so that they have to admit to getting it?

Ewing, prepare to be very patient with this process. I almost lost my mind from waiting so much:mad: . It takes around 5 weeks for AMCAS to "find" your transcripts. Add to that another 6 weeks for them to verify your information... you're looking to be done 10 weeks from when you sent it. (Nov. 30th?) During this time, try to get as many secondaries done and sent in (from the schools that don't screen). That way, when your AMCAS is finally transmitted to schools, your applications will be complete. You should also send your LORs to schools as it takes them a while to "find" these as well. Good luck!

Okay I think MOST, if not all, the schools I applied to don't screen for secondaries. Do you think I should send their secondaries in anyway? Will they hate me? or worse lose my secondary?
I am still NOT verified. I got a copy of their secondaries from friends.

Hey kids!

Live near Iowa? Want to help people and learn about the medical school application process at the same time?

Come volunteer for the AMCAS mailroom!

According to the latest statistics offered by the sweet midwestern phone operator I just spoke to, it typically takes 10 days from the time a transcript arrives there until the time someone actually picks up the envelope and decides to "activate" your application. That's the start of the 4-6 week window that it takes them to read the transcript and read your AMCAS and make sure that there is a line-to-line correspondence between the two.

Imagine the thrill you'd get if you just picked up an envelope, entered it into the system, and spent 5 minutes running through the corsework and making sure it synched with the AMCAS. You just saved some future doctor about a month of worry and heartache.

Now imagine you volunteer there 5 hours per week, instead of 5 minutes per week. Multiply that warm rewarding feeling by 60, and then multiply by the number of weeks.

Besides, you will have the opportunity to read about the courses and grades offered by hundreds of secondary institutions all accross America. It's an opportunity second to none.

Besides, when it's time for you to apply to medical school, you can just walk in and enter yourself into the system whenever you feel like it. And that fingerpainting class WILL count toward your BCPM GPA.

Think about it.

What's the difference between your application being activated and waiting for them to receive your transcripts? If your application has been transmitted and they've received your transcript, doesn't that automatically mean your application is active or is there another step where someone has to get on their computer and press some button that says "active?"

Alexander

what gets done first, getting processed or getting verified?

Originally posted by Alexander99
If your application has been transmitted and they've received your transcript, doesn't that automatically mean your application is active or is there another step where someone has to get on their computer and press some button that says "active?"

Alexander

When they receive your transcript, they wait for the fat lady to sing THEN you go "active"...basically you don't know if all your stuff has been received until your file is labeled as "Active". It's just a confirmation status that you should shut your trap and not call them until they verify you.:rolleyes:

Well, I finally got verified today after 5 1/2 weeks of waiting. I've gotten so impatient waiting for the verification, I can't imagine waiting another several weeks for secondaries and then waiting again for interviews and acceptances/rejections! Good luck to everyone waiting!

hey guys, just thought I'd add to the list:

Submitted: 8/15
Active: ~ 2-3 days later
Processed: Today (9/17). It's only now that I see the "Transmission Dates" to all the medical schools.

I had all my transcripts in even before I submitted, so that might have sped things up a bit. I guess now the real fun begins...

Good luck to everyone waiting.

I submitted my AMCAS exactly a week ago (minus a couple hours), and today got my 3rd and 4th secondary requests from non-screening schools. The WashU e-mail I got said this:

"Your AMCAS information has been electronically transmitted to our office. Your next step is to complete our Supplemental On-line Application and submit the required letters of recommendation. "

Does this mean that the actual AMCAS (personal statement, MCAT and all) was transmitted to them, or just my contact info? I'm guessing the latter, although it would be nice to see some sort of progress. BTW I sent my transcript in in late June.

They send just the bearbones minimum at first. I think they said name and birthplace.

Well I am now 5 weeks and counting. +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

oh well, HAPPY HURRICANE PARTY EVERYONE!!!!