anyone studying exclusively with examkrackers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siberianhusky88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides nova for physics, I am using examkrackers books and their 1001 series for verbal, gen chem, bio, and organic. Can I trust that examkrackers will contain all the information that I will need to know for these subjects? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From my personal experience, no. I used EC exclusively and had to void my June 13 Exam because my practice tests were crap. I am scheduled for July 18 and am looking for other sources to use.

I agree, they left me high and dry on Jun 13--especially the BIO.

The entire BIO section on this test was genetics. EK is just too weak there. They seem to be frozen in 1999-2000 with regard to the bio.

Sticking with one company exclusively is 100% a bad idea. You should use books from Examkrackrs, Princeton Review, AND Kaplan. The strengths of one will supplement the weakness of another.

Also, the 1001 series of Examkrackers are useless. The questions, especially the physics ones, are so detailed and often about abstract concepts, that they are useless for the MCAT. That being said, if you can ace the 1001 series, you will ace the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides nova for physics, I am using examkrackers books and their 1001 series for verbal, gen chem, bio, and organic. Can I trust that examkrackers will contain all the information that I will need to know for these subjects? Thanks

I am, other than using hyperphysics or a few other websites. I've finished 1001Qs for o-chem, bio, and most of physics. Still working on chem. It's good stuff. But, I will say that their practice tests kind of seem "different" than the other tests out there. So, I will definitely be doing all the AAMC tests for practice.

I studied pretty much solely from EK stuff for the May 31 MCAT. I did take some AAMC practice tests though. I did very well on the AAMC practice tests, but was not very confident walking out of the MCAT. The jury is still out on the results. If they suck, I am damn sure getting some extra study material.:mad:

can you elaborate on what kind of genetics you saw on june 13th? Meiosis and mitosis stuff?

what would be a good review book for genetics then?

hoju-my fingers are crossed for you, keep us posted on how you did because i was also studying soley from ek and now i'm quite worried

I thought June 13th genetics wasn't that bad. EK certainly covered it.

I'm really surprised to hear all of the negativity about EK. I would attribute my 12 in the PS section to them. I started off using Kaplan, but bought a couple of EK books after I realized how detailed Kaplan was getting. EK seems to focus on the meat and potatoes of what you need to understand. This time around, I am using only EK materials and AAMC tests.

I'm really surprised to hear all of the negativity about EK. I would attribute my 12 in the PS section to them. I started off using Kaplan, but bought a couple of EK books after I realized how detailed Kaplan was getting. EK seems to focus on the meat and potatoes of what you need to understand. This time around, I am using only EK materials and AAMC tests.

are you following the ek study plan?

the recent positive reviews on ek make me a feel a lot better *sigh of relief*

I studied with EK Bio and Gen Chem last time around, but this time I did the full Kaplan online course. In comparison, EK seemed a little too condensed. They glossed over more than they should have in terms of meiosis/mitosis minutia as well as inheritance and pedigree stuff. I agree with the above poster that recommends using multiple sources if you can to cover all your bases.

are you following the ek study plan?

the recent positive reviews on ek make me a feel a lot better *sigh of relief*

Nope. I am just pluggin away at my own pace. I'm about 3/4 done with all of the books and almost 1/2 done with the 101 VR book (already completed the regular book). They suggest reading each chapter 2 (or 3?) times, and that just doesn't help me. I learn best through practice. After I get through with content review and doing all of the problems along the way, I will be switching over to the 1001 books and doing as much as I can, especially in any weak areas. Near the end, I'll hit the AAMC tests. That's my plan.

I think one's preferred/required review material just depends on how well one learned the material during the actual courses, and how well that material is retained. Some may need a more in-depth review, whereas others may only need a condensed review.

what would be a good review book for genetics then?

hoju-my fingers are crossed for you, keep us posted on how you did because i was also studying soley from ek and now i'm quite worried

Will do. I'll find out July 1 or 2 hopefully.

i've recently been adding in some gold standard stuff for bio, chem and organic just because their info is presented in a really easy and uncomplicated way. they also have some short tricks to remember some info. i also bought kaplan, but i haven't cracked that open yet...