Anyone studying right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone studying and taking breaks on line like me? What are you studying and from what source?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty much done with most of my practice material, so i did one of my firend's MCAT #1 verbal today. i think it was way too easy. i suck at verbal and it went well for me.

i'm gunna finish up my EK gen chem 1001 Questions and do some in the physics book too.

i'm so scared.

i'm at the library studying, but taking email breaks like every 30 min. haha!
i can't help it- i am running out of patience for this crap. i'm really bored of it, which is not to say i know everything by any means.
i'm doing bio passages from the aamc practice passages...i just did one that i managed to okay on, but had no idea what the f*ck it was talking about..it was the one about compost and the % of biomass....don't know what the relevance was, but found most of it to be reading comp.
i'm gonna review chemistry tonight and do some chem passages....
my main focus for this week is to do passage after passage until i feel like throwing up.

drlady,

how have you been doing on your other aamc tests?
if you are going to study up until thursday, i would just take the test on saturday unless you are scoring under the mean, which is a 24.
you have worked so hard for the whole summer...it would be a bummer if you made your decision on one practice test. also, judging from how people's scores having been fluctuating so much, i wouldn't say any of these tests are an exact indicator of what you will get, although if your scores on all of them are in the same ballpark, that is a different story.
anyway, good luck!!! and i think you should just take it on saturday with confidence....if you have studied, it'll definitely pay off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely studying right now (well, not right now, I'm taking the usual SDN break). Still working on the AAMC stuff, I'm up to #6.

120 hours from now, we'll all be free of all of this!

G'Luck

Hi Dr. Lady,

I think you should take it on Saturday regardless. You've been studying for a good period of time and it'd be crazy if you don't give it a shot.

Here's the thing, if you feel that you did bad, you can always void it. You'll lose the 170 bucks or so , but at least then you won't have any what ifs. By what ifs, I mean, what IF all the verbal passages are on subjects you like? What if the science passages were all based on your strongest topics?

You never know.

Go in there with confidence and kick its butt.

- Focus

Test #6 today...ugggh! I haven't had a verbal go this poorly since...well, never.

DrLady, don't base your score on 6, I've heard it's the worst!

I am about to take a princeton review test. All I am doing this week is taking tests and then reviewing what I did wrong. (which is everything). I am at the point of no return. I did make an appointment for friday to calm my nerves. I am going to the spa. Have any of you guys watched your score go down in the last week. I am struggling with verbal and dont know what to do. I cant seem to finish the kaplan practice tests. Any suggestions?
Well I have to get back to this crap.

One more thing for Dr Lady, This is coming from experiance I think you should make up your mind about whether or not you are going to take the test and then do it. No going back or forth or waiting to see what you get on six. Half the battle is having the confidence that your going to kick some butt. You sell your self short. I did this in April. No one ever feels ready to take this test but confidence is the key. If you are waivering by friday then your not going to have enough time to mentally prepare yourself. Your giving yourself an out. Go into the test, take it, yes the whole thing and if you know for sure 100% you didnt do well then void it. You lost 170 dollars but on the bright side you gained experiance. The doctor I work for told me that nothing prepares you for the real thing. He was right. We all need to support eachother and know that We are all going to kick butt. So do it.
You might just suprise yourself.
Take care.
ES

I HATE THIS!!! Sorry...score went down today...this is not so hot. Does ANYONE feel like they are going to do well on Saturday? I just don't know where to go from here :(

i don't feel ready! verbal bites.

i was wondering, is anyone thinking of taking it next april instead? i think i might do that...its just that i don't wanna have to take classes and worry about the mcat at the same time...hm, decision decisions....

I did the same thing on the april MCATs this spring. I hadn't finished physics or bio yet, so I backed out last minute, and even got $100 of my fee back, but i don't know that it was worth it. I said I would study a lot before August, but then my summer got busy, and I didn't study that much more. I know my score is going to be higher on account of more classes, but its not worth it if you're not going to be taking them. 8 months is long enough to forget all of the studying you've done this summer, help you forget more of your classes, and its only that much harder to start studying again, for the second time.

Take the test, and if you do horribly, take it again once you get that slap in the face from the first run to make you work. Besides, practice tests aren't a perfect tool to evaluate how you'll do. I don't think I know anyone outside of this board who didn't do better on the real thing than the passages, on account of the pressure, and being just a little more careful on every question.

Good luck to ya'll

DrLady, don't feel like a failure. I know how you feel because I am not doing very hot either. I have taken 6 diag tests and my scores are also too embarrassing to post. And I too studied like crazy this summer. Only now do I realize that its not how much I study, but how much I apply the knowledge that I already know to the test. Right now I am at the library, doing passage after passage. For me, I am just going to try my hardest, and be confident, which is the most important thing, and take the exam this Saturday. I have realized that having confidence is the most important part of taking the MCAT because my scores have improved when I tell myself its just a test, not something that will impair me for life. For me, the reasons I am going to take the exam, even though my scores are not so great are as follows:
1) For experience and getting a feel in the high tension environment.
2) Because I studied so much this summer, I feel like I owe it to myself to at least take the exam.
3) If I really feel like I did not do so great on the exam, then I can always void it.
4) Plus I already paid $180.00 for the dam exam and if I were to get a refund I would only get $80.00 back.
5) In addition, med schools like to see improvment, so if I take the MCAT again, I know I will do a lot better and I will be better prepared for it next time.

So, I hope this helps. I know its frustrating, but we cannot give up!
By the way, is anyone as frustrated as I am when trying to log into this program? I had to change my user name 3 times to post material.

Med schools will know that I voided a score? I thought the point of voiding was that med schools would not find out that I took the exam by voiding it?

They will know. It's noted on your exam record that you sat for the exam and voided your score. So they don't see your score, but they see that you sat for the exam, and can infer that you weren't happy with your performance.

How do ya'll like the EK 1001 question books? Do you questions involve good critical thinking, or are they just simple discretes?

Originally posted by Samoa
They will know. It's noted on your exam record that you sat for the exam and voided your score. So they don't see your score, but they see that you sat for the exam, and can infer that you weren't happy with your performance.

hi samoa

are you 100% SURE schools know you voided it? cuz i had a smilar thread earlier about voiding scores and people had come to the decision that VOIDED scores won't show up!

ahhhh,
does anyone know for SURE?

well, i guess if you don't take it at all, you get 100 bucks back at least =D

for me, i'm thoroughly prepared for science (at least i hope so), but its verbal that has me down....so its up to verbal and then i'll decide whether or not to void...good luck on the mcat though!

thanks for the clarification..

I don't know about you guys, but after all the stuff the MCAT Gods are putting us through....studying for months, spending $2100 in Prep Course and MCAT test, NO social life (in the SUMMER!), having to wake up a 6:00 AM, etc...

Let's DADDY this test!!!!!!!!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

When you void your test it is never graded and no one knows that you took it except for the mcat people. You can call to check but I know from experiance. If you dont release your score then the med schools see that you took it but if you void it then it is never corrected.
ES