Anyone successfully complete all of their electives away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moto

RHA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that even possible? Are there usually restrictions on how many away electives you can do?

Members don't see this ad.

My school only offers electives in the 4th year

We can do up to 4 away rotations.
No more than 3 rotations in the same specialty (home or away)

I'm not sure if this is the norm for most other schools. I get the feeling that DOs do a lot of away rotations

It depends on the school. AT OSU (oklahoma state) we get 8 electives, which I used 7 of in fourth year, thus spending almost all (7 out of 10) of 4th year rotations in chicago. Additionally, 4 of those elective must be "primary care" thank God ER and ICU/Medicine count as primary care. (I did ER at community hopital, ER at level one trauma center, ICU at LEVEL I, medicine at County, Ortho trauma at level I, anesthesia at community, Pulmonology/critical care at level I) It was a good experience, and a chance to see more trauma and pathology than in oklahoma. (which is helping me some now, with our knife and gun club).
It just Depends on the school - remember it is hard coordinating all that paperwork form outside hospitals to your home school, and as elelctives at OSU were pass/fail and many of my rotations required a end of rotation test, my motivation laid purely in getting a good SLOR (and of course my own education.)

Hope that helps

The Mish

We had to be at one core hospital and clinic in our third year, but the rest were electives that we could set up, especially in the fourth year. I knew several people who basically lived out of their car 4th year. But I think that our school is changing their policies because it is becoming harder for them to set up.