Anyone switch from Dentistry to Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering for those who have done this successfully or are thinking about doing it, what are your reasons for switching from dentistry to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering for those who have done this successfully or are thinking about doing it, what are your reasons for switching from dentistry to medicine?

It's amazing that nobody did that.
just have a look at this:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=334645
this is the opposite.

people here talking about why they decided to switch from medicine to dentistry.

Not sure why you bumped a ten year old thread, but anyway, dentistry -- like medicine -- self-selects. I'm not a dentistry basher, but plenty of people go that route because they don't want to deal with some of the crappier things inherent to medicine. I don't blame them.

Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.[/QUOTE]

That's why they go for specialties like Public Health Dentistry, Endodontics, Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (Oral Surgeon), Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, and General Dentistry.

Btw being a dentist has it's perks:
-Flexible hours
-No on-calls
-Good salary
-less stress

There was one dentist guy who said "My M.D friends prefer to look a diseased vagina rather than a diseased tooth.":laugh: