SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone switch from Dentistry to Medicine?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by j66, Dec 6, 2001.

1. j66

j66 Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2001
    Seattle
    I was just wondering for those who have done this successfully or are thinking about doing it, what are your reasons for switching from dentistry to medicine?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jayangelo

jayangelo

Mar 13, 2010
  4. Not sure why you bumped a ten year old thread, but anyway, dentistry -- like medicine -- self-selects. I'm not a dentistry basher, but plenty of people go that route because they don't want to deal with some of the crappier things inherent to medicine. I don't blame them.

Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.

5. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2007
    The ivory tower.
    OMFS guys are often have dual degrees. Though I don't think they chose that route because they were bored with dentistry, but rather wanted to do more complex reconstructions.

6. jayangelo

jayangelo

Mar 13, 2010
    Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.[/QUOTE]

That's why they go for specialties like Public Health Dentistry, Endodontics, Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (Oral Surgeon), Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, and General Dentistry.

Btw being a dentist has it's perks:
    -Flexible hours
    -No on-calls
    -Good salary
    -less stress

There was one dentist guy who said "My M.D friends prefer to look a diseased vagina rather than a diseased tooth.":laugh: