1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone switch from Dentistry to Medicine?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by j66, Dec 6, 2001.

1. j66

j66 Member
    10+ Year Member

I was just wondering for those who have done this successfully or are thinking about doing it, what are your reasons for switching from dentistry to medicine?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jayangelo

Pre-Dental
  4. Not sure why you bumped a ten year old thread, but anyway, dentistry -- like medicine -- self-selects. I'm not a dentistry basher, but plenty of people go that route because they don't want to deal with some of the crappier things inherent to medicine. I don't blame them.

Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.

5. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OMFS guys are often have dual degrees. Though I don't think they chose that route because they were bored with dentistry, but rather wanted to do more complex reconstructions.

6. jayangelo

Pre-Dental
    Would think that the "majority" of DDS/DMD -> MD people are going to be the ones who decide that they're way more bored with general dentistry than previously thought.[/QUOTE]

That's why they go for specialties like Public Health Dentistry, Endodontics, Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (Oral Surgeon), Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, and General Dentistry.

Btw being a dentist has it's perks:
    -Flexible hours
    -No on-calls
    -Good salary
    -less stress

There was one dentist guy who said "My M.D friends prefer to look a diseased vagina rather than a diseased tooth.":laugh: