Anyone take extra time off to study for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cali7925

If anyone took extra time off school to study for boards, let me know...especially if you were dealing with an anxiety problem in the meantime. Is it worth it to take extra time or just take the exam even if you havent covered all the material?

Members don't see this ad.

edit: You just started your 2nd year?

IMO, it's a seriously bad idea to plan on not starting third year on time. Only take time off if you're sure you aren't ready come test time.

cali7925 said:
If anyone took extra time off school to study for boards, let me know...especially if you were dealing with an anxiety problem in the meantime. Is it worth it to take extra time or just take the exam even if you havent covered all the material?

Hi there,
I cannot imagine a medical school that would not cover all of the material needed for board exams. You study for your coursework and review for boards. If you are doing any serious learning at this point, you may have some difficulty passing.

I had a paid fellowship between second and third year so I was required to take USMLE Step I by the second week in May. Our second year ended on April 26 so I had about 2 weeks from the end of school to the text.

I started doing Q-Bank the week before finals ended and I did fine. Since I knew that I was on an accelerated path, I really didn't have much "anxiety" time. At no time did I entertain thoughts of not passing. It was a matter of getting my review done in a systematic fashion, taking the test and getting on with my fellowship.

I would not advise taking time off for Boards unless you have had a serious illness or have been diagnosed with a learning disorder. You need to get things done and get on with residency.

njbmd :)