Anyone take Provigil(Rx) to stay awake for studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USFpremed21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about students taking Provigil, which is a prescribed drug to stay awake? It is usually prescribed for people who are diagnosed with narcolepsy but when normal person takes it, it is supposed to keep you awake for 48 hours without affecting your accuracy and work performance. And unlike caffeine, which produces unwanted side effects and "rebound" sleep, this drug supposedly lets you get back to your normal life after getting regular amount of sleep after the 48 hour awake period.
Now, I don't have a narcolepsy, but as a pre-med student taking Organic, Physics, Calculus, Cell bio with three labs this semester, sometimes 24 hours/day is not enough. I'm tempted to try out this drug by ordering it from one of those pharmacy websites where you can buy without a prescription. Can anyone tell me if they've heard about this drug? To me, it sounds too good to be true. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend against taking any prescription drugs without the guidance of a doctor. With those online pharmacies you never know what you are getting. Plus it has interactions with MAO inhibitors and drugs that affect the CP450 pathway. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Hmmm...not a good idea. I highly doubt that you will be able to stay up for that long with full concentration. Also, if you feel this way now, what will you do in med school? Stay away from that stuff...try coffee or something like that. It works well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by USFpremed21
Has anyone heard about students taking Provigil, which is a prescribed drug to stay awake? It is usually prescribed for people who are diagnosed with narcolepsy but when normal person takes it, it is supposed to keep you awake for 48 hours without affecting your accuracy and work performance. And unlike caffeine, which produces unwanted side effects and "rebound" sleep, this drug supposedly lets you get back to your normal life after getting regular amount of sleep after the 48 hour awake period.
Now, I don't have a narcolepsy, but as a pre-med student taking Organic, Physics, Calculus, Cell bio with three labs this semester, sometimes 24 hours/day is not enough. I'm tempted to try out this drug by ordering it from one of those pharmacy websites where you can buy without a prescription. Can anyone tell me if they've heard about this drug? To me, it sounds too good to be true. What do you all think?

I would drop cell bio before I took pills to keep up.

If you go full steam for 48 hours you will crash. Anything that causes a physiological high is followed by a physiological depression.

Plus, taking stimulants to keep up is kind of pussin' out.

i'm not doubting the results, i'm sure it works as well as the cases i have read say they do, but i do have uncertainties regarding addiction. What if you like staying up so often that you decide to take them for an extended period of time, and when you finally do stop, you are so deprived of sleep that you go into a depression state? i just think hacking it out now would be more rewarding anyways....

Originally posted by USFpremed21

I just read through the fact sheet, available here:
http://www.provigil.com/pdf/prescribing_info.pdf

It definitely doesnt sound like something you want to take without seeing a doctor, and it will have a lot of the side-effects that taking an "upper" will give you (like speed, amphetamines, etc).

In any case, sleep supposedly allows your brain to recharge its neurotransmitters and absorb a day's learning. I think you would want both of those effects if trying to do well.

Then there is the case that this is simply undergrad, and that if you let yourself take this drug to stay awake, you will become dependent as classes only get more difficult as time goes on (and a quantum leap in difficulty once in med school).

Finally, what you are doing is really illegal, and if you get caught, you might not be able to practice medicine ever.

Its not worth it. Just drop one of your classes and take it next semester.

Forget about drugs! Just do it....it's all I have to say. We've been there, suffered through it, stayed up studying until our brains couldn't take anymore. And right now, it's all payed off.

Hang in there!

I have my own thoughts on this, it's a bit offtopic but here it is anyway. The cliched saying is that "The hardest part about med school is getting in". I believe that to a great extent that's true. I'm not saying that the classes are easy in med school or that most things you do in undergrad are on the same level of difficulty as med school. However, once you're in med school you'll find more time you can dedicate towards studying when the case demands it. If you have a test, you can dedicate as much time is necessary towards studying, reviewing notes, consulting faculty, and so on. In undergrad however, you have to maintain your grades while volunteering, doing research, playing on the school varsity team, running a literary society, playing in the community orchestra, and all the other hoops that you're required to jump through as a pre med in order to be considered a rounded and worthwhile applicant. While you may continue these activities in med school, if you need to put them on the back burner for a while while you focus on your studies, it's not so big a deal whereas if you try and do that as an undergrad, you are considered a worthless sack who can't handle anything and therefore are not worthy of med school. In that sense, undergrads are held to higher standards than med students are and need to take more drastic measures in their undergrad years than they might necessarily need to as a med student.

Wow, i feel such a bond between me and all the sleep-deprived, about to hit rock bottom, wishing they could finction on 2 hrs of sleep people on this thread. I'm going thru the same exact thing...more than my share of work, with the same amount of hours in a day.

I've started using caffiene pills. I love coffeee, i really do, but the diuretic effect is too much sometimes. But the hwole "rebound" sleep thing is so true. I take it one night and i'm good, the next night i'm out by 10pm.

I envy people that can sleep for 3-4hrs a night and be functional the next day. I'm trying to slowly work my way there. I like to get 8 hrs of sleep, but am actually functional at 6, maybe even 5 hrs sometimes.

In med school, i think life will be SOOOOOOO much easier. I'd love to sit and study my ass off all day...that's no problem...but then w/ all this extra fluff i have to keep up with so that i'm "well-rounded"...that's waht wastes my time.

I hope we can all retain our sanity and mental capacity until thanksgiving/winter break.

Lots of love..

Are any of you saying/expecting med school to be easier and less time consuming than undergrad actually in med school? I am not, but most people I know have said med school is ridiculously more time consuming and more difficult than undergrad. Id be interested to hear a med student tell me otherwise though, because I had not heard that.

Anyway, I dont think taking stims is worth it, I dont know the long-term effects of such drugs, but they cant be good.

I'm not saying that med school will be easy or less time consuming than undergrad, but I'm not going to be forced to take time I don't have to do extra carricular things. If I have to study, I can decide to give up other activities and spend time studying. But as an undergrad, you have to do everything you possibly can to make yourself a good candidate, and that means being in a lot of activities, and spending time being truly involved in them, and that means taking leadership roles, which takes more time away from studying. So in the end, you have less time for academics than you could otherwise spend if you weren't being so seriously judged by adcoms about what you do outside of class. In med school, you're through jumping through every hoop because you have to for the sake of an application, which is why in that sense, you can dedicate more time towards a harder medical school carricilum and still not have to necessarily pull all nighters while doing it.

Not that I'm recommending taking the stuff, but Provigil has been studied as a possible treatment for sleep disorders associated with shift work. In fact, it just had a label expansion. This is from a recent press release:

Cephalon, Inc. (Nasdaq: CEPH) announced today that the company has received an approvable letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to expand the label for PROVIGIL(R) (modafinil) [C-IV] beyond treatment for excessive daytime sleepiness associated with narcolepsy. The letter states that PROVIGIL is approvable for improving wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with shift work sleep disorder and in patients with obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome. Cephalon expects to launch these new indications for PROVIGIL in the first quarter of 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised to see folks in medicine using it to get through long shifts. I've not heard about people using it for studying until now.

Originally posted by AverageMan
I'm not saying that med school will be easy or less time consuming than undergrad, but I'm not going to be forced to take time I don't have to do extra carricular things. If I have to study, I can decide to give up other activities and spend time studying. But as an undergrad, you have to do everything you possibly can to make yourself a good candidate, and that means being in a lot of activities, and spending time being truly involved in them, and that means taking leadership roles, which takes more time away from studying. So in the end, you have less time for academics than you could otherwise spend if you weren't being so seriously judged by adcoms about what you do outside of class. In med school, you're through jumping through every hoop because you have to for the sake of an application, which is why in that sense, you can dedicate more time towards a harder medical school carricilum and still not have to necessarily pull all nighters while doing it.

I think the work differential between undergrad and med school more than compensates for the loss of a majority of ECs (if you choose that route). But I would be interested to hear what actual med students would have to say about this. I think premeds in general (including myself) would like to think that "getting in is the hardest thing to do" and that our level of work at our undergrads is as intense as it can get, but from what I hear, we are in for a huge shock once med school starts.

But I guess it depends on where you go to med school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoever told you that getting in was the hardest part lied to you. and this is from someone who, as an undergrad, worked 30 hours a week on top of a full courseload and a bunch of random extracurriculuars here and there.

getting in is not the hardest part. successfully navigating and storing the incredible volume of information without going nuts is the hardest part. finding time to clean your house in between studying and socializing and volunteering is up there w/hard stuff, too. ;)

some units are easier than others and free time is abundant during these easier units (kinda varies by school, though), but there are weeks when it's all day, every day, regardless of which school you attend. it takes a fine degree of focus (and a little bit of masochism) that you won't really appreciate until you get here.

and btw, most people do out-of-class activities in med school, too. just the volunteering is more medically-related and interesting, so people *want* to do it, rather than feeling as though they *have* to (i.e. undergrad) ... well, maybe the freak gunners being the exception as they run for 6 class officer positions and chair 18 committees for no other reason but to show "leadership" on their resume... yes, folks, we have them here too.

i'm telling you, you will be laughing at the "getting in is the hardes part" after you cover a SEMESTER'S worth of immunology in about 2 weeks.

anyway, all that being said, i don't regret my decision to start down this road of hoo-ha one bit! :)

i work weekends, and im taking the same stuff your taking, and i manage with some volunteering. Dont tell me theres no time, no need for drugs, its all about fine tuning the time management skills

Okay, okay...
I see that you all are very much against the idea of taking Provigil although it is not a stimulant drug. Well, I have a confession to make: I had ordered a bottle of 30 count 200 mg and it arrived today. I just wanted to get a feedback from you guys before taking it. So far, it has been two hours after taking 200 mg and I feel fine. My pulse is 80 and I'm still alive so I guess we'll see what happens. I'll post throughout the night(I will be up all night) to let you all know how I'm doing. I don't recommend it to anyone - but for me, caffeine has failed and this is a quick fix, at least for now.

(going back to sit in front of the desk, awaiting more "SHAME ON YOU FOR PUSSIN OUT - IF WE CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT TOO" replies.... )

It's been said already. If you need provigil now, what are you going to use during med school (speed??). But i'm interested in how it works for you. keep us posted.

ahh mann...i did my undergrad at USF and now im in louisiana :( ...

u make me miss USF...USF is awesome...

but, anyhow...comon mann, wassup with the "have to stay up 48 hours stuff.."

on the other hand, ive never taken that many difficult classes at once...is this necessary?

Originally posted by Gleevec
I think premeds in general (including myself) would like to think that "getting in is the hardest thing to do" and that our level of work at our undergrads is as intense as it can get, but from what I hear, we are in for a huge shock once med school starts.

Good monenky echoed your sentiments below but i have a hard time beliving that getting in is not the hardest part...

I may be commiting an error of good statistic interpretation and god knows i been liberal with my criticim of others (JKDmed) for the same but....

Does the bare fact that hardly anyone fails out of med school say that in some way it MUST be easier? I mean....if only half get in...but about 99% STAY in....it seems like the hard part IS getting in.

I could understand, while alot more work is involved in making though med school, it is some......newly acquired work ethic one gets when the begining medschool that allows them to stay in.....it seems like a stretch to think that.....

People dont change that much.......

Post every hour and let us know how you feel for the sake of science.

I'd worry about the psychological addiction. You'll get used to staying awake and getting so much done, that you'll become dependent on it. When you try stop, my guess is that you'll be depressed by having to go to sleep so often. You'll feel like a slacker and get depressed. Then you'll be battling a psychological addiction as well as depression.

Being dependent on any kind of pharmaceutical seems like a bad idea to me.

-X

I guess in regards to increased difficulty of med school, I am considering competitiveness of the school, desire for certain grades/residency, etc.

Also, the reason no one fails is because there is a ridiculous amount of support involved, and that there have been two rounds of selection already on students (at the undergrad and med school level). They dont jack up your grades for you as much as they let you retake tests and such, but these are probably not the individuals that will be going for "competitive" residencies anyway.

I guess it really depends on what your goals are and what school you are going to, but I have heard med school is much harder than undergrad regardless of whether you cut out all your ECs or not-- there is that much work. While pre-clinical might be slightly harder, clinical rotations are pretty time consuming and draining from what I hear, so I guess thats a big part of what Im taking about.

Ah well, time will tell.

Granted I am only half way through the first quarter so my opinion may change dramaticaly over the next couple of months, but so far after one round of midterms including gross anatomy I have to say that Med school is easier than Undergrad. I think that this is largely because I worked 30+ hours a week, volunteered and took a full course load all 4 years of undergrad. So once I stopped doing all that and just studied (which I enjoy) classes are kinda a breeze.
Again I must say that I am only just beginning so this opinion may change...and from what I have heard WILL change come third year for sure. Good luck to all of you...and taking drugs to stay awake is weak. Suck it up man.

We sacrifice about 50% of our troop to conquer the war (admitting process) and 2.5% more (or about 5% of the matriculants) during the occupation.

no, people fail. think about it. you have people who were good enough to get into medical school, good enough to get into michigan, and they fail. these people probably never failed anything in their lives! there are make-up exams and make-up courses, so that's how most people end up passing. but if medical school was over after one fail, there would be quite a large number of people dropping out of school.

i mean, if undergrad was hard, there would be no way that the avg accepted gpa would be 3.6. 3.6 is like getting a A- avg, and that's like EVERYONE from harvard to meharry students.

Yeah I guess I should clarify. Im pretty sure preclinical is as hard as most difficult/rigorous undergraduate curriculua + ECs and whatnot. Im really talking about med school as a whole, and specifically clinical rotations, which I think we can all agree are going to be more difficult than anything we have ever seen in undergrad.

Preclinical might or might not be significantly worse than undergrad, but Im pretty sure Clinicals are going to knock our socks off in terms of time/difficulty, at least based on the time commitments I have heard about while interviewing. In any case, it should be interesting to see.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
there are make-up exams and make-up courses, so that's how most people end up passing. but if medical school was over after one fail, there would be quite a large number of people dropping out of school.

Right....but taken as a whole....you must consider that in undergrad if you fail a class...thats your azz. no med school for you.

But in med school you can fail once or twice.....That itself could allow the entire med school experience as a whole be easier.

I have no doubts that you study more and work harder in a sense..but in another sense...its easier beacuse of all of the things mentioned...the support...the remidial option...the fact that you KNOW your in med school must go a long way toward inspiring you too...all of that taken together to me means the likelyhood of success in med school is more likely than gettign in in the first place.

I didnt apply to U mich. Not because i didnt think i could hack it, but because i knew i wouldnt get in. And i really dont think anyone would argue with those two evaluations. Thats where im coming from.

:eek: Can't believe that chemicals are also used to aid/enhance some performance in this community too. :(

Originally posted by hightrump
Right....but taken as a whole....you must consider that in undergrad if you fail a class...thats your azz. no med school for you.

But in med school you can fail once or twice.....That itself could allow the entire med school experience as a whole be easier.

I have no doubts that you study more and work harder in a sense..but in another sense...its easier beacuse of all of the things mentioned...the support...the remidial option...the fact that you KNOW your in med school must go a long way toward inspiring you too...all of that taken together to me means the likelyhood of success in med school is more likely than gettign in in the first place.

I didnt apply to U mich. Not because i didnt think i could hack it, but because i knew i wouldnt get in. And i really dont think anyone would argue with those two evaluations. Thats where im coming from.

I think hightrump and I assume two different types of student behavior, correct me if I am wrong hightrump.

Im assuming that undergrads have enjoyed a relative amount of success in undergrad that they will hope to maintain in medical school. But since everyone in med school was already so successful in undergrad, to achieve a similar relative level of success takes a much greater amount of work, even if you subtract some ECs (because the coursework is that much harder, and your classmates are that much smarter).

That is my rationale, based on what Ive heard from med students during interviews.

I think hightrump and I assume two different types of student behavior, correct me if I am wrong hightrump.

Im assuming that undergrads have enjoyed a relative amount of success in undergrad that they will hope to maintain in medical school. But since everyone in med school was already so successful in undergrad, to achieve a similar relative level of success takes a much greater amount of work, even if you subtract some ECs (because the coursework is that much harder, and your classmates are that much smarter).

That is my rationale, based on what Ive heard from med students during interviews.

I agree that the absolute value of the work is greater for sure. But difficulty is more than just that right?
To be in the top 10% of your medschool class is tougher than the top 10% in undergrad. But the question I was trying to answer is "Is the hardest part getting in (compared to staying in)"
I think acceptance and attrition rates are all we have to go on.
I would not argue with the point that more WORK is involved with staying in than getting in. But like i asserted before..i dont think that the amount of work involved is adequate to quantify difficulty. I used to work 3 jobs to pay for my school and it was EASY. Now I have trouble flushing the toilet. The absolute value of the work, for me, is only a minor concern. It is the intangibles, the things an outside observer cannot see, that make things difficult for us or easy. But you said it well enough "we will see when we get there" but like i said....i know my as* isnt getting into U mich (damn you :) ) ...but I know i could hack i there.

Originally posted by hightrump
I agree that the absolute value of the work is greater for sure. But difficulty is more than just that right?
To be in the top 10% of your medschool class is tougher than the top 10% in undergrad. But the question I was trying to answer is "Is the hardest part getting in (compared to staying in)"
I think acceptance and attrition rates are all we have to go on.
I would not argue that more WORK is involved with staying in than getting in. But like i asserted before..i dont think that the amount of work involved is adequate to quantify difficulty. But you said it well enough "we will see when we get there"

Oh, Im not talking about simply "staying in", Im talking about reaching a relative level of success similar to levels achieved in undergrad. I agree completely that its easier to "stay in" med school than in undergrad. But I also think its much much harder to be at the top of your class of med school than it was for any undergrad.

Originally posted by calcrew14
:eek: Can't believe that chemicals are also used to aid/enhance some performance in this community too. :(

i know it! to the op - please do yourself and the medical community a favor....don't rely on this psychological crutch this early on...without a prescription to boot = illegal, unethical, but most importantly it's indicative of lack of self-confidence and belief in your inherent abilities. NOT a good mental setting for entering med school. regardless of whether med school is harder or not than your current schedule, it is definitely going to present scenarios where your ego will be bruised (if not destroyed) on top of days where you are swamped with academic pressures. if you don't have a strong trust in your own intelligence/abilities, it's going to be a very, very, long and painful road ahead.

Bottom line: if your semester is that bad, DROP A CLASS.

Oh, Im not talking about simply "staying in", Im talking about reaching a relative level of success similar to levels achieved in undergrad. I agree completely that its easier to "stay in" med school than in undergrad. But I also think its much much harder to be at the top of your class of med school than it was for any undergrad.

"I agree completely that its easier to "stay in" med school than in undergrad"

I meant easier to say in medschool that to get into med school, not stay in undergrad. But either way...yeah....

Yeah...i know that being AOA and going Ortho or somthing is going to take a monumental effort on my part the likes of which I have never produced. I hope i grow the balls soon :)

Not advocating using drugs illeagally in anyway but.. is it possible to drop a class in November? At my undergrad it was not possible to drop a class this late in the semester.

Originally posted by spumoni620
i know it! to the op - please do yourself and the medical community a favor....don't rely on this psychological crutch this early on...

:clap:

And when is the best time in a doctors career for substance abuse? ;)

Checking in...
Still awake and studying
Pulse 84/min

are you feeling more awake than you would normally at this hour?

Just wondering cause normally *I* am awake at this time and dont' feel tired...
Actually I probably would be the person to use something to help me GO to sleep rather than stay awake. Benadryl does NOTHING for me ... but that's something else altogether.

I agree with what the posters above have said. If your semester is that bad (and it sounds pretty bad...Cell bio, physics, orgo, etc)...than drop 1 (or 2) of those classes. You can replace them with easy (aka..humanities) courses in case you fall below the credit hour minimum at your school. In my opinion, nothing is really worth risking your health...and taking these drugs (illegally at that) to put your body into overdrive for 48 hours straight really seems like it would take a toll on you both mentally and physically. I know students who take "No Doz" (caffeine pills..OTC) so they can stay up later to work on lab reports, problem sets, etc. After the week is over...they usually just collapse due to exhaustion and sleep away most of their weekend hours. I had one friend who used to sleep for 14 hours straight on Fridays because he barely got any sleep at all during the week.

I concur with GoodMonkey.

Getting in is the easy part. Staying sane while devouring hundreds of pages of text is the hard part (and all I use to study is my notebook!).

The OP does hit on a good point though. You now understand why doctors and lawyers have such a high substance abuse rate (the highest of all professions).

Undergrad was a joke in comparison. But oddly enough, I'm happy :)

Maybe I have lost my mind.............

getting into med school is harder than staying in? please people...if u havent experienced med school, then wait till you are there to find out...here's a quote I found in one of my classmates profiles, not sure where its from, but you could definitely apply it to med school:

From the outside looking in, you cannot understand it, on the inside looking out, we cannot explain it.

i heard of someone in college who stayed up for like 2 or 3 days with no sleep and ended up having seizures... she didnt even realize... she just thought it seemed like she blacked out, cuz she cant remember her seizures... luckily, people were there to take her to the hospital...

SLEEP IS GOOD... no matter how much u feel u need to stay awake, its nothing to risk your health over....

no no no you are all wrong

getting in is not the hard part and neither is medical school or staying sane. the hard part is checking your answers after guessing on half the questions because you blew off 5 days of the week. let me tell you, the anticipation and fear during those 30 seconds of scrolling down and hoping to see "2 out of 2" on the computer screen is tough. and when you see a string of "0 out of 2"s then it's worse than a splitting headache in the morning of a hangover.

the hard part is staying awake during a half day lecture about complimentary and alternative medicine.

the hard part is trying to find structures in netters, because not only is the book's index system ******ED, but the names are different and it is incomplete. and then once you actually find the right page number, you flip to it and you see 50 structures tagged on that single page so you're basically **** outta luck, scanning the entire page 3 times just to find that magic word from the review list. and then once you do that, you actually have to follow the line to see what the word is pointing at without losing track of which line you were following.

Checking in at 4:26 AM
- still going strong (I think?)
- have managed to memorize alkene addition reactions(not sure about all of mechanisms, tough) and alkynes for orgo exam on monday.
- woo hoo ! (but... it's so quiet)
- but... I think I have munches...

(goes off to the kitchen in search of some food)

I want a cardio surg res. and I have gotten greater than 90% on all tests...Still med school is harder than undergrad. Figure out Netter's a few days before and it should not be a problem.

Hmm...

is the OP still alive?

Okay... so maybe I DO have a narcolepsy... According to the fact sheet, its effect is supposed to last about 8 hours for a person with a diagnosed narcolepsy. Well, I took mine around 7 PM last night and was up until 7 AM this morning. I wasn't extremely sleepy but I knew I could take a good nap. I took a five hour nap/sleep and got up at noon today and took another 100 mg(half dosage) and have been studying so far for my test tomorrow.
For me, the "alertness" peaked at the first three to six hours. After that, I was just "awake." So I guess the 200 mg of Provigil has 12 hour alert effect without any side effects of caffeine(jitteriness, elevated pulse rate, anxiety, rebound sleep), at least for me. I think I must have misunderstood the article which stated that it allows a normal person to go 48 hours without any sleep. I guess you must take the pill every 12 to 24 hours to achieve that effect.
Again, I don't recommend this to anyone - I am doing this because I have a huge orgo exam and need as much as studying time as I can get. I know, I know, I should manage my time better, drop a class(which is impossible at this time of the year because it's too late), and all that good stuff.
But I'm alive and well and so far, things are going well.

Dude this has got to be the best thread ever. I can't wait for SnS to post his own experiences with ketamine, or some such. OP, what's your temperature, ins and outs, arterial blood gases, Glascow coma score, Apgar score?

Also, can you try methylphenidate for your next exam? How about MDMA? This sure is a stimulating thread.

USFpremed21 - Have you also noticed incrreased concentration and focus? Or just a feeling of alertness?

Hey USFpremed21, could you PM me and tell me which online pharmacy carries Provigil? I browsed google for 45 min and could not find one place that has it..