Anyone take Provigil(Rx) to stay awake for studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by USFpremed21
Provigil is not a stimulant or an amphetamine - read this article if you are interested:

LA Times article on Provigil - "A Pill to Stretch Your Day"

http://www.provigil.com/pdf/prescribing_info.pdf

Actually, they dont know what provigil is. They havent characterized its pharmacodynamics at all.

All that is known is that it doesnt operate by the same mechanism as amphetamines. The company's own product sheet says its stimulant-like and amphetamine-like. But the real problem is that its side-effects are very similar to that of stimulants and amphetamines.

So while it doesnt operate by the same mechanisms as these other drugs (it operates by an unknown mechanism, which freaks me out more), it is habit-forming and it does lead to side effects of euphoria and other psychoactive effects resulting in mood, perception, and thinking changes.

Sounds a lot like a psychoactive stimulant to me, even though pharm. reps. might try to play it off as something else, the end result is the same.

never mind, i found many websites that sell it w/o prescrip (!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gamma Ray
never mind, i found many websites that sell it w/o prescrip (!)

that's not entirely accurate. The legal (i.e., not foreign) sites usually have doctors that write a prescription for you, and it is then filled by a licensed pharmacist. This is technically legal for drugs on certain schedules, but the FDA considers it to be substandard care. it's illegal in ANY case to have drugs shipped from another country, and it's illegal to be prescribe schedule II drugs (i.e., methylphenidate) online.

still, i can't imagine that the doctors that would sign up for such a service are entirely reputable, and they certainly don't have the information needed to determine if a certain drug is right for you.

I used to get those Provigil samples from the office. If I was working late (like midnight to the next evening), I would pop one. Though I never noticed an effect so I stopped taking them and just stuck with the head in cold water method.

I used to get those Provigil samples from the office. If I was working late (like midnight to the next evening), I would pop one. Though I never noticed an effect so I stopped taking them and just stuck with the head in cold water method.

that actually works! i've tried it before. but i've done the whole set up a contraption that when u start nodding off, a string gets pulled, and a rubber duckie squirts water at you. that didn't work. took more time to set it up then i did studying.