Anyone taken the Kaplan Step1 14 week or 16 week course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nellyakgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about the sign up for the kaplan step 1 course for either the 14 week or the 16 week. (Just to get it out of the way so you don;t ask these questions: I'm an FMG and I will be taking time off non-medical work to do the course. The time is not the issue in terms of making the choice between the 14w or the 16 w. And the 7 week was definetly not for me becuase I need more time to digest the subjects as it's been a long time since I took them. The 14 & 16 week simply spreads the material over a longer period vs. the 7w.)

As it has been explained to me by Kaplan, the additional benefit of the 16 w course over the 14 w course are the following:

1)The 16w course starts with 1 weeks worth of "conceptual lectures". These are 4 hours a day for 5 days and they tell you what the high yield areas are.

2)At the end of the course there are another 4 days or 4 hr/day recaps of the high yield areas

3)You get more 1on1 time with a tutor so you can ask more questions and get tailored feedback. 1 hour at the beginning and 1 hour at the end

4)At the end you have one 8 hour exam simulation.

Otherwise the 2 groups attend the same main lectures for the 14 weeks.

The difference in money is $1500. I'm wondering if anybody has attended either course or heard feedback from someone who has. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to do the 16 weeks.

Please don't give me answers such as "if you have $1500 to waste/throw around" . I don't have ANY money to waste or spare but if I hear feedback that it really makes a difference I will go for it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anyone who has taken the course, but I agree with knuckles that 4 months is a long time to study. Also, since the first and last week of the 16 wk plan are lecture style, it seems as though it would just be more passive learning; I think that any extra time you put in should just be cranking out questions instead of going to more lectures.
Good luck!

http://www.heightsofgreatones.blogspot.com
Tales of med school, USMLE prep, etc...